Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cabela's Bait and Switch .22 ammo

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    From what I checked out in recent months Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, and many others do not sell WMR (magnum .22) online only in stores, limited to what is on the selves thus having a photo and then you look at the details and it is only .22LR is a "bait and switch" by my definition. Other major retailers like Walmart, Academy Sports, and Dick's do not sell ammo online at all as from what I have seen. WMR has been difficult to find for several months but at least in Texas buckets of .22LR are getting easier to find. But not for 1-3 cents a round, those days are over and will never return, I am fairly certain.

I got drawn in by a popup ad while online while reading an online article that showed the CCI WMR photo and $4.99 per 50 rounds. THAT was misleading in my opinion. Then I clicked it and at the time it still did not say specifically .22LR but common sense told me it was. 10 cents per round for standard velocity in Texas is NOT a good deal. 4 cents per round is more like it. Std Velocity is fine for bolt action, or leaver action and at your own risk with a good quality rifle like Ruger 10/22. Subsonic with lead not brass bullets can be the best (most accurate) for bolt action high end competition shooting, but not plinking with semi-autos or small game necessarily.

It will be great news when .22WMR (magnum) is easily available online at any price!
    In all fairness, does Cabelas actually do their own web advertisements or do they sub it out to someone else ? Could have simply been a typo by whoever put the ad together - I've seen that happen numerous times through the years, especially online ! I was on a website once doing a search for a particular brand of boot, and everything in the add including the price matched what I was looking for except the picture. The picture was a charcoal grill !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

^^^ they were trying to imply that it was a "smoking hot deal"!!!!!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Banned

Lamewolf I agree. I told the saleman (Jamie was his name I alway try to remember names) that I suspected it was not what the photo showed that is why I had it shipped to store. He was very professionally about it, opened the box himself and checked (nothing online or on order ever said exactly what it was just .22LRN which is ambiguous to a ammo nerd like me) but he never insisted that I take delivery and refunded the money to my credit card. Then later as I was wondering around and heading over to the knife counter to look at those he asked me if I had found the .22WMR on the shelves and needed help with anything else. I had picked up 2 boxes of Hornday (Not 24 boxes! I had not been able to find Hornday elsewhere) and I thanked him again.

The 3rd party web contractor may get a bonus for number views or they may just not know the difference between all the different .22 or just hope to add the .22WMR caliber option soon. Who knows. Point is be careful, if shipping to store is an option you will be able to see what it really is and decline it. If they ship it to your home returning ammo may be impossible.

Banned

Default Successful day, but lots of driving around for few items.

Hunter63 DO NOT READ THIS JUST WALK ON BY!

Saturday I wanted to avoid the last minute procrastinators and get my hunt/fish license the first weekend they were available for the year here in Texas and my daughter wanted some Mac&Cheese that is available at Walmart but Kroger's grocery does not carry so I went 1/4 mile from my house to a Neighbor Walmart to get both. Got noodles then over to get license but the young Iranian man Reza (surprised a Redneck looking guy like me knew he was from there and said hi in Farsi to him, whatever). But their computer was not working, noticed they had 20 boxes of .22WMR for $10.27 each. Hey good deal, I'll take 3.

[URL="http://s296.photobucket.com/user/hangnhobo/media/Guns%20and%20Ammo/22wmr_maxi-mag-hp_zpshckweegv.jpg.html"]Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Then I drove to the next closest Walmart but the salesman there insisted that TX Hunt/Fishing licenses were not yet available. He did check on the price of the CCI Standard Velocity .22LR they had on the self and no one was buying for obvious reasons it was $3.47/50 compared to Cabela's for $4.99 no Texans buying there either. But he said about 100 boxes of Troy Landry 300 round of CCI Mini-Mags had sold out fast the day before (cycles much better.) So I did not argue with him about the license computer just went to Academy sports they had the tables all set up there no one in line buying licenses or .22LR plenty of both for sell. Got my H/F license but not .22LR I am way over stocked with that and went home happy having wasted a lot of time driving around but at least I got my license and did not stand in any lines. I had to track down sales people at both Walmarts to get someone to open the ammo cabinets, Reza was working in toys and had to go get a key.

OK...........Walking on by......

Plano ammo boxes on sale for $4.99 at Dick's.....Bought a few.......I use them for every thing...last one was used for a carry along trailer light tool box.

