Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is a Disguise in your kit?

I just gonna say.....to the OP....Your are lucky it turned out as it did....so far.

I do not include an "official disguise" in my kit, never gave it a thought, nor has this thread prompted me to even consider it.
    Change hats, maybe, disguise....No.

Mostly situation awareness and courtesy have served me well over the years.

Most of the rest of this thread....I have nothing....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Eastree View Post
    It made me wonder whether one of his previous encounters would have been able to identify him, as so many people rely on clothes and hair when recognizing people.
    This is also why we were reminded to look at people's shoes when I worked security; they'll change a jacket, shirt or hat, but rarely think to change shoes right away, and well used shoes tend to have distinctive wear patterns. Even if they do, most people don't own enough shoes that they'll never wear that pair again, so you might spot them later.

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    I agree with Rick, my first reaction I hope would be to call law enforcement and report as an assult but not commit one. Wittnesses could see you take the drunk cyclist down but not him hit your wife and you would be in jail not him.
    I have had people drive very close to me while I was crossing in a crosswalk on foot here in Texas. I bang the car metal with my hand then take out their taillight with a sock and coins or handle of my knife (over the years just expect to get hit when walking in TX, so be ready for it.). Then run and hide behind a light post because this is Texas not UK, many firearms in cars. Not much respect for pedestrians here, I noticed the laws are very different in Florida.
    Don't know about Texas law, but in many jurisdictions this would be considered a crime, possibly even a felony. The probability of a very serious altercation occurring after such an act would likely be very high.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Don't know about Texas law, but in many jurisdictions this would be considered a crime, possibly even a felony. The probability of a very serious altercation occurring after such an act would likely be very high.
    That's what I was thinking as well....

Milwaukee....they just shoot you.....

Hi Everyone.
    It is an emotive issue. I mean its natural to want to protect those that you love even if that means putting yourself in harms way to do so.
    Im the sort of guy that will help anyone I see in trouble and I will also walk well out of the way to avoid trouble if it can be avoided.
    The thing that took us by surprise I think was the "no time to think, just react!"
    We have decided to keep a low profile over the coming days hopefully to put some time between the incident.
    We are also going to add a couple of things like spare clothing in our edc bags, for our own comfort and benefit first but you never know if it could be needed again in a similar situation. (hopefully not!).
    We live in a un predictable world which is changing quickly, and not always for the better!
    My message to the USA from the UK would be "Hold onto your rights! Theyre coming for those even faster than your guns!"
    Its gone too far and is too late here! So do not bow down to em!
    Thanks for your comments and support, it means a lot.

On the up side, based on your description of the character, he might not even remember you. I'd be watchful and just a bit curious if you do see him what his reaction might be.

I do agree with you on avoidance. It is your first line of defense.

As for too late in the UK. Change begins at the ground roots level. I'm really hard pressed to understand how a people so close to being invaded in the first half of the 20th century and who endured invasion from just about all of your close and some distant neighbors would strangle the population with such restrictive and by all accounts Machiavellian weapons laws. Change starts with you.

Quote Originally Posted by NightSG View Post
    This is also why we were reminded to look at people's shoes when I worked security; they'll change a jacket, shirt or hat, but rarely think to change shoes right away, and well used shoes tend to have distinctive wear patterns. Even if they do, most people don't own enough shoes that they'll never wear that pair again, so you might spot them later.
    That's one I keep forgetting. I was actually advised of that (and tested on it repeatedly during employment orientation) at a retail job a number of years ago.

That's one I keep forgetting. I was actually advised of that (and tested on it repeatedly during employment orientation) at a retail job a number of years ago.
    When I worked security back in college, I was told the same thing.

My security sites were all industrial, but I did some of the retail training just in case; the biggest advantage there is that if you think someone's ducked into a restroom, you can see the shoes under the stall doors and not have to stand around waiting for everybody to finish to get a look at their face and clothes.

