Thread: LA-TX Jamboree ideas?

Banned

Default LA-TX Jamboree ideas?

LA-TX Jamboree First? Especially for Swamp People

Looking for ideas of location and time, nothing is ideal but whatever y'all want to suggest. Tropical Storm or Hurricane season is not great but doable, extra water allows easier river access to some areas but sitting under tarps all weekend and slugging through mud in ponchos is not much fun, also road closures. Deer rifle season I prefer to avoid for many reasons, mostly that attendance would be very low.

Best location may be someone’s private property or deer lease if large enough but here is the beginning of a public site list for both states. I know very little about LA camping, some folks use bug repellent there… fishing and other wildlife is worth it:

Louisiana Camping Sites:
    Kisatchie National Forest (RV, tent and primitive camping)

Sabine National Wildlife Refuge, aka swamp (Between Calcasieu lake and Sabine Lake, also Lagneaux’s RV park on coast just south?) Best to only camp in designated campsites during deer rifle hunting season! Hog/gator is at your own risk, not as many city slickers popping off then.
    NOT same as Sabine Wildlife Management Area by HWY 171 East of Toledo Bend.

Atchafalaya National Wildlife Refuge, GPS locations of primitive campsites from Department of Natural Resources, LA easiest access to some is by small boat:
    http://dnr.louisiana.gov/index.cfm?m...=home&pid=1105

Grand Isle State Park (10 Beach Tent sites, 49 premium RV sites)

South Toledo Bend State Park, LA (337) 286-9075

Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, WMA website has more details:
    http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/wma

Clear Creek Wildlife Management Area (campsites), DeRidder, LA 70634

Fort Polk Wildlife Management Area, (337) 537-0422, Pitkin, LA 70656
    Call in case being used for military training, i.e. not peaceful in the morning.

Many more.

Texas Camping Sites:
    Sabine National Forest (Toledo Bend Reservoir, border with Louisiana)
    Haley's Ferry Boat Ramp: (409) 625-1940
    Indian Mounds: (409) 625-1940
    Willow Oak: (409) 625-1940
    Red Hills Lake (409) 625-1940 not on Toledo Bend
    Private RV + Tents etc.: Hollyparkmarina dot com
    Other option is park at/near a boat ramp paddle into a primitive site on shore of lake bushwack and camp there. Use sailboat, Jon boat, bass boat, pontoon boat, truck tubes and boards or whatever, be sure it is public land!!!

Davy Crockett National Forest (Ratcliff Lake or Holly Bluff Campground off FM 266, Neches River near Diboll)

Sam Houston National Forest (aka Lone Star Trails & Lake Conroe, a friend of mine rents kayaks there, most people hunt or hike but kayak is also fun.)

Cross Timbers Hiking Trail, from Juniper Point to Paw Paw Creek 13 miles of trail to choose sites along (Lake Texohm) Hike, Bike, Paddle, Motorboat then swim/wade, but no motor land vehicles. (Bow but no Firearms!) (This is North TX others were South East mostly).

Annual fishing and hunting licenses are fairly cheap for residents of TX and LA, Non-resident one day for LA is $5. I believe there is a reciprocal agreement between TX, OK, LA and Kansas for senior citizens so low cost to fish. 20+ years ago my elderly Aunt from Canada caught her first fish ever in Galveston from a jetty (she lived in South Africa and Western Canada all her life, go figure), no one bothers little old ladies. So take kids and little old ladies fishing, they may enjoy it and not need an expensive license. ;-)

Recreational trapping license is $19 in Texas, and $25 in LA. Always open season on Nutria and fairly wide on Beaver, must know the specific regulations, trapping is very non-discriminatory and can injure pets and people so not for amateurs IMO.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-30-2015 at 02:11 PM. Reason: typos, corrrections

Blog Entries

Snaring hogs and yotes is legal in La during season. Sidebysides are out except on private land and all wheelers have to be 50 inches wide or less to go on forest service lands.

We trap and I have some dog proof traps for coons and opossum if you want to run them.

If we can get it going and setup some gear challenges not for completion but just testing how well it works or doesn't.
    Its the bits between birth and death that define a life well lived.

Banned

What national forests, and wildlife refuge and management areas in LA do you know the most about or recommend?
    Generally if a lot of people and their dogs show up I would not want to set out any traps. Some people take offense to it and if a person and dog went for a hike remotely possible an untrained dog could get bit or something. But I would like some practice helping you trap and process sometime.

About 6-7 hours drive for me to Atchafalaya and other parks near that area SW of N.O. and Baton Rouge. Tourist area of Grand Isle much further it is not as interesting to me. I like to car pool so hope to find someone from DFW area. Save $ and stay awake driving so safer.

