Thread: Gear for Hunting Dogs

Default Gear for Hunting Dogs

I have two hound dogs that I use for hunting. They are tracking dogs I run mostly against raccoons and possums. I decided that I needed to invest in some gear for them, since I wanted to keep my buddies safe in the brush.

Each of my buddies have an Avery Standard Parka, since my of my hunting areas are near lakes and rivers, an orange dog collar and a Garmin Astro GPS Collars.

Is this a good combination, or do you think I should go with another set of equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by Adventure Wolf View Post
    I have two hound dogs that I use for hunting. They are tracking dogs I run mostly against raccoons and possums. I decided that I needed to invest in some gear for them, since I wanted to keep my buddies safe in the brush.

Each of my buddies have an Avery Standard Parka, since my of my hunting areas are near lakes and rivers, an orange dog collar and a Garmin Astro GPS Collars.

Is this a good combination, or do you think I should go with another set of equipment?
    Mine isn't a hunting dog...yet. I do take him hunting a lot, though. I've found that a little "backpack" for him works pretty well. I've got an extra collar, doggy FAK, a baggie of kibble, some water, a few waste bags, a folding water bowl, and some hand sanitizer that I back in it for him. He carries all of his essentials and I carry mine! Maybe it's something to think about.

Whenever I go hunt dogs, I generally don't take much equipment. Mostly I just look up stuff in the classifieds for people selling their dogs. Not much hunting required...

Oh wait.... you were talking about..... never mind.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

As the hunting has diminished a bit lately, have backed off with worn gear.
    My hunt is mostly douck and some upland birds... dogs are close flushing hunters and retrievers.

Not much need for locating collars or trackers.

Mostly depended on orange hunting collar with my name and phone number.
    Tags for Rabies vac., notice that the dog is chipped...and that's about it.

They wear the collar and chip anyway, hunting or not....as they have been known go for an walk form time to time.

Hunting dogs of mine, do not and will not carry a pack...they hunt and retrieve... their job....... and you carry what ever you think they need.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I don't like the idea of using a backpack, because I am afraid that it will take away from my dogs abilities. When I am chasing after something, I don't want to carry something that will get in my way or slow me down. My dogs have both gotten into fights with other creatures while on the hunt, and I'm afraid that them carrying extra will put them in harms way in another one of those situations.

Actually I really don't like the idea of a collar either....

One lab, Monty, didn't come back from chasing a crippled duck......for a long time.
    Showed up like 20 minutes later....with the dead duck....no collar?

Found it the next weekend hanging on a downed barber wire fence....he had to break the collar it to get back.

Miss that boy, best duck dog I ever had or will have......most likely.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

What happened to my post on here?

Quote Originally Posted by CBVTV View Post
    What happened to my post on here?
    PM sent. I thought I had earlier - my apologies for not doing so.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Max found us in the woods of NC. He is not trained as a hunting dog. He just survived out there for who knows how long. I made a lame effort to train him but he was way too smart. Yeah buddy... right...I'm getting fed tonight. lol. It would be nice to own a hunting dog.

I use backpacks on dogs when backpacking.... I would not recommend them for a Hunting dog. In fact I have a Ruffwear that is for a 50-60 dog bearly used if anyone is interested.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907