Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gifting a pocket knife

So then BSA came up with the design, and the military copied.
    Mostly what I look for in this style is good back springs, a sturdy construction, blades line up without having to "help" them fall in the right slot, and a decent blade steel. Sure, I would love a 1095 blade, but Victorinox has been really good. You guys probably aren't surprised, but there are a LOT of "SAK" type knives on the market that either get some or all of these wrong. Either the blades are loose, or they don't shut right in their slots, or the springs are about useless, to say nothing of the steel. You can find them all day long for under $5. Reminds me of the ol' hollow handle survival knife! What is even funnier is when they put a can opener on it, but put it in the wrong spot, and it can't line up with the edge of a can to do anything. I guess that is another thing I look for, a can opener that works.
    If you have a Marbles, and you say it is good, then I believe you. I found them on Amazon for a little more, but I can buy just one with free shipping. Right now I have a Victorinox Fieldmaster in my wish list in the hopes that the misses will get the hint. She isn't getting the hint, so I will have to get it myself. Might as well throw the Marbles in the cart as well. When I decide to buy a bunch, it might be cheaper to buy from Smokey Mountain. At any rate, I think I found what I am looking for.
    Last edited by finallyME; 04-03-2017 at 11:44 PM.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I bought the Marbles. Got it yesterday from Amazon. I like that it came in a box. Although that doesn't matter at all with the function, it does help when I buy it for gifting to someone else. The back springs seem very well made. They are stiff, but not too much. The blade came surprisingly sharp. It isn't razor sharp, but definitely better than most I have seen. I also like the blade shape and size more than I do the Victorinox. The fit and finish also seem high quality. The blade and other tools snap back into the proper place. The awl also came surprisingly sharp. The can opener does concern me. I haven't tried it out yet, but it isn't sharp at all. It is very stout and located at the right place. If it doesn't work well the way it came, I will try and sharpen it a little to see if that improves it. I am just used to Victorinox can openers, which I think are the best on the market. So, other than my concerns with the can opener, everything else is perfect for giving this as a starter knife for a young person.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Just hit the point of the can opener with a file and it will work fine, they do not have to be sharp all the way down, it is not how they are designed. They do not cut the can, they simply fold the metal out of the way. None of my 4 blade utility type knives has a can opener I would consider sharp, not even the Imperial or Camulius.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I've never had a sharp can opener either. Even the military version are not sharp. They are pointy but not sharp.

Just reminds me that for years I watched my G-mother struggle with a can opener that resembled some sort of medieval torture device and she often cut herself while trying to pry open cans.

This went on until I was a teen and one Christmas I bought her a simple electric can opener for the counter top. She was amazed at the simplicity of the device and that the little motor did all the work. I realized that she had never seen my Mom or Aunt use their can openers and did not realize there was a better device than the stone age spear she had been using.

Anyway, if the tots are going to be opening many cans you might include a P38 as a side gift. I always liked them better then the opener on the GI knife. Put a lanyard in there for the knife, the P38 and a ferro rod.

My problem is that Victorinox has spoiled me. It is a little sharp, not super sharp, but just enough. The P38 is the only one that can beat it, when it comes to small hand openers. Gerber and Leatherman both have working can openers... but they aren't as fast and smooth as Victorinox. Anyways, can openers aren't suppose to cut, they just shear. However, most of the ones I have seen have at least a slight bevel on them. Of course, I haven't even tried this one out. When I do, I will tell you how it went.

I did perform a kid test yesterday. I had my 7 and 10 year old sons and 11 year old daughter try and open all the tools on the knife. The older two had no problems at all. The 7 year old had a little difficulty. The springs are stiff, which is good, but not too stiff. So far so good.

Just remember that the BSA can opener is pulled against the can while the SAK opener is pushed forward.

Can opener works perfectly. No modifications. Not as fast as my Victorinox, but still very easy and fast.

I have gifted a lot of knives. I always requested a penny in return. I have been given some knives. I have always given a penny in return. When I find a knife that I like, I buy 9 more. That takes care of sons and nephews. Some of the easiest Christmas shopping I do. My original Leatherman takes the place and functions of a multi blade camp knife. I prefer fixed blade or folding knives for a belt knife and a single blade or trapper model for a pocket knife. Although I have a good many "quality knives" the ones I continuously turn to for solid work are the Old Timer and Uncle Henry. Schrade knives just seem to fit my hand.

Alan

Rough Rider makes a good one for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    I bought a couple of Rough Riders a while back.

The steel in those things is made from old coat hangers!

They may take a razor edge but after you cut a piece of string the edge folds over like a Chinese acrobat.