Testing out gear and just asking people about their gear, what they like and don't like about it at group camp outs has been very helpful to me over the years. I also like pot luck dinners and getting ideas for new things to cook and new methods to cook them. All hands on or at least demos.

Definitely need a fire starting competition.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-30-2015 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Drive time

We usually schedule our Louisiana trip around Christmas and New Years.....for a few weeks....
    Just south Shreveport.......I see Caddo Lake, TX is near I-49.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

I have a 2 acre pond with a camp house and host campers and teach classes there if yall want to come to West Monroe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Plenty of woods and we have electricity at the camp house and a primitive toilet (read chair and bucket) anything west is good for me. Sheverport is 1hr 45 from me. Alexandria 2 hrs.

Blog Entries

Also bow season starts Oct 1st in LA and soon in south La I think.

Blog Entries

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Here is the blade I want to do some work with. Ground it out today from a plate of CPM M4. I have been working on a personal blade for some bigger work, shelters, batoning timber, buchering, traps and some basic work. I think this one is close to what I am looking for.

Blog Entries

I think the hammock forum has a hang around the first of Oct in Alexandria

Hunted for white tail a few times in Tensas National Wildness Area....Private land.
    Nice area.
    Cool little saloon on the way in..... Bayou Macon....lots of oil/gas field guys.

Blog Entries

I have a camp in Tensas but I don't think it would be that good of a place since the wardens are constantly in your business.

Blog Entries

So Txyaker, where are we with this? I finally sold all my Hennessey hammocks and picked up a warbonnet xlc and super fly that will need some breaking in. Looking to buy a canoe in the near future as well if I can find what I am looking for so a water trip could be do as well.

Banned

Sorry I was not watching this thread carefully. Your place near West Monroe would be good. But I really like river trips could possibly bring a 14'-15' canoe. Not sure if we still have a 17-18' canoe can check. My weekends are very busy until Oct unfortunately. Big outfitters trip to San Marcos which pays well last week in Sept so I can't miss it.
    BTW I also have Warbonnet XLC with Super fly that is a luxurious combo. Compared to the poorboy stuff I had as a kid it is sleeping in a dream cloud. When we go to San Marcos other kayak instructors will be in crowded cabin or rent house I will be on porch or under some trees watching wildlife down by the river.

Banned

Most importantly what is the furthest east river toward West Monroe that you have experience or knowledge. I have driven past some interesting ones along I-20 on way to W-M, then up to Crossett, AR to visit relatives there but never had time to paddle any. So my experience is limited to TX side, Sabine and Big Cypress Bayou. They are OK but I like to explore new waters.

On group campouts: I don't care much for State Parks its about like camping in my back yard, but it is worth it for the fun of meeting new people and the pot luck dinners etc. I went to one Texas Butt Bake which was OK but not again this summer. Mike Mullen's Campout/Hangout at Fairfield Lake State Park will officially start Nov 13 this year. I hope to be able to go to that again. It is a LONG drive for you but perhaps you can car pool with some people. I need to check into the Louisiana hangout. There should be great food at that pot-luck, that is all I need to make the drive worth while... but finding a local person to carpool with would help.

I have sold both my pickup truck and SUV and am down to just small cars to save as much as possible on expenses. Will have 2 daughters going to university soon and could be spending almost $100K per year on that out of my pocket. One daughter wants to go to UT in Austin or NYU, I'm like what the heck SMU could be cheaper and U of AR will give you in State tuition and a Scholarship!!! Even OU will give kids in my area with good grades in State Tuition! UT is freaking expensive... so I drive a tiny car with tiny roof rack... what we do for our kids...

BUT depending on weekend I might be able to borrow an pickup truck or SUV and trailer and haul one or two canoes for whatever and whenever we do something. Had one 15' Old Town Guide canoe that is fairly good, and a super wide one which I don't like, also a white water one but not great on flat water, does not track... about 40-60 kayaks to choose from in warehouse. We are constantly buying and selling on Craigslist and from individuals who have stuff they need to get rid of and end of year make some new discount purchases from Johnson Outdoors. Blah Blah Blah. I really like the Discovery 16'9" canoes they are a heavy beast but great if you paddle water with lots of timber and rocks, and rapids up to low class III with skills to match. I have some photos of Old Town Discovery 11'9" on one winter trip I took it solo, was fine except I dislike the cheap slippery plastic seats it came with years ago, best to swap that out or put rock climbers tape on seat. Blah blah blah.