Banned

In 2010 a jogger, Lauren Huddleston, was struck by a cyclist on the Katy Trail in Dallas, Texas and killed. It was evidently mostly the jogger's fault according to witnesses (headphones, not looking), but a cyclist on a crowded city trail like this always has the responsibility to go slow and call out loudly which side they are passing on. Most do so and are very considerate but some do not. I am always very slow an cautious when I am the larger or faster vehicle and stay far to the side when I am the slower. But if assulted I will fight back and use whatever cover there is retreat to my vehicle where Texas law allows me to use deadly force from to defend my property not just my life. But always best not to provoke especially if the person is drunk. This changes everything and you no longer have the right to defend yourself if you provoked the aggressor.

Most cyclist in North Texas and most other parts of the world do NOT travel on the same paths as people walking unless they are moving very slow. That is what the roads are for and cycling clubs where large numbers of cyclists can travel more safety in groups.

In New York City's Central Park the bicycle speed limit was dropped from 25 to 20 mph in 2014 after 2 people died of bicycle colissions. I have seen New Yorkers yell at speeding cyclists in Central Park. But only the Cops and Criminals are armed in NYC, so best to improvise something. Fishing gear or walking cane or whatever. Rod holder put my pole in so sand and mud does not get in reel seems to be excessively sharp and steel not aluminum and requires vinyl tube sheath. Hope that is not too obvious.

Bicycle is a perfect get away vehicle in NYC/Manhattan.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 08-04-2015 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Bicycle deaths Dallas & NYC

In 2010 a jogger, Lauren Huddleston, was struck by a cyclist on the Katy Trail in Dallas, Texas and killed. It was evidently mostly the jogger's fault according to witnesses (headphones, not looking), but a cyclist on a crowded city trail like this always has the responsibility to go slow and call out loudly which side they are passing on.
    Unfortunately, even the ones that hear you tend to go full retard when you try that; they either move left, or stop right there before you can move over.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I observed when visiting Florida that the laws and public behavior there was different than in some parts of Texas. The only person I saw who almost ran over pedestrians in a crosswalk in Florida was a lady in a large SUV with Texas plates. In Texas it is less than 1 out of 100 that does this but best to always expect it and that they will blame you for damages to their vehicle for not jumping clear of the crosswalk in time. Then pull a firearm on you. But if you just assume this is the beginning of an assult by an armed soccer mom off her mediction you can take cover, possibly retreat to your vehicle limping or whatever and return fire from the far side. Hopefully she has not spent much time at the range recently and has a 2" barrel pink gun with terrible accuracy.

How many times have soccer moms pulled a gun on you? Lord knows I've had plenty talk me down and two or three poke me with 10 foot poles but I've never had one pull a gun. Even under Texas law if you are in a crosswalk following traffic signals YOU are in the right of way, not the driver. If someone hits you under those conditions you might just own there car before it's over with. Or house.

"A pedestrian facing a "Walk" signal may proceed across a roadway in the direction of the signal, and the operator of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to the pedestrian."

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.552.htm

I observed when visiting Florida that the laws and public behavior there was different than in some parts of Texas. The only person I saw who almost ran over pedestrians in a crosswalk in Florida was a lady in a large SUV with Texas plates. In Texas it is less than 1 out of 100 that does this but best to always expect it and that they will blame you for damages to their vehicle for not jumping clear of the crosswalk in time. Then pull a firearm on you. But if you just assume this is the beginning of an assult by an armed soccer mom off her mediction you can take cover, possibly retreat to your vehicle limping or whatever and return fire from the far side. Hopefully she has not spent much time at the range recently and has a 2" barrel pink gun with terrible accuracy.
    Sooo, what kind of disguise do you need to avoid those radical soccer Mom's that are out to "get ya".
    Bhohahaha what a sight....."Hey, hey, hey...put down that pink thing......."
    (Sorry got this image in my head......)

Hi. The idea of extra clothing ( disguise may be the wrong image) is that the incident has already happened, you have been able to disengage without further contact and you now have to get to a safe place. We, thankfully, had read many articals/forums that gave us a heads up on not leading the "enemy" to your safe place, find a place with multi exits, and a place where you could change your appearance.
    Then when returning to your safe place, using another form of transport so you don't have to walk through the danger area a second time.
    Thank you US forums on Urban Survival!!
    My edc hasn't changed a great deal, I have added "Grey man" clothing as a just in case answer to a future problem.