Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Scope??

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Bad Scope??

I met a guy at the range today. Nice enough fellow even though he was a yuppie. I know he was a yuppie due to the uniform; Kaki shorts, golf shirt, white tennis shoes with ankle socks and he was driving a Camray.

He had a nice 700 Remington in .270 with a very sensible Redfield scope in top.

I was tuning in a scope myself and we went down range to check out targets at the same time.

He was very upset because his scope was "all over the place and not repeating properly."

He was trying to do some trick he had seen in a magazine or on the computer where you fire your shot, go up 4 clicks and fire another shot, right 4 clicks then down 4 clicks and you get this nice little one inch square box on the target if your gun is "set up right".

He had tried four times, could not get his box square to save his life and had decided to send the scope back as defective!

When I asked him what the smallest group he had ever shot with the gun was he answered that it was about 1 1/2"!!!!

I asked him how he expected to get a one inch box formed using a gun that would not hold its shots inside 1 1/2", which is still quite respectable for a 270 with factory ammo.

Ever seen a yuppies eyes glaze over when confronted by common sense?
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-07-2015 at 08:56 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I guess I can say...I never heard that one before....????
    So shooting a square box for square deer?....I'm not getting any logical idea of what this is supposed to prove.

Now...If you sight your rifles in properly....It should be;

Hey, I gonna shoot a one inch square.....So...

One in the upper left.....Bang
    One on to the right... 1 inch over...Bang

Then dropping down an inch...lower right...Bang
    Ok...over one inch left.....left lower......Bang.

There ya go...1" square....Duh.

Y'all want me to do it backwards?......or lets play crisscross?

I guess I would have said...."Hey that's a messed up scope...let me give ya $20 bucks for it?"
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-07-2015 at 09:17 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I am not a Yuppie and I am not getting rid of my uniform!

NRA "T" shirt, bibs, Skoal ring in back pocket, Red Ball Flyers, beat up ball cap w/tractor logo......

Same for me except no skoal ring. I have taken to carrying AK magazines in the back pocket of the bibs so the worn spot is rectangular. You can get two mags in each back pocket!

I have developed Noassatall syndrome in my old age and there is excess room back there now.

Sorry Rick, but if you are going to wear the uniform you got to take the label that comes with it.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-07-2015 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

I have developed Noassatall syndrome in my old age and there is excess room back there now.

Bhohahaha...noassatall...belt AND suspenders....I hear ya.

See, I have developed Imallass syndrome in my old age. I guess it is because I often have little tolerance for certain behaviors.......but this isn't the political section so I'll let it go.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Wait, hold on.... my eyes are still glazed over.

Okay, so I usually put on my BDUs when I go shooting. The old woodland camo just hides oil and grease stains better. I am sure none of you guys ever get dirty when you go shooting because your guns are all supper clean.

I took my brother and kids shooting the other day. He lives in Connecticut and wanted to see what an AR15 looked like. My son managed to hit his eye with the scope of my 30-06. After I stopped laughing, I told him he probably won't do that again.

The first time I put on the scope on my 30-06, I went through a whole box of 20 with terrible results. I would get a decent group, move the reticule, but the group wouldn't be were I wanted it to, so move the reticule again... group all over the place. Somewhere around the end of the box of 20, I grabbed my scope and noticed a wabble. Eventually I learned about loctite. That single-handedly fixed my problem.

Most people don't understand tolerances... this goes for everything...not just rifles.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Wait, hold on.... my eyes are still glazed over.

Okay, so I usually put on my BDUs when I go shooting. The old woodland camo just hides oil and grease stains better. I am sure none of you guys ever get dirty when you go shooting because your guns are all supper clean.
    Been black powder shooting?....not only are your hands and clothes trashed,.... black and greasy, with some cleaning fluid mixed in...but you get to smell like burn lard and rotten eggs...LOL

I have never heard of this before. It sounds crazy. It sounds like a novice that just bought a rifle, read something on the internet, and now thinks he knows everything.
    Last edited by Adventure Wolf; 08-10-2015 at 10:24 PM.

It is one of those exercises one would only attempt if they ignored all of the variables.

