Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stages of survival?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I fear the icecream machine at McDonalds going out of order.

Happened last week, didn't think I was going to make it!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

What?.....OMG...no afternoon small Geezer cone for $.52 cents?

We have two more McD's with-in a couple of miles......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Someone offered a dime for my thoughts recently... I asked.. that wonderful, do you need change? Damn that's funny...
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Someone offered a dime for my thoughts recently... I asked.. that wonderful, do you need change? Damn that's funny...
    That is funny.....

Yeah, well all prices are going up...used to be a penny....LOL.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

i dont know what the stages might be, but i think Rick is right about the last stage being someone caring for you when you cannot care for your self.

my wifes grandparents seem to be big on that. her grandfather has spent the last 70 years acquiring more and more property. they now have over a thousand acres with a non seasonal creek running through it. there are also several ponds, an old saw mill, and a gold mine. its all one contiguous piece of land. they grow corn and other crops on a couple hundred acres, but leave most of it forested. the most brilliant thing they have done, in my opinion, is invite family members to live on their property. there is a now a decent sized community living on a five acre clearing. my wifes grandfather doesnt have to do anything he does not want to, he is the patriarch that owns the land they live on. they even have quite few steam powered engines so that they can still operate without gas or diesel if they have to. and you better believe that they have guns...

in a SHTF scenario, you can bet thats where i am going. they have already told me that my family is all welcome there. we all contribute to my wifes grandparents estate. its a community, and i cant think of a better long term survival plan than to integrate into a strong community. besides, we are only about ten miles away from them.

oddly enough, my own family possesses more skills that would be useful if the world came crashing down than my wifes family. most of her family grew up around money, so i guess that makes sense. they have a lot of scientists, politicians, lawyers, intellectuals, etc. we have builders, mechanics, architects, metal workers, lots of military, etc.
    Last edited by Auban; 10-08-2015 at 12:55 PM.