Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bear spray & grizzles

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    Cure for constipation: Create an encounter with a bear.
    Hmm man that runs - shieit's himself.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    How much time have you spent in bear country and how many close encounters have you had with them?
    I've had no encounters at all with a bear.

And I'm never going to go looking for one either while in any kind of vulnerable camping mode. It's easy to say don't panic, don't be ruled by fear, and keep your wits about you...but when close to something as big, heavy, fast, and just plain powerful as even a small bear (or even felines or canines), being able to do so might turn out to be a different ballgame (though I have been tested in this way more than once). With an animal like that, without that big bore firearm (or, well, maybe bearspray, etc) and unless you can successfully spook it/psych it out...you are really at the mercy of the bear and what it's in the mood for. If you live, it's because it didn't decide that it wanted you. If it really wants to play, you can't hardly do anything about it.

But whenever I'm out there again, I'm still gonna be ready with my special little flash bomb sticks, spears, pre-positioned impalers, footpad piercers (whatever they should be called), crazy tribal screams and wacky dancing and confident big-posture non-defensive bear-flanking stance if necessary, maybe airhorn can etc...and a firearm and my calm wits bundled together in neat organization in my mind...only using a firearm if I don't feel pretty sure that I can get by without using it.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Banned

I seriously doubt that this lady that was recently attacked in Alaska had "blood flowing from her eyes and from wherever" but she may have asked him some rude questions about his Twitter war with Rosie O'Donnell. That will cause a brown bear to attack for sure. Ha ha ha...

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    I seriously doubt that this lady that was recently attacked in Alaska had "blood flowing from her eyes and from wherever" but she may have asked him some rude questions about his Twitter war with Rosie O'Donnell. That will cause a brown bear to attack for sure. Ha ha ha...
    Hahhahhaha! Good one TX.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Some of my bear pictures just for fun.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I'm not sure I'd take it as gospel that she "tried bear spray to no avail", either. Not because pepper spray is so fantastic but because the media generally has a very superficial understanding of gun issues, hunting, wilderness, etc. The article was pretty short and very sparse on details. Perhaps the woman used the spray correctly but it didn't work. However, she may have used it incorrectly, deployed after she was already being mauled, or she may not have had any to begin with. I'm not ready to accept that very spare piece totally at face value.

All that said though I would want to have pepper spray and a gun. And no way I'm gonna be jogging or mountain biking in bear country.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    I ain't clicking on that link after that statement!

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    I've had no encounters at all with a bear.

And I'm never going to go looking for one either while in any kind of vulnerable camping mode. It's easy to say don't panic, don't be ruled by fear, and keep your wits about you...but when close to something as big, heavy, fast, and just plain powerful as even a small bear (or even felines or canines), being able to do so might turn out to be a different ballgame (though I have been tested in this way more than once). With an animal like that, without that big bore firearm (or, well, maybe bearspray, etc) and unless you can successfully spook it/psych it out...you are really at the mercy of the bear and what it's in the mood for. If you live, it's because it didn't decide that it wanted you. If it really wants to play, you can't hardly do anything about it.

But whenever I'm out there again, I'm still gonna be ready with my special little flash bomb sticks, spears, pre-positioned impalers, footpad piercers (whatever they should be called), crazy tribal screams and wacky dancing and confident big-posture non-defensive bear-flanking stance if necessary, maybe airhorn can etc...and a firearm and my calm wits bundled together in neat organization in my mind...only using a firearm if I don't feel pretty sure that I can get by without using it.
    The reason I asked was that it seemed as though you were offering advice on dealing with bears. It is probably important to preface those seemingly authoritative remarks with something like "Although I have absolutely no experience with bears....."

A lot of people come to this forum looking for advice. I would rather not see anybody get injured or worse from following advice that came from somebody that was trying to be helpful, but really didn't have any idea about what they were talking about. Good luck with your
    flash bomb sticks, spears, pre-positioned impalers, footpad piercers (whatever they should be called), crazy tribal screams and wacky dancing
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

I put more trust in the park rangers who spend a lot of time in these areas with hundreds and even thousands of brown bears. There is no mention of bleeding of any kind from a minor wound or whatever being a significant source of attacks compared to other human activities like running and having food smells near you, or an open container of food, walking up on them quietly and startling them. If you do that to a raccoon, skunk or long list of other much smaller animals it could go badly for you.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/bearsafety.htm

When possible I like to ask these park rangers about some of their encounters, they have some good stories but are reluctant to tell the general public most of the time, because people misunderstand or misinterpret it.

A few good wildlife photos from Denali N.P. Alaska:

http://www.nps.gov/media/photo/galle...9D&startrow=21

BTW some Black Bears are brown and some Grizzly Bears are black, or white. The term Brown Bear is just a generic term, so is Black Bear, if a person uses the scientific terms it causes even more confusion.

