Thread: I didn't mean to

Default I didn't mean to

Lately we have noticed that our tomatoes have been chewed on, throughout the day we find more and more. I was blaming the wild rabbits running around, but we had not seen any near the garden nor have they ever bothered the tomatoes before.

Yesterday the boyfriend noticed a young squirrel heading for the garden and jump up on the frame of the tomato plants and began stuffing himself, a large turning tomato held in between his paws. Steve made some noise and tried to scare it off, but it stayed put, eating away, he did not want to throw a rock or anything, because these little guys have been fairly friendly and never run away when we are outside.

So I grabbed to cheap little BB gun loaded a pellet and pumped it up and shot it on the hip, worked like a charm, he ran off and never knew we were the ones that did it. Then this morning I scared of two, and a little later one came back and he was chowing down on a green tomato, I shot once close by him, and he never even flinched, just kept on eating. So I loaded another pellet and pumped it three of the recommended 8-10 pumps, since I didn't want to hurt him, just sting him.

Except when I pulled the trigger, he did a flip off the garden rail (raised bed) and into the yard, flipping and flopping and squealing pitifully....oh no, what did I do? I had Steve come have a look and the little guy was laying on his back, panting but not moving otherwise. Steve said " is he dead?" And I replied I don't think so, he is still breathing, so I ran down into the yard and picked him up and put him in a live trap so I could look him over, darn, a bloody hole right between his shoulders. He couldn't use his front paws anymore, AND the pellet had gone right on through.

Only one thing left to do now, Steve went and got his skinning knife while I dispatched the little guy. He is soaking in salt water and will go in the freezer later. I didn't mean for this to be the outcome, I just wanted him out of my tomatoes.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Sauteed in a wine reduction, sliced thin with a slice of tomato would be fitting IMO.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Critters robbing me of maters and berries got it comin'. And they know who they are. Fried squirrel and fresh maters sounds pretty good to me. (What's a Navy guy doin' talkin' about a wine reduction sauce?! You sailed into one too many French ports (get it? Wine, Port) I slay myself)

Those cheap little BB guns can be a killer, so there really isn't any such thing as hurting them enough to go away.
    When you load, aim and pull the trigger.....the result is on you.

I like them with rice and french onion soup mix in the gravy
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

At least it isnt going to waste,good for you for not just pitching carcass over the fence.my good friend has a huge squirrel problem,i always give him a hard time with the you kill it you gotta eat it deal,so far havent gotten through to him yet though.
    D

Make him give them to you!

I need two! One to eat, the other to pick out the pieces in between the teeth...Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Seriously - stick a scope on the BB gun stop using round pellets - use conical and put the little guys sunny side up and the Raptors will clean up by the afternoon.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by Duece View Post
    At least it isnt going to waste,good for you for not just pitching carcass over the fence.my good friend has a huge squirrel problem,i always give him a hard time with the you kill it you gotta eat it deal,so far havent gotten through to him yet though.
    D
    No way I'd waste it, good eating, and I gotta recoup my lost tomatoes!

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Blog Entries

Cool Nice!

tomato fed squirrel...yum, yum! ......
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    tomato fed squirrel...yum, yum! ......
    It was breakfast this morning, sauteed in onions, it was really just a snack, since it was a spring baby it wasn't very big, but tender and soooo good!

Nell, MLT (ASCP)