To accomplish it one must first be able to place all of their shots into one hole in the first place.

It requires the perfect rifle, perfect scope, perfect ammo, a perfect shooting platform with no wind.

I am sure he saw an article about how to make sure your scope was acceptable somewhere and did not realize it was theory and the targets shown in the article had been manufactured by hand and not shot.

Kyratshooter,
    Isn't profiling against the law in Ky? You surely cannot just go callin's some poor soul a YUPPIE because of the way he dresses, speaks, the BMW he drives ,or how he cuts his hair can you?

Banned

I agree with Kyrat my theroy is that: Sometimes those magazine's are just desperate to publish something that sounds new and creative and newbies misinterpret it due to a lack of common sense.

I am guilty of wearing mismatched after season hunting cammoflauge because it is super cheap and does not show all the dirt and BBQ stains. I saw a guy at Walmart just tonight in a white T-shirt with an ugly brown stain on the front. I had just bought a bottle of LCR for a plumbing project and thought about offering to put some on his shirt. But he was probably just going to suck on it later to remind him of the great supper he had... ha ha ha.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 08-11-2015 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    Kyratshooter,
    Isn't profiling against the law in Ky? You surely cannot just go callin's some poor soul a YUPPIE because of the way he dresses, speaks, the BMW he drives ,or how he cuts his hair can you?
    Sure you can...Sheeesh.....
    I was a "Long haired, Yankee, Hippie, Freak"....for a for a long time......Bhohahahaha

Last edited by sjj; 12-15-2017 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sjj View Post
    Search, "How to shoot the square" for purpose and correct process for the test.
    Yeah thanks......
    I do suppose there are shooters that insist in doing additional work to ring out the last bit of performance out of their equipment.

Unless you are shooting long ranges consistently....I fail to see where this will help a new shooter, or casual hunter.
    It's like learning how to fly....and the first lesson is in a 747.

Start slow, keep it simple, make sure your basics are correct....scope mounts, screws tight, (and Loctite if necessary) lined up with bore, (vertically and horizontally).... lined up in the correct location for your eye, your hold, breathing, and trigger squeeze.

When all these things are correct you should shoot.....With the same ammo and bullet weight....a decent group (I like the quarter reference at 100 yds...can touch all 3 or 5 holes)....from a rest.

When this is dialed in correctly and grouping consistently....THEN....its time to play...

I hunt, am not a sniper....do not plan on messing with my sight it in, in the field by adjusting or "doping the scope"....to many variables and I don't travel with a spotter.

Shooting the Square is bad advice to any new shooter, or new scope/mount....IMHO...KISS (Keep it simple stupid)

I am going to give this guy the benefit of the doubt. He reads something on the internet or in a shooting magazine, and then decides to take his rifle out to the range and TRY IT OUT! He ends up learning a lesson....and even gets to talk to some old grumpy guy that helps him out. If that was me.... I would chock it up to a good day. I got to shoot, and I got to talk about shooting to some old guy that knows more than me and is willing to teach me something.
    I'll take the gullible yuppy trying to figure things out over the yuppy that thinks guns are scary and no one should have one.

If my rifle was consistently shooting 1.5 inches at 100 yards, I would stop trying to adjust anything. As long as I can hit a 10 inch circle at 400 yards.....perfect. I can't see anything beyond that anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by sjj View Post
    Search, "How to shoot the square" for purpose and correct process for the test.
    Here ya go
    http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...ot-the-square/

I was at the range one day, and a guy with a Mini14 was shooting at the bench next to me! He was trying to sight in his scope at 100 yards and cussing like there was no tomorrow!
    I ask him why he was so mad, and he proclaimed that his scope was junk! He would adjust it for correction and that is not where the bullet would go!
    The scope was a Nikon and that is a pretty good scope! I tried to help him adjust his scope and sure enough , the bullet was wondering off setting by 2 or 3 inches no matter what you did to the scope.
    I told him the barrel was probably worn out, and Mini 14's were not accurate to begin with and offered him $400 for the rifle and scope. He took the offer and left!
    Darn I hate those loose scope rings!!!!

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

So how do you dress out a paper target anyway? Got any good recipes?...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin