Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About "First Spear" packs

Default About "First Spear" packs

I've done a search on these forums for "First Spear" and haven't found anything, so I hope I'm not doubling up on this question by mistake.

What do you think of the quality of the "First Spear" Multi-Purpose pack? I got someone describing it like this:

"Flimsy build. Lost its shape and became sloppy after 3-4 uses. Need to keep it full to be comfortable on back. More like a bag than a pack. Not worth $100 let alone the going price of $250. First Spear should be embarrassed and ashamed, I know I am for basing a purchase on some pics."

Anyone think the same, or have a better opinion of them?

Here is the link to the bag in question. http://www.first-spear.com/product.p...cat=300&page=3

My impression is that there gear is overpriced. I am not saying it is poor quality, I have never used any of there stuff. But I have bags and packs that I have paid waaaaaay less for and have been bigger with more features and have stood the test of time. JMHO.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

My only experience with First Spear is through Hill People Gear. HPG's Kit Bags are all manufactured by First Spear. I don't know about their other stuff but the packs they build for HPG are excellent, first rate in every way (I have two of them).

I'll echo Natertot's response.

Not familiar with this product, and don't need another pack.....but if I spend $250 buck for one, it better be one owned by Ruth......or carry's it self.

Just became aware or this pack..and not needing one....but like the looks of this.

http://3vgear.com/index.php/packs-an...kId=1335878549
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Just a heads up, I was looking at Sportsmans Guide and they have almost an endless supply of packs for under $75. Many are similar in size and would suit your function in the $20's and $30's. Many times they have free shipping as well.

Hunter, SG has one almost exactly like that for $45, FYI. Many colors available. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...sack?a=1855792
    Last edited by natertot; 07-28-2015 at 12:17 PM.

Yeah, but I'm kind of liking this from the 3vgear website.

PC Version

We are a small company growing rapidly. We specialize in outdoor items that are intended for shooting sports, hunting, hiking, camping, adventures, military, police, security, survival and tactical uses. We work hard to get the lowest prices possible but continue to offer exceptional quality products. We achieve this by finding our own factories for the procurement of our products which allows us to avoid many of the middle men that is often times associated with obtaining inventory of items.

We take great pride in the products we design and manufacture and we would not be caught selling anything we would not use ourselves. 3V Gear products are designed to blend functionality and comfort with rugged good looks at an affordable price. 3V Gear stands behind every product with a limited lifetime warranty, bringing you an industry standard for quality, value and customer service.

Not PC Version

We have the best products, pure and simple. And we care about the organic soy lattes, baby penguins, and skim milk...not. Look, this is how the magic happens at 3V Gear:

1) We find a cool product we like and use

2) We make it better...'Merica

3) We comb our mustaches

4) We yell expletives and wave our middle finger to third parties who add no value to the supply chain but increase the cost to the consumer (you)

5) We sell our better product to you for cheap.

6) We go to sleep on a hand-made mahogany bed with cedar inlays that is draped with an American Flag blanket which Nanna made for a college graduation present.

7) We sleep good at night knowing we provided a superior product at superior prices to help people achieve their dreams.

8) 'Merica!

CONTACT US AT:
    3V Gear

8427 South Old Bingham Hwy. Ste A

West Jordan, UT 84088

Toll Free 1-844-234-7789

support@3vgear.com
    http://3vgear.com/index.php/about-3vgear/
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I can't argue with that crash! I looked at a lot of their site, but missed that. Their pouches look like a good value too.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Stay away from Sportsman's Guide if it is at all possible.

First it's a pack, then a tent, then a case of ammo and the next thing you know you are budgeting part of you paycheck and holding your shopping cart until you get a free shipping offer every week!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Stay away from Sportsman's Guide if it is at all possible.

First it's a pack, then a tent, then a case of ammo and the next thing you know you are budgeting part of you paycheck and holding your shopping cart until you get a free shipping offer every week!
    ....and the UPS guy says....Your ammo is here....again.

BTW that statement impressed me as well......but I am not really in the market.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Glad I am not the only one with that issue, Kyrat.

Ups now shows up with two guys because of weight and amounts!

Sheesh you guys.

Personally.......I have overcome the impulse buying.

Well.......I can quit any time I want.

I swear.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

yeah, right, un-huh. Of course you can.

Yeah. I was just wondering cos I've got the pack on my Pinterest page but I want to get rid of references to products that are rubbish. Sounds like 3V Gear is okay. And the stuff on Sportsman's Guide too. What brands are your favorite packs? Which ones should I stay away from?

Quote Originally Posted by Dynanim View Post
    Yeah. I was just wondering cos I've got the pack on my Pinterest page but I want to get rid of references to products that are rubbish. Sounds like 3V Gear is okay. And the stuff on Sportsman's Guide too. What brands are your favorite packs? Which ones should I stay away from?
    Rothco is hit and miss so I refuse to buy their stuff unless it is in person where I can inspect it. Cactus Jack and Fox Tactical has been pretty good. Sportsman's Guide has their house brand called HQ which I have had no issues with. Then there is genuine milsurp and I have always been a fan of that stuff. I like using regular backpacks in urban environments so as not to stand out. I like Jansport and with back to school sales, their most basic one start for under $10. Targus is another that is a little more expensive, but they tend to be even more rugged and come with lots of options. I am still using one on a daily basis that I bought 12 years ago for $70.

Jansport, Kelty and I like the R.E.I. house brand rucks a lot as well. Like Natertot I also like genuine milsurp and have had good service out of the LC-1 Medium and large pack systems (Alice gear as it is called) With packs both frame packs and rucks you get what you pay for. For day hikes or carrying gear in your vehicle almost any bag will work. If you plan on living out of a bag for 5 to 10 days then you really change the whole dynamic of what you need.

Lots of brands to consider. I'd like to cover brands from outside the USA too. I've looked at the very useful post that Ken put up (Before you ask about a new pack...), so I understand that everyone will have different needs. The type of pack, or its intended use aren't issues I'm considering. It's the quality of each manufacturer packs I'm curious about.

I'm thinking of putting together a list on my website where people will be able to add a manufacturer's brand and vote other brands up/down. Would that be a useful resource?

Lists are a good starting point when looking for a new item (pack in this discussion).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

Obvious but you live near a large city so best to go to a store that has some that you are considering try them out even take some empty canteen bags fill them up with water try pack loaded heavy. Good if store or online has generous return policy. A rucksack/backpack is very personal especially if you are older. Younger folks can carry 80 pound 1000 denier rucksack or buy super cheap from China (eBay) and not complain much.

I use water bottles, jugs and bags and misc gear to hike local jogging trails in the morning to train. Best to do this as often as possible to see if pack is a good fit for you.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-31-2015 at 04:52 PM.

Guess I'm gonna put a list together then.