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    So, I have two nephews that I have decided to get a pocket knife for their birthdays. One is 12 and the other 8. Here is a link to the pocket knife I bought.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

You might say... but it isn't a Victorinox, or a Case... However, I have actually bought 3 of these for my kids. I have been impressed with them. No, they aren't Victorinox...and the quality isn't the same. But, they are still pretty good. They are definitely not cheap pieces of junk. I call them learner knives. The idea is that they use and abuse them... and learn how to use and care for a knife. And then they save up their own money and buy a Victorinox. When you have to buy the knife yourself, you appreciate it more. Anyways, I will also put a 3 ft lanyard on it, and a carabiner. That way they can attach it to their belt or pants or pack and not lose it. I have done this with all my kids pocket knives. I also want to put a note in with it that talks about knife safety and such. I would like some feedback as to what I might want to add to the note. I don't want it to be too long. Here is where I am at so far:
    Very very good IDea, and I totally agree with you, one of the 1st gifts (when you become of age is a Knife)
    I got a very similar knife as you are showing when I was around 7 or 8?
    Its an awesome gift, make sure you keep traditions, and add a "silver" coin with it, so that they can return the coin to you apon the receiving of it...
    I am sure these knives will enjoy a lot of use
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Quote Originally Posted by kyrat
    the edge folds over like a Chinese acrobat.

Thank you for my morning chuckle. I'm just glad I wasn't taking a drink of coffee when I read that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Thank you for my morning chuckle. I'm just glad I wasn't taking a drink of coffee when I read that. [/COLOR]
    Ditto........LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

So, I have been carrying the Marbles around in my pocket every day since I bought it in April. It sharpens up very easily on a simple pull through v shaped sharpener. This is the one I have. I have even given this sharpener as a gift along with the knife a few times. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EYY9K4...499701938&sr=1

The edge lasts decently enough. I also found that the awl, or whatever it is, is very capable of tightening screw on my glasses. The can opener works flawlessly every time. I have used it several times with no problem, even with a soda can and soft aluminum (which is also more difficult to cut open cleanly because of it's softness). The bottle opener works, but that is hard to mess up. This knife is built like a tank. The other day I was at my nephews house who I gave the Victorinox Recruit to. He has taken really good care of it, and apparently used the heck out of it. I compared the two....and well, I think the Marbles might even be better than the Victorinox. I like the Marbles blade shape and size better. The springs are more robust as well, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    I have no experience with the brand. I went looking though.

https://www.smkw.com/rough-rider-4-b...ed-bone-handle
    This one is pretty close to what I am looking for. It has the loop for a lanyard. It has a can opener, but a very strange one. I would have to test it out to see how viable it is. Everything else looks okay.

If it was cheaper than the Marbles, I would probably buy one and test it out. But so far, the Marbles one is testing amazingly. I do appreciate the suggestion though.

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    So, I have been carrying the Marbles around in my pocket every day since I bought it in April. It sharpens up very easily on a simple pull through v shaped sharpener. This is the one I have. I have even given this sharpener as a gift along with the knife a few times. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EYY9K4...499701938&sr=1

You can get those sharpeners at Walmart for $1.98.

They make two kinds, one with carbide inserts and one with ceramic inserts. For repairing an edge in the field the carbide type is great.

I even try to grind my hatchets and machetes to an angle that will allow those sharpeners to work.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    You can get those sharpeners at Walmart for $1.98.

They make two kinds, one with carbide inserts and one with ceramic inserts. For repairing an edge in the field the carbide type is great.

I even try to grind my hatchets and machetes to an angle that will allow those sharpeners to work.
    I carry the carbide version in each hunting coat pocket ...don't what brand(s)...for field dressing knife touch up .
    Like them alot.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Finallyme i think that was the perfect gift to get them. You don't want to give really great name brand knife like Victorinox to a child that is likely to lose it, it only will ad to their list of regrets in life. But when they have proven that they A) wont lose the knife, B) respect the knife C) maintain the knife, then & only then getting something like a Victorinox for them to cherish for the rest of their life is warranted ( though they will cherish it more because it was you that gave it to them)

I would add to that well thought out and sensible letter what someone else mentioned "Do not throw your knife" followed by my own suggestion " Never take a knife out and point it at someone (you can add when they are 16 "unless you are defending your life")"

I still have all but one knife my grandfather gave me, my Indian Kukri knife was accidently lost by my father when he moved ( i had some stuff in storage at his home). I have since bought another Kukri knife.

I still lose knives. There are a few in the house waiting to pounce on me at the slightest provocation. There are several "out there" mounting an attack. I just know it.