Great bear video 1stimestar! I hope you can find some time to post a public trip report with some photos and possibly videos. Which river? That profile did look like a black bear, about what was your distance? Best to keep it far with an escape route! If it was hungry could have gone for your canoe of goodies, but not extremely likely if smaller black bear. Never know when an animal is sickly or injured and desperate.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 08-11-2015 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Ursus arctos

+1 on that. On our trip to the Tetons and Yellowstone I contacted rangers in both locations and asked their advice. They were a wealth of information not just about protecting yourself but about locations most often encountered, times of day, etc.

I am glad she is going to make it.

Well I know nothing about bears, but I read once that a face full of buck shot is the best bear spray known to mankind!

Or will give you the satisfaction of knowing you tried once you are eaten by one very pizzed off bear.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If I get eaten by a bear I want it written on my tombstone!

Anyone can get sick and die, have a car wreck or heart attack.

But how many people have grandkids who can say "My grandpa was eaten by a bear!"

That is one of those legends that go down through countless generations. Leave them something to talk about around the table next Thanksgiving.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Yes the name of the type of bear actually has nothing to do with color. It has to do with the kind of bear it is. Their shape and temperament are different. Grizzlies are generally brown in color but can be blonde or cinnamon as well as darker black color. Up here, Grizzlies within 100 miles of the coast are called Brown bears because their diet consists of more protein in the form of salmon and are generally larger. Black bears are smaller in general then grizzlies. All of my bear pictures above are from Denali National Park as that is my stomping grounds.

Studies have proven that bear spray is more effective then guns when dealing with bears. If you ALREADY are familiar with guns, then by all mean, take one with with. But you don't want your general Joe Schmoe who has never been around weapons to start carrying one just because he is going out into the bush. The girl in the story didn't have time to effectively use her bear spray as they came around a corner right onto the bear, startling it.

TX, it was the Yukon River. Here are most of my photos and videos. I'm working on my trip report right now (and it will include the photos from my good camera) but it will take at least a week as I am back at work now.

Banned

Kyratshooter here is a location where you will have the greatest opportunity to leave your decedents a memorable legacy:

Yellowstone Grizzly Bear Attack Victim Identified, Bear Caught
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...caught-n407471

I feel bad for the bear especially since he was probably startled then caught and stressed out even more, and did not even eat the guy.

I just want to know if that lady in Alaska was a "Pedtextrian", one of those walked in front of my vehicle the other day but I saw her texting and anticipated the behavior and stopped in time. I waved the symbol of our nation's eagle at her to show her how patriotic I was she waved back to show that she was a true American. LOL

I think that the presidential candidates should've been the participants on ALONE. Last man standing gets to be president.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    The reason I asked was that it seemed as though you were offering advice on dealing with bears. It is probably important to preface those seemingly authoritative remarks with something like "Although I have absolutely no experience with bears....."

A lot of people come to this forum looking for advice. I would rather not see anybody get injured or worse from following advice that came from somebody that was trying to be helpful, but really didn't have any idea about what they were talking about. Good luck with your
    I absolutely agree. Completely, with no reservations. I came here to learn myself, and have learned a lot actually without hardly trying. As far as my views on bears or anything else goes, I'm really just repeating what I've been told by people who have the actual experiences and are smarter than myself, including in here, combined with my own experiences that I HAVE had, and my common sense. One thing about me is that I'm not afraid to be wrong - no embarrassment or threat to my ego at all. Never had time for such things. And I intentionally put a lot out there so that any novice including myself can see whatever needs to be corrected or amended by you folks etc. Despite my lack of exposure to bears in particular...anything that I've said that isn't right or is a little mis-directing, I expect for it to be corrected or modified publicly (so that anyone else making the same mistake that I might be making can see and learn as well).

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    If I get eaten by a bear I want it written on my tombstone!

Anyone can get sick and die, have a car wreck or heart attack.

But how many people have grandkids who can say "My grandpa was eaten by a bear!"

That is one of those legends that go down through countless generations. Leave them something to talk about around the table next Thanksgiving.
    Yes, that would be a tombstone worth having. Better than "he had cancer". (Well, until that one obnoxious guy who at the dinner table says "yea he wasn't smart enough to stay away from bears.")

Pretty pics star.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 08-11-2015 at 04:50 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    Kyratshooter here is a location where you will have the greatest opportunity to leave your decedents a memorable legacy:

I just want to know if that lady in Alaska was a "Pedtextrian", one of those walked in front of my vehicle the other day but I saw her texting and anticipated the behavior and stopped in time. I waved the symbol of our nation's eagle at her to show her how patriotic I was she waved back to show that she was a true American. LOL
    No, she was an experienced young woman. Just goes to show, it can happen to anyone. 'Sides, there's no cell service there.

I hate grizzly threads. Why can't I stopreading them.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    I hate grizzly threads. Why can't I stopreading them.
    You must be a grizzled old soul.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel