Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ShackaShop

I used 2x6 for the walls so I could have R19 insulation. 2x6 walls are not all that common in Alabama for construction. It adds a little cost but I would just rather have a lot of insulation. Typical OSB sheets and house wrap. 9'-0 ceiling height. I will say a 24' long wall with OSB on it is heavy - I had some help standing those up.

http://s173.photobucket.com/user/Ste.../library/Walls

I used trusses on a 6/12 pitch. I am at the stage of life that I don't want to walk on anything steeper. I used 1/2" OSB and 15lb felt and finished the deck out with 26 gage high rib galvalume. I left about 4" down the center of the roof only to be covered by the metal and the peak flash. With the high rib metal it makes a perfect vent full length right where it needs to be. It works very well. I used a cantilever truss over a wall because I wanted an additional shear wall. The truss bracing works back down to the top of the wall so wind loads have a structural path to ground. This also let me get a roof up quicker, and come back and frame under the cantilever later. Probably took more time to do it this way, I don't have cable/satellite TV or internet, or a recliner though. I really would like to have that before college football starts . . . well.

http://s173.photobucket.com/user/Ste...ary/Walls/Roof

I set doors and windows, wrapped the OSB and framed out under the cantilever. I used metal doors and hope I can paint them to look a little older. The windows are vinyl clad, insulated but not double hung. The area under the cantilever will be where I come into the shack from the shop or just where I enter in general after parking.

I used a 24" overhang on the shack sides to help keep the water off the walls, but I have gutters so it is not a requirement. Added shade though in the summer and the extension does help protect the siding.

http://s173.photobucket.com/user/Ste...%20the%20shack

The metal building ties direct to one end of the shack. A screen room was framed between the two. The screen room decking is treated plywood with two coats of porch enamel. It will get a little water on it but it should not hurt it. It snowed fairly heavy for Alabama while the shop was going in. The shop is on a 6" thick slab with thickened edges all four sides. The perimeter has two #4 rebars all the way around and the concrete was 3000 PSI with fiberglass - no fly ash in the concrete, it was all cement mix.

I have a covered front porch with a section not covered so I can use a grill in the open eventually. I spend a good bit of time in the screen room. It has been hot this summer and I am happy to have the space out of the heat and bugs. I take breaks there, eat lunch, read at night etc. I am glad I spent the time to get that part finished as it is nice to have. I wired a couple of plugs so I could have a fan and radio out there.

The whole thing is kind of unconventional - but it works for me. I still have a lot of work to do. The outside is almost completely finished - I will take some more pictures this weekend.

http://s173.photobucket.com/user/Ste...g%20and%20shop

Looks like you are getting there....nice job......haven't put up a big shop yet.....just a tractor and boat barn...and of course, yje shed with lean to's.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I am getting there but it is painfully slow.

Adding pictures of the back stoop - I access the screen room, shack and shop here. I built a bench out of the rough pine I used for siding.
    Also added a picture of the manual 200 amp switch. Heavy but works good and I won't ever have to worry about back feeding power from a generator

http://s173.photobucket.com/user/Ste...Random%20stuff

I used 2X6 interior wall in my log cabin...more room for services...and the outer walls are solid logs.

A contractor friend clued me in on that....and was a great idea.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27