Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear spray & grizzles

I agree.....and I gonna guess that never happened.
    things don't always work out in reality as you imagine them...actually they never do.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

We took mountainbikes to ride up in Alaska. We didn't get out of the lower 48 before we woke up to find grizzly tracks the size of dinner plates in the snow circling the camper. We managed to put two and two together and those "prey" bikes rode quietly on the back of the truck for 2 months. We had a few encounters on that trip. I don't care if I never see another grizzly for the rest of my life.

Bear spray? How 'bout a 12g Street Sweeper.

Banned

I have no idea what the details of this ladies situation really was, she may have been following all the lodge or hotel/resort's recommendations and guidelines but I also suspect that something else may have happened...

Perhaps during orientation, at the hotel reception desk or when her wilderness guide gave the group instructions she was busy texting social media on her phone and sending photos of the guide telling her friends back home how good looking he was and not listening to much of the information he was trying to tell her. Like "don't act like a prey animal in a brown bear filled habitat." Some friend on Facebook linked an obvious hoax letter alleged written by a Zimbabwe villager about how they protected Elephants but wanted all lions killed, OMG Bull Elephants kill more villagers than lions what a bunch of nonsense, total hoax letter!!!

The only reason that this foolish behavior does not lead to extinction of foolish humans today is because mass media delivers more sympathy for the fool than the wild animal behaving like it has for thousands of years. Just like lions in Zimbabwe Brown Bears will be hunted down to extinction because people are afraid of them and want trophies and local officials want bribes.

"Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception."

Carl Sagan

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...IZQfla6Fyho.99
    Last edited by TXyakr; 08-07-2015 at 10:39 AM.

Buhahahaha. I want what you're drinking.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

I have stuff to say but just got back from my 5 day canoe adventure and am just waiting a few minutes for my hair to dry before hitting my sweet, sweet pillow. Basically not much sleep for the last two nights so I probably wouldn't make any sense....
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Animals behaving in a predatory manner almost always act in stealth. The videos where you see the animal and the person video taping the animal are not normally predatory. More curiosity I believe. The other common type of attack is when you surprise the animal and it reacts. You are also going to be surprised and react. Action is always faster than reaction.

A territorial display usually allows for you to get away if you react correctly. That is the time with most predators that you have time to think and react. I have only experienced this with domestic animals such as dogs and with large bull gators. We had a massive gator doing the high walk on the bank and then it hit its slide and came right at the boat with its body very high in the water. We were in a Tracker Pro 17 and I told my brother-in-law to fire it up. We were going to go find us a new spot. LOL Now, he would probably have settled down as he got closer. I know that. But, my spidey senses were tingling and so was the other two guys in the boat.

That would be a Devine Do Do, moment for me, for sure......As in, Holy Ship!

No sweat. Already on the list.

Sorry to have to disagree with you about women on their period in bear country. There are products out there called tampons you know, where the blood never leaves the body except for the time it takes one to go to the bathroom, then disposed of properly. Do you think hunters never get blood on their clothing? I don't know about some people, but back country women know how to take care of things properly, safely. If you carry any thing with a scent with you, toothpaste included, then you are at the same level of "danger" as a women using a tampon...

If the female theory was true there would not be any Indians alive ~500 hundred years ago when white man first arrived here.

Well, I don' need no links....I'm taking Stars word for it.......LOL

Walking Stick - " ... - After the initial ignition of the leaves, which will burn out fast, you now have a bundle of burning twigs at the end of a stick to last another few minutes which can surely be used in some way as well (and in such a situation, more of these prepared flash bomb sticks can be grabbed up and wielded). ..."
    Well, I'm kinda lazy and non-primitive so if a bear decides to have me for lunch, I'll just depend on my S&W .41 Magnum or Ruger N.M. Blackhawk in .45 Colt to dissuade him. Or one of my centerfire rifles.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    Walking Stick - After the initial ignition of the leaves, which will burn out fast, you now have a bundle of burning twigs at the end of a stick to last another few minutes which can surely be used in some way as well (and in such a situation, more of these prepared flash bomb sticks can be grabbed up and wielded).
    Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
    Well, I'm kinda lazy and non-primitive so if a bear decides to have me for lunch, I'll just depend on my S&W .41 Magnum or Ruger N.M. Blackhawk in .45 Colt to dissuade him. Or one of my centerfire rifles.

