Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rural Farm Problems and Questions

The neat thing about Arlo (above) is it is stored on their servers at no charge. So if someone does break in there is no tape to steal and even if they take your computer the video is still secure. As KY pointed out you can access it via desktop, laptop, pad or phone.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

There is also the difference between security in a suburban area and security in a rural area.

Making you home less a target, not as nice as the neighbors, rise bushes under the windows, a fenced lawn with a gate and good locks in a suburb setting are a great idea.

When you are living out of sight of any neighbor, off the road and out of sight of the occasional car passing by, the back of the house not visible to anyone not involved with a spy satellite are all recipes for intruders simply using a bolt cutters on the gate lock, driving around behind the shed and taking their time to break in, search the premises, load up what they want in their truck (or perhaps yours if it is on site), and making their escape.

You come home from work to find an empty house, workshop, sheds, and not a thing the sheriff can do except wait and see if your stuff turns up in a pawn shop 100 miles away.

I have been there and done that. I came home from a weekend trip to find my house stripped to the carpet and my workshop (read that as machine shop) emptied of tools. I lost over $100,000 in that one looting. They even stole our clothes!

Insurance paid only a portion, at yard sale value, and none of the sentimental value of furniture passed down through 4 generations, rare books gone, my home based business interrupted to the point of never recovering....

Back off the road, delightfully isolated, quiet and undisturbed, and no one saw anything. How many people does it take to pick up a Bridgeport mill and South Bend lathe, or clean out a house? How many trucks were in and out of that lonely country driveway during those two days?

No camera loaded home security systems back then. Nothing was ever recovered and 25 years down the road I have not had a single call to inform me that any of my marked and numbered milling machines, lathes or presses have ever been found.

While something like this is not the end of the world it can sure create a SHTF personal emergency that affects one's life forever.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-15-2015 at 04:47 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    There is also the difference between security in a suburban area and security in a rural area.

Making you home less a target, not as nice as the neighbors, rise bushes under the windows, a fenced lawn with a gate and good locks in a suburb setting are a great idea.

When you are living out of sight of any neighbor, off the road and out of sight of the occasional car passing by, the back of the house not visible to anyone not involved with a spy satellite are all recipes for intruders simply using a bolt cutters on the gate lock, driving around behind the shed and taking their time to break in, search the premises, load up what they want in their truck (or perhaps yours if it is on site), and making their escape.

You come home from work to find an empty house, workshop, sheds, and not a thing the sheriff can do except wait and see if your stuff turns up in a pawn shop 100 miles away.

I have been there and done that. I came home from a weekend trip to find my house stripped to the carpet and my workshop (read that as machine shop) emptied of tools. I lost over $100,000 in that one looting. They even stole our clothes!

Insurance paid only a portion, at yard sale value, and none of the sentimental value of furniture passed down through 4 generations, rare books gone, my home based business interrupted to the point of never recovering....

Back off the road, delightfully isolated, quiet and undisturbed, and no one saw anything. How many people does it take to pick up a Bridgeport mill and South Bend lathe, or clean out a house? How many trucks were in and out of that lonely country driveway during those two days?

No camera loaded home security systems back then. Nothing was ever recovered and 25 years down the road I have not had a single call to inform me that any of my marked and numbered milling machines, lathes or presses have ever been found.

While something like this is not the end of the world it can sure create a SHTF personal emergency that affects one's life forever.
    Ya should have moved to New York City.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Nope, I just wish I had owned a webcam security system and a smart phone back in '91.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Or a shotgun and had been sittin' on the back porch with those attack chickens.

I can advise you about the Pest Control I am State licensed and in PA, just let me know if we post here or PM.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

A police/fire scanner left on in the garage may have helped......?

Everything maybe nice and quite....all of a sudden the radio tones out a fire call or dispatch calls a squad.

I can't turn it off.... the holder for little battery that hold the programmed frequencies...rotted off....but has been left on for maybe 10 years?
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-15-2015 at 09:09 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Be honest. You just want to know how fast they are responding.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Be honest. You just want to know how fast they are responding.
    Busted.....Can't be too careful.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

So I have dealt with my rat problem. A couple days after posting this, I talked to my father and found out that he has an exterminator on call for these kinds of emergencies at renovation sites. I used him. He put down poison like there was no tomorrow. The rat and mice body count was high.

My sister found an old mixed breed barn kitty that the owner was willing to get rid of. We will move her in about a week from now now when I feel as if it is safe for the cat to live there.

I've found it best not to kill a rat. Hundreds show up for the funeral. The wake goes on for days and they party like there's no tomorrow. Dirty rats.

Even fake security cameras scare the heck out of robbers! If you can't afford the full blown video system right now, mount some fake security cameras and a sign that says video surveillance in use!

If you're going to go to the trouble to mount security cameras, you may as well at the 50 cal.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm saving my money. I gotta have me one of them rascals. I'll bet folks start cleaning up after their dog when they see that thing swing in their direction.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Another way to make your property a lesser target is to look like you have less. I drive lesser expensive cars than my neighbors. One is 12 years old and has "marks". I keep my yard and house up with decent landscaping, but it isn't as extreme as those around me. If someone scouts my neighborhood, they'll go for the neighbor with the Lexus and Mercedes in their drive and the fountain in their side yard, not me with a 12 year old Nissan and a Focus with a couple of trees and bushes around the house.

Another thing that many over look is the trash. When you cart stuff to the curb, cut and hide boxes of pricey purchases. I am always leery of the "metal collectors" on trash night that could potentially be scouting for something else.