Display case was filled up with .22's.... many different brands Remington, Winchester, CCI.....single boxes for 50,....bricks, ......plastic 100 rd. boxes...
    I asked the kid how many can I buy...he said "All you want...What will it be?

I said..."Naw, not today..... I'm good"
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-17-2015 at 01:05 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yeesh Tx. All that for a fishing and hunting license? Ohio has theirs set up to where you can buy them online. Takes 5 mins and I don't even have to get dressed!

That is a good price on the .22mag. Good find. Last bit of mag I bought was Hornady at 13.99 a box and that was a while ago. Luckily, I don't shoot it a whole lot!

We get ours online too but I try to do the DNR folks a favor by getting dressed before I get on the site.

See what happens when, "I walk on by...."
    and....what's is this getting dressed stuff?.....who is undressed?...That's kinda of kinky, don't ya think?......They can see you?.....What?

Hunting license are on line....You sign up for what you want by marking the box...then they send it to you.

I just get the "May kill anything" license.

I figure if I'm undressed while on a gubment site, they are less apt to spy on me!

Wow, they don't send us anything. We just print it off. I always save a digital copy too because the license will get rotted out before the season is over.

Yep, same here. Just print it. I laminate mine to protect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yep, same here. Just print it. I laminate mine to protect it.
    I'd like to do that, but our print off licenses are a full sheet of paper and it is hard to fold laminated. I keep mine in a zip-loc sandwich bag, but moisture still finds a way in. Not a big deal. Grab laptop, open file, hit print and I am good to go again.

Wisconsin DNR does a lot of stupid stuff....but the license sales and printing are a good deal.

Whatever you order, is printed on in a big long tape....all permits, and applications, plus the back tag, (worn on back during deer seasons) which is the same for gun deer and archery....if you buy a Patrons license....which I do.

Covers everything except Federal Waterfowl Stamp
    Small game, large game, gun/bow, fishing (w/trout stamps inland/lake) turkey (w/stamp), waterfowl (w/state stamp), trapping applications, bear app., sturgeon app., as well as pheasant stickers (for state hunting grounds).....and State Park sticker and Magazine.

Separate licenses are printed the same way at any place that sells them.

Actually we used the same "tape printer" in the factory to identify in-process product.

Pretty slick.....Order on line, along with all applications for the year...yes or know check off box....and it gets mailed to you on line...or printed on the spot at a sales outlet.
    If you loose a permit...they can print you a new one for a small fee (couple of bucks)

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Vinyl tape .......weather proof.
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-18-2015 at 11:55 AM. Reason: replaced pic pic...

I'm still waiting for my bank to let me start printing money.

Banned

Obviously Texas allows people to buy whatever hunt/fish or super comb or non-residential y'all want online. But I think that does not start until next week end for annual that expires Aug 31, 2016. The laminated one from store is easier and I like to see and say Hi to those folks at physical stores, I know most of them by name. Normally it is an older white haired lady at the Walmart near me she said they would have them last weekend but was not working that day, and I needed Mac&Cheese and was not going to have Amazon 2 hour deliver it. Seems silly. I like talking to humans face to face. The guy at Academy Sport's name is Ben he gave me the direct line to call to ask to check if they have the ammo I am looking from him or the gun counter, the people there know me and all tell me what new and exciting came in, even if it is still in boxes and not out yet. Saturday one young guy spent 20 minutes showing me a FN semi-auto .45 that was great fully ambidextrous for just a little over $1000 normally about $1500. I never asked to see it he just knew I would like to check it out, but wife would use it to kill me if I bought it because unnecessary and redundant. Places like that are just "candy shops" for men and many Texas women as well. The young man and I also talked about him starting his first year at a local University next week, it is one I occsionally work with. Bottom line much better than staying home.

In Florida you can everything from the FWC site and they will send you the water resistant print outs. You can also print out your own. I keep a copy on my phone as well.

