Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A couple cast iron cookware questions

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I don't think you can overheat in a normal campfire type situation. You can't get a regular campfire much over 1000f.

We had a cast iron rust removal party at one rondy I attended and we lined the big bonfire with rusty skillets and dutch ovens. Must have been a dozen or two big pieces of metal in there. We had every piece of cast iron in that fire glowing yellow hot. The next morning we pulled them out and I do not remember a single one of them cracking or showing damage.

I would say you should cool them slowly or just let them cool as the fire dies. They will still be too hot to touch long after the ashes are cold.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

This time of year brings an almost Teflon season to my cast iron. After each use I boil a cup of water in the pan to remove any stuck particles of food. I then wipe it dry and put it on the wood stove to heat adding a thin layer of Olive oil. The minute it starts to almost smoke I pull it off and it's ready for the next use. Also it seems that after initial seasoning of a new pan that fried potatos do more smooth a pan out than anything. Cooking temperature also has a major effect on the pan. Too high of a temp cooking can make food stick even in a highly seasoned pan. The same goes for seasoning, don't get in a hurry and burn the oil or your next meal will taste accordingly. It's cast iron, slow down treat it right and enjoy its flavor and traditions

Quote Originally Posted by sofasurfer View Post
    I also notice that when I wash a bare iron pan it has a constant black "discharge".
    Is it some brand we know? As a Christmas present, a boss of yesterwhen gave us gifts of meats, cheeses, crackers, dried fruit. It was in an 8" cast iron fry pan, wrapped in some colorful cellophane. Food items were tasty but I never did make that pan usable. No matter how much I cleaned and seasoned, at each use it exuded something very much like motor oil. Used motor oil. It made the food uneatable. That was my first experience with cast iron and it turned me off for years. Then I bought a Lodge pan and I've become a real lover of CI. If yours is brand X, I'd suggest trying one of the known brands.

This thread reminds me of another question bouncing around in my head - Is there an oil that is better than another? I've been using olive oil. Hate Crisco for anything. Might use sesame seed oil someday, who knows. But just been using plain olive oil. Any different experiences?
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

I love it when folks attempt to wash cast iron in water... scrubby and all. - just scour - toss in fat back and heat past 160° and life is fine... nobody has died from e-coli from cast iron.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Oh wait... As I walk around farmers markets looking at various junk and goodies... what the hell was that odd piece of cast iron for a mold that had what looked like ten cigars. Its not the Corn bread one, I got that..... What is the almost hot dog mold? I have no idea... Just asking.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

We mostly use corn oil...but DW watches Rachel Ray so Easy O O, is in the picture......
    List of smoke point and fat factors

https://jonbarron.org/diet-and-nutri...s#.Vy7AKS_2Zjp

Don't wash cast iron with soap.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Oh wait... As I walk around farmers markets looking at various junk and goodies... what the hell was that odd piece of cast iron for a mold that had what looked like ten cigars. Its not the Corn bread one, I got that..... What is the almost hot dog mold? I have no idea... Just asking.
    Hush Puppies.....(corn bread)
    or
    Bread stick pan....
    http://thepan-handler.com/product-ca...rn-bread-pans/
    Last edited by hunter63; 05-08-2016 at 12:39 AM.

Yup that's it bread stick... I had no idea is that for German pretzel?

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    This thread reminds me of another question bouncing around in my head - Is there an oil that is better than another? I've been using olive oil. Hate Crisco for anything. Might use sesame seed oil someday, who knows. But just been using plain olive oil. Any different experiences?
    I use corn oil, too.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Olive oil is not really supposed to be cooked with its delicate light flavors disappear when heated. mixed with balsamic its wonderful on a salad... Simply put oils that solidify at room temp are not as healthy as those that do not. As some fats solidify in your arteries. - Crisco - well the short version is hydrogenated lard to allow it to be shelf stable for long periods of time. Your parents and grandparents did not use this unhealthy product - it was fat back or pork fat that was rendered and stored for cooking and its short shelf life (might be weeks). Hense butter appears to be an exception. It still solidify's in the arteries and they remain pliable - where margarine... the crap that came later makes hard UN-pliable build up in your heart. Sesame Oil in many cultures is used for cooking as the flavor is imparted into the food.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

^ I meant for seasoning a cast iron pan.

- William Arthur Ward

So was I .......although I do use a bit for frying.....

Uh no - use corn oil, canola, or rendered fat back.... or bacon drippings.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Cast Iron is not worthy of 2700 views. Practice - Practice - Practice - It doesn't require a large fire. It works very well on 1/2 inch stick once it goes to coals. Small twig fires contained and on top and bottom create a bread oven. If you really want to learn this you need to set up a good working area in the back yard and go for it... Yea you are going to burn things a few times... So what, from fails come appreciation for time and diligence.

here is where you can find basics

Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 05-08-2016 at 10:37 PM.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    So was I .......although I do use a bit for frying.....
    I meant Wise Old Owl.

- William Arthur Ward

This is clearly a different view that stands apart. I appreciate going to the re-enactments as they are wonderfully entertaining and very positive. Not the best video - but has merit and understanding.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I like to use coconut oil and find it leaves the pans well seasoned, it can get nice and hot before starting to smoke too so i find it works well for searing meat.

Tonyuk
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Hey, Tony. Good to see you back!!