Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't stand Good Enough

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Can't stand Good Enough

Are there some guns you just can't stand to leave alone?

I have noticed that even folks who can not strip an AR to the frame still want to tack goodies to the outside. There is even a class now referred to as a "basic, starter AR", indicating that there is more to come.

1911 Colts and clones are also subject to additions, improvements and abuses.

Other guns just silently shout "don't even think about it!", either because they are already perfect or there is no hope for improving them.

Yes, if you can't stand the grips that counts too.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I don't mess with mine much......too much of a sprong factor,..... unless there isn't anything I can do hurt it any more.
    Or build it for scratch/kit......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

my Remington 870 defense.

21" smooth barrel w/rifle sights, 3 round mag tube extension, 6 round shell saddle, 2 point sling.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I like to tinker with things

There is always one more thing that will make it better. Always. And it's never free.

You know timing is everything. I bought a Glock 34. I didn't need a Glock 34, I just wanted one and bought it on a whim.

I was looking at Lone Wolf's site today and was looking at modified slides and threaded barrels and all what not.

I was like that looks cool and I could justify that. Then after about a half hour. I was like, what the hell is wrong with you! You don't even need the Glock 34! LOL

I believe I have eliminated the need for a wife, mom, mother-in-law, or daughter. I just give myself crap!

I also know I wasn't the only one that went looking at Aimpoints and EOtechs and maybe even some Trijicon ACOGs recently. My range is 110 yards. My AR shoots 1/2 MOA and I don't! LOL

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I blame my grand father for my compulsions.

Not only did he have a fully outfitted workshop which he let me use, he also owned a pre-WW2 S&W 38/44 outdoorsman.

That was a 38spl on the .44 N frame and it had a trigger pull like swiping a biscuit through honey on your breakfast plate.

I asked him why other guns did not feel that good and he told me it was because they polished everything by hand in the S&W factory back then and they had stopped doing that in modern times.

A few years latter I bought my first S&W and following the instructions in an article by a guy named Skeeter Skelton, in a Shooting times magazine, I took my pistol apart and polished everything that would come out of it, and then polished the inside of the frame. (I still miss old Skeeter!)

When I put it back together it still worked and had a better trigger pull than Granddad's gun.

My Mom used to tell me that "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" and I had set myself a direct course.

The result is that I do not own a single firearm that I have not modified in some way.

I even did a trigger job on my Rossi single shot!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I even did a trigger job on my Rossi single shot!
    Oh please, do share!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

One of my Ruger 10/22s. It sounds dumb to some to modify a small rifle I use for squirrels, but when it comes to these low cost, low caliber rifles I can't help myself.

The great think about the Ruger 10/22 is the variety of aftermarket parts you can find for them. There's no shortage of good, cheap modifications for the 10/22, which makes it a great rifle to play around with and learn the basics of modifying a firearm.

Did the standard upgrades of adding a 3-9 Variable scope, sling, extended magazine.

Changed out the hammer, spring and extractor, which in my opinion made the rifle operate much more to my liking.

"(I still miss old Skeeter!)"
    I know. In my opinion he was one of the best "gun" writers out there! I grew up reading old American Rifleman articles that Elmer Keith wrote or commented on and then found Skeeter and Mr. Cooper in my early teens. I actually got to meet and shake hands with Mr. Jordan at a BSA conference in Dallas TX in 1972 I think. My father had an old S&W Mod.1917 that he let me "learn" on as far as tuning a Smith revolver went, since at the time you could easily buy all the parts to fix whatever I screwed up for about $15.00 or just find another 1917 for $45 or $50. He had an Outdoorsman also. It had a 51/2 barrel on it and was such a sweet shooter!

Blog Entries

Who doesn't like to tweak their gear? I would tweak it all if I had the means too. Sometimes its a new sheath, holster, scope etc and other times its like adventure wolf said, I too love tweaking my 10/22. its finally perfect to me now....... oh wait it still needs a silencer and then it will be perfect ..........
    Its the bits between birth and death that define a life well lived.

I guess I like to tweak guns to a degree. If I plan to use a sidearm for CCW I will have night sights installed. For non-hunting long guns I like to have a light. Trigger work is sometimes nice. But three of the guns I CCW the most (my HK VP9, HK P2000 and Beretta Nano) are bone-stock with the exception of night sights. And actually, both the HKs came with Meprolight sights so I guess they're completely stock.

My AR on the other hand...that one has some crap tacked onto it!

"If I plan to use a sidearm for CCW I will have night sights installed."
    Phaedrus, what kind/brand of night sights do you typically use?

Trijicon night sights are good. Mepro is another good option.

Bob

The problem with my AR is that it goes beyond just the rifle. I also need multiple magazines....not 1, or 2, or 6....but much more. I also need accoutrements, a sling, a chest rig...basically a full TA-50. Then I need a side arm, back up gun with more magazines.... and then I need multiple ARs that are more specialized with more TA-50. My wife asks "how many ARs do you NEED?" Well, I have 6 kids and a wife...so that makes 8. Then 8 more for all their spouses. Of course, 1 or 2 of those can be substituted with a SAW of some sort.

I am sure the blackpowder guys don't do this.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

And that's a problem because????
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I think that's a check list. Not a problem outline.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    And that's a problem because????
    Just depends on who you are asking. Still cheaper than my wife's photography stuff.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Just depends on who you are asking. Still cheaper than my wife's photography stuff.
    Gotta have security for all that photography stuff.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    "If I plan to use a sidearm for CCW I will have night sights installed."
    Phaedrus, what kind/brand of night sights do you typically use?

Almost always Meprolight. I have Trijicon HDs on my P30s but if I had it to do over again I'd get the Meps instead. I favor the ones with yellow/green or orange/green instead of one color when I can get them that way. Sadly not an option on all my HKs.