Thread: leather britches

Default leather britches

earlier today I strung up some pole beans to make up some leather britches. Hung them under a covered porch. It will be interesting to see how they dry. Later on it will be interesting to see how they taste.

I searched and searched the forum, thought we talked about this before.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I don't think I've ever had them. I've certainly never made them. This is an interesting method. I may have to give this a try. Did you string them before stringing them? Boy, that's a weird question. Did you remove the bean strings before sewing them up. I hope that's better.

We called the shuck or shell beans while growing up.........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

But you dried just the bean discarding the hull didn't you? I think this includes beans and hulls.

Didn't string them, just took a needle and thread and strung up a arms length. I threaded mine up through the middle of the green bean, not long ways but through the side.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

these strung up beans are cooked bean and hull, basically a dehydrated green bean.

Then don't let them dry too long....just till the get "leathery".....LOL.
    I just strings thru the ends....hang in garage....if you miss the leather stage...now you have shelly beans.

I wonder if you could dehydrate them and still have the same thing? You wouldn't have to worry about ending up with brown, dried out husks.

Hunter - If dried too long do they end up like the bean that hid from harvest? Brown, papery hull?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Leather jackets never dry to the brown husk, they just swivel up and wrinkle to a greenish brown tough texture. Before canning this was the preferred method of preserving green beans. Not all beans were preserved by drying them out like a rock.

My grandmother used to string them and hang them in the attic. She would string enough on each string for a "mess" of beans as she called it. Jut take down one string and it made a meal.

Cooking them is an experience. They have to simmer all day with a piece of fat pork. My people always used a cast iron pot, but I suppose any old pot will do. I remember them being a little on the salty side but that might have been due to cooking in salt pork or just my Grandmother's preference.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I wonder if you could dehydrate them and still have the same thing? You wouldn't have to worry about ending up with brown, dried out husks.

Hunter - If dried too long do they end up like the bean that hid from harvest? Brown, papery hull?
    Yes, that what I meant about "too long and becoming shelly beans"......Greenish brown hulls are the leather.....

And yeah, and cooked all day with salt pork or a hunk of fatty bacon.....

Never heard of stringing them length ways.....I would string them on the ends...one bean in (if that makes any sense.)

Yeah, it does. We buy bacon pieces specifically to add to green beans so there's bacon pieces, fat and strips around here all the time. This really sounds good!

Around here they used to call them "bacon ends"....had a lot of meat on them...and are a favorite....except they figured out how good they are and raised the price...LOL.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Around here they used to call them "bacon ends"....had a lot of meat on them...and are a favorite....except they figured out how good they are and raised the price...LOL.
    Over here they're called Hocks. And the price has trebled in the last 5 years since these cheffy types got on TV. Shame, a pot of anything always tastes better with a Bacon hock in it.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

LOL...Yes it does....Agreed.

I brought my leather britches inside, didn't want the dew to get to them.

here's a photo

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Now that looks right out of the frontier........cool pic.
    Thanks for posting.

I did a small batch of these this morning to see how it turns out. I appreciate you guys posting on this. I'd never heard of them before so it's been a learning day. Gotta love that.

Blog Entries

I've just done the same, Rick. Never heard of them before and my freezers are full, I don't have enough jars to can more beans, so I thought this might be worth a go. Yep, still love learning.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.