Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any bears in Shawnee National Forest (Illinois) ???

Default Any bears in Shawnee National Forest (Illinois) ???

Subject says it all. All my research so far shows there are no bears there, and I will call the Forest Service to double check, but wanted to see if anyone knows of bears in that forest.

Thanks !

So far as I know there are no bears in that forest.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

There are none. There are rare instances of mountain lion. One was shot a few years back. There are also venomous snakes to be concerned with. However, you will not find any area of the Shawnee Forest that will give you the isolation you are looking for. Virtually all of the area is national or state forest interspersed with private land. Unless the rules have changed there is no wilderness camping allowed in the forest. You should contact the Forest office to verify that but it has always been in designated camping locations.

Blog Entries

Cool And...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    There are none. There are rare instances of mountain lion. One was shot a few years back. There are also venomous snakes to be concerned with. However, you will not find any area of the Shawnee Forest that will give you the isolation you are looking for. Virtually all of the area is national or state forest interspersed with private land. Unless the rules have changed there is no wilderness camping allowed in the forest. You should contact the Forest office to verify that but it has always been in designated camping locations.
    Welcome to the People's Republic of Illinois! No Bears, no complete isolation, no open fires allowed. Step out of line and your spiritual journey will continue in a enclosed room with huge, sweaty men you don't even know. I'd rather camp out somewhere that I may have to be careful about bears myself. Actually did that 49 years ago in Wisconsin. We camped out in some beautiful remote camping areas. Food was kept in a Travelall and we never saw a single Bruin, although Wisconsin is noted for it's bear population. Dude you're letting your fear control you....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

You need to look at the federally designated wilderness areas. Generally, wilderness camping is allowed in them. That let's you get off the beaten path and you might get a day or two away from others but don't expect it to be a week long, alone at last, experience. It probably won't be. Your fear of bears is a bit irrational. I would concentrate more on learning about them and how best to protect yourself and less time trying to find some place that doesn't have them. My wife and I spent a couple of weeks in Wyoming and Idaho last fall where black and brown bear are quite common. Since I had no experience with either I took some time and studied them, called rangers in those states and discussed best practices with them and made my arrangements accordingly. We had no animal confrontations at all except for one panhandling chipmunk.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the info !

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Step out of line and your spiritual journey will continue in a enclosed room with huge, sweaty men you don't even know. I'd rather camp out somewhere that I may have to be careful about bears myself. Actually did that 49 years ago in Wisconsin. We camped out in some beautiful remote camping areas. Food was kept in a Travelall and we never saw a single Bruin, although Wisconsin is noted for it's bear population. Dude you're letting your fear control you....
    Sarge47, do you think it is possible to reply to someone without being condescending ? You talk about me not being very old. Well, you must be twice as old as me, but your age hasn't helped you mature much, it seems. You talk about me winning the Darwin Award. Now, this.

It sounds like you have some serious insecurities or other emotional issues. That is why you feel the uncontrollable urge to put others down. Mom didn't love you enough when you were growing up ?

You are engaged in a two dimensional medium in which you don't have the luxury of seeing someone's body language. Unfortunately, joking around doesn't always come across as the humor that is intended in a medium like this. Don't take it personally. If we get on your case you'll know it. Just look how bad everyone treats me but I know they are all joking. You guys are joking, right?

Pretty touchy there BS (BearSprayer),...... I guess I'm not seeing your point.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

I don't know if it is the case with you BearSprayer but for many people fears are not rational and cannot be reasoned away or laughed away. Therapy may work for some. At a very young age I developed a fear of large dogs but got over it, long boring story. I have been bitten since, multiple times but still no fear of them just a healthy respect. I try not to get between yapping little dogs and their little old lady owners or one who cannot hold a leash very well. I have never retaliated and broken the dog's neck because it was not the dog's fault just the owner. Same with bear damaging property.

http://www.meetup.com/Santa-Barbara-County-Hikers/It goes counter to what you want to some extent but not completely, there is a nationwide online tool that helps people connect with clubs including outdoors groups if you can join a group that goes hiking in some parks near you it will be much safer and you should learn a lot about how to be safe from all the dangers and hazards including bears. If something happens to you they can get help for your or carry you out. And there should be some alone time as well to meditate while you are out there, I doubt that you will be the only one that wants to do that, also only one that wants to burn incense and brew some herbal tea etc.

So check out "meetup dot com" and see what types of day hikes, car camping, groups and clubs are available some have small membership fees others not. Most will let you come to first event for no cost, or small cost beyond park entrance fee and transportation. I like to carpool but many people don't or cannot. Some clubs are JUST backpacking, or rock climbing others do a variety of activities. Some are just sailing or kayaking, others are hiking, sea, river, snow skiing, everything for single, married, with and without kids. So whatever you want. Just get out there.

So like I said I join the these groups occasionally to reduce transportation cost, meet new people, learn details about new areas, but often go off by myself to the peace and quiet of the wilderness once I get there but let the leader know so she or he does not worry about me.

Text Curt Cragg ask him and the other members of his active club if any of them have seen any bears on any of their hikes in recent years, sounds like several people from their organization go on a hike almost every weekend.

http://www.meetup.com/Santa-Barbara-County-Hikers/
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-24-2015 at 07:02 PM. Reason: added hiker link

Blog Entries

Cool Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by BearSprayer View Post
    Sarge47, do you think it is possible to reply to someone without being condescending ? You talk about me not being very old. Well, you must be twice as old as me, but your age hasn't helped you mature much, it seems. You talk about me winning the Darwin Award. Now, this.

It sounds like you have some serious insecurities or other emotional issues. That is why you feel the uncontrollable urge to put others down. Mom didn't love you enough when you were growing up ?
    Yo, Bear dude! It's a warning for you! I live in this stinking state and want to leave as soon as I can! You think I'm being condescending? go ahead and try to do what you want to do. Be sure you have those organ donor cards filled out!...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Default Also...

You're beginning to sound like one of those people we get on here that don't like the answers to the questions they ask. If you think we don't know anything why did you come on here in the 1st place?
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

This is rich,

A California scent sniffing, hippie hiker with a bear phobia taking on one of the original FART team members due to not getting the participation award they expected for persistent repetition of less than intelligent questions.

I really hate that we do not have a smiley face with popcorn and soda.

I think we have done all anyone can for this poor soul except applying a coating of honey and bacon grease and dumping them off at a campground in the Great Smokey Mountains and calling it immersion therapy.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Blog Entries

Cool Ya sayin'...?

Fruit cake toss?...
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

"Participation Award"?.......
    We have one of those?....Maybe we need to make one?....

This seems to be a trend lately.......?

Sarge47 you are right just Smoky Bears
    "SURVIVAL..........it's all in your Head!"

You guys are ruthless. That's a problem for Hunter. But you know what I mean.

Yeah....Ruth-less......LOL

You guys are using Ruth and bare (or is it bear) in the same sentence with H63 around? That's just cruel.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The really amazing thing is that while one person has started two threads due to fear if bears, which many people travel miles to see...

Our annual jamboree is being scheduled to take place in the middle of a BEAR SACNTUARY !!!!

Just like last year, and the year before that, and the year before that.....

And we will be there with kids, dogs.......and bacon!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?