Most places you cannot legally shoot water foul from a boat but it allows you to get up some small creeks and bayous for that and fishing as well when crappy spawn etc. Use rubber boots or whatever to get out and hunt/fish.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 08-27-2015 at 02:03 PM. Reason: typos

Blog Entries

Still looking on a canoe but there are several backwater sloughs to paddle and camp as well as the States new river trails. They are marked well and are quiet good I have heard.

Banned

Louisiana paddle trails looks good. Texas has been working on that for many years, I have helped a little. Seen some signs under water, that is funny, but much better than above dry land.

http://www.louisianatravel.com/paddl...smans-paradise
    I will try to learn more about those near Monroe and Ruston areas.

Some of those backwater bayous can really get your turned around if your GPS fails or just doesn't work right it can really get difficult after the sun goes down. There are some very well marked paddle trails near BackWater Jacks in TX on the Big Cypress Bayou, a canoe club I have paddled with for years has a campout there weekend before Halloween every year.

http://backwaterjacksrv.com

My daughter will be performing on Friday nights High School Football games the first 3 weeks of October but I don't absolutely need to go. The other Dads will just know that I am a slacker if I don't show up to cook for the tailgate fundraisers... Most people don't want beard hairs on their hamburgers... actually I clean up.

Next spring is also a possibility and if there is a canoe rental place that we can get a deal with there might be others that are interested. When many water birds are migrating back up north it could be great wildlife watching from canoes and kayaks. Many newbies to paddle sports that I have helped will only do it when it is very hot, I think they fear falling into cold water. But if there is someone good at assisted rescue and they are wearing proper clothing it does not need to be a major concern. I.e. avoid cotton, use quick dry! and DO wear layers. If you need to break the ice on the water to get to some clear water in the middle of the river where it is flowing, no problem it is still a go!

Banned

This Bayou Macon looks like it might be a good place for a day paddle, has a takeout place for anyone who just wants a shorter trip.

http://www.louisianatravel.com/paddl...paddling-trail

A few friends that I occasionally paddle with are hunters and have no problem waking up very early. When I do a trip with them we typically place one vehicle at the takeout very early or the night before and then get started paddling "paddles wet" on the water by 6 am. See some water birds but rarely beaver, deer, turkeys or hogs etc. Obviously no hunting at bayou macon but it is fun to at least see a wide variety of wildlife and few humans, also not have a lot of sun beating down on you. Most other groups I paddle with don't get started paddling until 10 am or later, at San Marcos they get suck in a mile or more of bumper to bumper tubers many ice chests full of liquid fun so not that terrible I guess but the smoke smells funny...

I like to learn as much as I can online before I go to these places. Don't need a boat ramp for small boats but do need a legal place to park at both ends. I have been to some places that were fine one year then shut down the next. Best to ask local parks people and Sheriff if possible. I have pulled boats though barbed wire thrown in a pickup truck and taken off but that was not my plan!

Banned

This might be a little slow and get hung up in the Giant Salvinia but if you have a Minn Kota it could help... Solves the problem of private land and lack to campsites along the way...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Add a tarp you have a floating shelter, put a camp stove on a 2X4" next to you, catch some fish then cook, good to go on your way to the gulf of Mexico. Portage around weirs and impoundments not super easy... Hang dry bags from uprights. Many submerged trees and rocks to tie up to or small islands.

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    This Bayou Macon looks like it might be a good place for a day paddle, has a takeout place for anyone who just wants a shorter trip.

http://www.louisianatravel.com/paddl...paddling-trail

A few friends that I occasionally paddle with are hunters and have no problem waking up very early. When I do a trip with them we typically place one vehicle at the takeout very early or the night before and then get started paddling "paddles wet" on the water by 6 am. See some water birds but rarely beaver, deer, turkeys or hogs etc. Obviously no hunting at bayou macon but it is fun to at least see a wide variety of wildlife and few humans, also not have a lot of sun beating down on you. Most other groups I paddle with don't get started paddling until 10 am or later, at San Marcos they get suck in a mile or more of bumper to bumper tubers many ice chests full of liquid fun so not that terrible I guess but the smoke smells funny...

I like to learn as much as I can online before I go to these places. Don't need a boat ramp for small boats but do need a legal place to park at both ends. I have been to some places that were fine one year then shut down the next. Best to ask local parks people and Sheriff if possible. I have pulled boats though barbed wire thrown in a pickup truck and taken off but that was not my plan!
    I just looked up Bayou Macon....as the little saloon we go to is on it, but down on the way into the Tensas area....
    I guess I didn't realize how far that ran.....
    Good site for trails.