I buy the Gold Sportsman and that covers everything except the federal duck stamp which is also available through the site.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

In MA we can buy online. I get the "kill everything" license but it doesn't cover waterfowl or salt water fishing.
    We can also print out as many as we want. But it says right on the two deer tags that you can't use more than 2 even if you print more.
    They don't allow licenses to be worn on the back. They're afraid the idiots who pretend to be hunters will think it's a deer flag and shoot someone in the back. They do make you stop in a fish and game store for the sticker for the barrel of your shotgun if you want to go turkey hunting. It's to remind you to be sure that red or blue thing you are shooting at isn't some old geezer blowin his nose in a pretty-colored hanky.
    Honest. A flourescent green sticker. You are non-licensed for turkey if you don't have it.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Gold Sportsman's License (includes Hunting, Saltwater Fishing and Freshwater Fishing licenses; and Wildlife Management Area, Archery, Muzzleloading Gun, Crossbow, Deer, Turkey, Florida Waterfowl, Snook and Lobster permits)

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    Gold Sportsman's License (includes Hunting, Saltwater Fishing and Freshwater Fishing licenses; and Wildlife Management Area, Archery, Muzzleloading Gun, Crossbow, Deer, Turkey, Florida Waterfowl, Snook and Lobster permits)
    Yep - Gold Sportsman's License for me as well. Being retired military it is pretty cheap.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

The most logical choice for me in Texas is the Super Combo for $68, but I should have purchased the Lifetime decades ago when it was much cheaper, a friend told me to. Good thing about that is if you ever leave the state you can still hunt/fish for minor $7 annual fee to have it sent to you, same as a resident, if you live in other states like Oklahoma I think it is similar. Super Combo covers all the common critters like migratory birds: dove, quail, turkey common game animals like deer, also includes archery which normal hunting license does not only tags it does not include or very unusual ones like "CITIES tags" for alligator (only for taking one alligator on private property in limited counties). And obviously not big horn sheep and black bears which are highly restricted in TX, tags via lottery system, not even sure if these are available all years. I also have not paid $19 for trapping yet, not sure I will, few places to do that and it has its down side, some people think nutria are cute or their dogs jump out of canoe and inspect traps and then sue you for injuries even if dog ran onto your property. I like to avoid that drama. Dang tourists.

BTW super combo includes All Salt Water (inter-coastal etc.) and tags for Drum like extra large Red Fish (over 28") if you are lucky enough to catch one of those and for whatever reason want to keep it, I never do. The entire license is about the same size as tags from some other states: 3.5" x 10.5", four folds 5 sheets then size of ID/CC. I would never post a photo because it has my entire legal name, on each and every tag obviously.

Each tag is only about 1"x2". Depending on county I get 5 white tail tags, 2 mule deer tags, 4 turkey tags.
    Then live in OK for long enough get lifetime license there and have more fun...

Super combo free in Texas for these people:
    Disabled Veteran “Super Combo” (Type 502):FREE
    Available to a resident or non-resident qualifying as a disabled veteran. Disabled veteran means a veteran with a service-connected disability, as defined by the Veterans Administration, consisting of the loss of the use of a foot or leg or a disability rating of 60% or more, and who is receiving compensation from the U.S. for the disability. Official proof of disability (issued by the V.A.) must be shown when applying for this license and must state the rate of disability. Includes all five state stamp endorsements (archery, freshwater fishing, migratory game bird, saltwater fishing with a red drum tag, and upland game bird). The Federal Waterfowl Stamp is not included.

Texas Resident Active Duty Military
    Texas Resident Active Duty Military “Super Combo” (Type 510):FREE
    Available to any Texas resident on active duty in the U.S. Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard, Reserves or National or State Guard. Proof of residency

Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp (Duck Stamp) is an Extra $25 which is the same in every state I believe.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 08-19-2015 at 09:19 AM. Reason: BTW fun with tags in good counties

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    In Florida you can everything from the FWC site and they will send you the water resistant print outs. You can also print out your own. I keep a copy on my phone as well.

I buy the Gold Sportsman and that covers everything except the federal duck stamp which is also available through the site.
    Nothing personal Batch but I would not post my full legal name, DOB, height, Zipcode on a public forum... perhaps I am just paranoid about identity theft or something... there are tools on the internet that can be used with this to get all the rest of you personal info like exact addresses where you have lived for last few decades and even your SSN. This stuff just freaks me out.

BTW is cool that you are very close to exactly 3 years younger than me...
    Last edited by TXyakr; 08-19-2015 at 09:39 AM. Reason: thanks for tell us you birthday dude