Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Vital Ax.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Not to hijack this thread but why carry gasoline for a chain saw? I bought an Oregon battery powered chain saw for carrying in my SUV or UTV. No fumes, no fire hazard and safer than an axe! I just had two Spruce trees taken down because Spruce Bud Worm had killed them. My buddies that were helping me clean up the downed trees initially looked with scorn at the battery powered chain saw but changed their opinions by the time we were done. It worked perfectly for limbing and cutting large branches down to a size that fit into my utility trailer. Also worked on most of the trunk above about ten feet above the ground. I have two lithium Ion batteries for the saw and that would power the saw for a days work. It is also very much quieter than a gasoline chain saw.
    Geezer Squad #2

Pssseest.
    Great minds think alike.....
    Big Red has had a Ryobi battery chain saw in the back for a couple of years....bought it for harvesting fat wood off the deer lease in Louisiana .......just never got taken out.

On board inverter for battery charger and spare battery........Has got me out of a couple of trails with dead fall on them.
    And did a lot of trimming on bushes....when I didn't want to gas up, and fill bar oil on the gas saw for a couple of cuts.
    Do also carry ax and hatchet as well.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

one might like to look at this vintage canadian film

https://www.nfb.ca/film/survival_in_the_bush

Quote Originally Posted by beachbunny View Post
    one might like to look at this vintage canadian film

https://www.nfb.ca/film/survival_in_the_bush

That's one of my favorite films/vids......some old timer mad skills....Thanks for the reminder.
    Any of y'all haven't seen it....worth the time...remember this was before Bear, Cody, Les, Mike.....and Ruth.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

right, the real deal!