As Crash said, lights (including motion) are a major deterrent. Lit areas aren't roughly 80% less likely to be criminally targeted and I do not consider that to be coincidental either. Another thing to consider is a dog or two. I don't have a big dog, but she is a barker and the guys on the other side of the door do not know what she is or her capabilities. Criminals want quite and no animal confrontations.
    You'd think so but the statistics stay otherwise. A well kept yard is a deterrent to criminals. These are fancy movie burglars we're talking about, common criminals. Someone who looks like they take care of their possessions from the outside will be assumed to have a more secure home. They're not looking for the richest house to rob, they're looking for the safest house to rob. Criminals also tend to stick to neighborhoods they know, thats why houses in the bad part of town get robbed far more often than houses in the nice part of town, despite those houses being richer targets.

Adventure Wolf, after you get the more important things taken care of, you may like to take a look at this book: Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables by Mike Bubel and Nancy Bubel. I have this book and highly recommend it (and apparently so do lots of other folks, according to Amazon's reviews).

Take a look (other titles too): http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ds=root+cellar
    Genius is making a way out of no way.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    Criminals also tend to stick to neighborhoods they know

Predators usually hunt within their territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    You'd think so but the statistics stay otherwise. A well kept yard is a deterrent to criminals. These are fancy movie burglars we're talking about, common criminals. Someone who looks like they take care of their possessions from the outside will be assumed to have a more secure home. They're not looking for the richest house to rob, they're looking for the safest house to rob. Criminals also tend to stick to neighborhoods they know, thats why houses in the bad part of town get robbed far more often than houses in the nice part of town, despite those houses being richer targets.
    Chris, what statistics are you referring to? I agree that a well kept yard is a deterrent. I even said my own yard is kept up and has decent landscaping, I just do go to the extremes that many in my are go to. No one said anything about movie burglars, but even common criminals will not try something unless they have a good probability of getting something worth while other wise it isn't worth the risk to them. I agree it doesn't have to be the richest house, they are looking for quick and easy but it has to have something worth their troubles. Bad parts of town have getting hit more often then rich parts of town have many factors that cause it, not a single reason. Yes, knowing the area is a part of that. Convenience and the ability to blend in also play a role in it. They usually won't drive across town wasting gas and sticking out like a sore thumb.

The principles in this post and my previous post come from the NCPA, Ohio Attorney General, Ohio Police Officers Training Commission, and Cincinnati Police STARS (Statistic and Tactical Analytic Review for Solutions).
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Criminals also tend to stick to neighborhoods they know, thats why houses in the bad part of town get robbed far more often than houses in the nice part of town, despite those houses being richer targets.
    I agree with everything you said Chris but especially this! When my family lived in Northern Brazil we and our neighbors got robbed several times, once a thief broke into our house while we were eating supper. I was shocked when I went into my parents bedroom after dinner and saw the cut screen and what he had taken. He was very quiet. We had 24-7 armed guards. BUT our hired help who lived in much poorer neighborhoods and had very few possessions were robbed far more often than us. The biological father of my adopted nephew was shot to death by a thief on his way home from work very close to his house.

Look up the FBI crime rate by neighborhood for the USA. Criminals can more easily case a house/home where they live or at least blend in. When I see a car or someone hanging out who does not look like they fit I take down the tag numbers and report them. I have had people upset at me for taking a photo of their plate numbers so am subtle about it. Be well armed and driving off fast straight to a police station is my strategy. We look out for each other in my neighborhood.

On a different note I wonder how well the night vision works on that Arlo system. One of the most important things for a game cam are the LEDs for the night vision camera, still or video. Even if the thief knocks out your regular security lights if these are hidden well enough so he does not know they are there the local police may be able to track him down based on the images. Obviously it is better to discourage thieves from targeting your home or business in the first place. Almost all the thieves who broke into homes in neighborhoods near me in recent months have been found, a lot of people have hidden cameras. Not a bad idea to have some fake cameras so they bust those and think they have them all, buy real ones cheap that don't work anymore at thrift shops etc. Hide the good ones better.

FBI crime rate by city across the USA:
    https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...4/table-4/view

Most of your individual cities have local crime reports online as well. Most real estate agents know this very well and will use it to sell property in better neighborhoods.

enter "www dot crimereports dot com" for USA, Canada and UK then your address find the best and worst crime neighborhoods near you.

http://www.crimereports.com

Edit: Just now I used this "crime reports" tool to look at recent theft, burglary and assault further from me in neighborhoods I know are lower and higher income. All I can figure out is that in lower income areas many people just don't bother to report them because the rate of solved crime is low for many reasons and there may be retaliation if they do report it. But if you talk to people from these neighborhoods there IS a lot of this type of crime there. However, Registered Sex Offenders are just about everywhere this is why I NEVER download anything even remotely offensive or even look at it! There is one man just a few houses down from me who ruined his life forever doing that! What a fool.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 09-15-2015 at 08:52 AM. Reason: links to crime rates and crimes

Thieves like easy, accessible targets. From talking to people, I always thought that theft was more of an opportunistic crime. I worked in stores growing up, and we talked about thieves a lot. The most common type of theft is the snatch and grab type. Someone sees something that can just easily grab and shove into their pocket or load into their car, and then walk or drive away.

I worked a lot of construction sites. I learned early that if you leave something on site, and it's something someone can snatch, it will be gone in the morning. It doesn't matter the value of the item.
    Last edited by Adventure Wolf; 09-15-2015 at 11:54 AM.