S.M.

Well, you don’t want to put your life in danger playing around and not knowing the reality, and a bear is a powerful animal and is something which should be taken seriously…but I wouldn’t whip out and use a firearm at every encounter. I wouldn’t want to kill a big bear or any animal if I could help it – if the risk to my own safety wasn’t a factor.

If a person let’s theirself understand a bear’s body language, instead of being ruled by fear, just to repeat what someone has already said, you can assess what the situation is and what course of action is really needed. If I’m not needing a lot of food, and a big hide, and the bear isn’t in predation mode or too curious about me or I’m not walking into a den asking for trouble…etc…I don’t think that I’d want to shoot the thing. I’ll just jump around and make funny noises, throw some fancy schmancy fire stick thingy at him, or even just be still while he sniffs my butt till he decides to go away if the encounter came about quickly and unexpectedly that way and I’m totally sure that he’s not trying to hurt or eat me (or can't get my gun while he's sniffing my butt).

But a bear who really wants to get you probably won't care about some little bunches of fire. That's when to have your gun ready.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 08-10-2015 at 04:41 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    If the female theory was true there would not be any Indians alive ~500 hundred years ago when white man first arrived here.
    By that reasoning there should be no sheep, deer or elk left either.

There had to be a few fast and agile women back in the day and they passed their leaping, running and looking over the shoulder genes for the generations. Why do you think they get so pi$$ed off when you jump out from behind the door and yell BOOOO!!! It's collective memory passed down from their grizzly bait era.

At any rate, not being either a bear or a woman I will defer to the wisdom of others, especially since I do not live in griz country where I must contend with a critter that can smell me 10 miles away and run 40mph.

Fact is that some archeologists believe that North America was not inhabited until the short faced bear went extinct for a good reason. Some suggest that single species kept humans out of the "new world" until the end of the ice age.

But like others here, if I did live in grizzly country I would increase the bore size of my carry gun in an upward direction from the present .380.

And I am truly sorry Walking Tree, but I am not going to stand there and grin while a bear sniffs my butt! I just don't swing that way.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Well, he won't be interested too long since I don't use T.P. and wash with water and soap instead.

...unless it's more than a short camping trip and I had to use a stone and water.

- William Arthur Ward

Well, he won't be interested too long since I don't use T.P. and wash with water and soap instead.

...unless it's more than a short camping trip and I had to use a stone and water.
    Let us know when you try that theory....

I don't think I would have the "where with all" to go through your whole thought process in that situation........and TP wouldn't be any help anyway.......there would be plenty of "do do" everywhere.

Cure for constipation: Create an encounter with a bear.

- William Arthur Ward

Well, you don’t want to put your life in danger playing around and not knowing the reality, and a bear is a powerful animal and is something which should be taken seriously…but I wouldn’t whip out and use a firearm at every encounter. I wouldn’t want to kill a big bear or any animal if I could help it – if the risk to my own safety wasn’t a factor.

If a person let’s theirself understand a bear’s body language, instead of being ruled by fear, just to repeat what someone has already said, you can assess what the situation is and what course of action is really needed. If I’m not needing a lot of food, and a big hide, and the bear isn’t in predation mode or too curious about me or I’m not walking into a den asking for trouble…etc…I don’t think that I’d want to shoot the thing. I’ll just jump around and make funny noises, throw some fancy schmancy fire stick thingy at him, or even just be still while he sniffs my butt till he decides to go away if the encounter came about quickly and unexpectedly that way and I’m totally sure that he’s not trying to hurt or eat me (or can't get my gun while he's sniffing my butt).

But a bear who really wants to get you probably won't care about some little bunches of fire. That's when to have your gun ready.
    How much time have you spent in bear country and how many close encounters have you had with them?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Just a few days ago. TMI but one of us was having a period and the bear did not attack us....

PS I had menopause early lol.
    https://www.facebook.com/georganne.h...5839698740697/