Thread: I'm going to jungle tracking on next week! Urgent!!

Default I'm going to jungle tracking on next week! Urgent!!

guyss ! I'm going to jungle tracking next week and my lecture told us to bring our own tools..and then I found this Survival Kit on amazon! Can anyone tell me whether this is a good pick or not? It has Bear Grylls recommended on it so i think it proved that this is a quality kit ?

I really need to get it within this week so its a little bit rush right now.Thanks !

Looks like over priced junk to me. Make your own and know how to use the items before you go.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

I agree with Crash, but the reason many people buy that BG gear is because the have not allowed for time to shop around and test out better quality items at better prices perhaps from eBay with slow shipping. Most of the general types of items in the kit are good or OK. I prefer a folding saw not cable which breaks very easily. Also small roll of duct tape rolled on itself about 2-3 cm in diameter. Quality multitool and ferro rod. But if you are out of time get Bear G kit then after this trip you will see which items need to be replaced. I use his large dry bags for second layer and non-critical items but consider most all other BG gear a danger to my life in the wilderness. Just my opinion based on my experience.

BG also endorses a plastic, gi style canteen and cup that sells for about $50 without a cover or way to carry it. Mostly way overpriced gear.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Why not talk to your instructor and find out what he/she recommends?

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

Like Crash says! remember, the goal of the people that make kits like that is to have a profit of 100 to 200%. they do this by putting in cheap items. If you haven't already put together your own kit and learned how to use it why would you feel ready to run off into the jungle? More importantly, why would your instructor allow you too?

At this point you need to put your brain into "survival mode" and start thinking this through...
    Last edited by Sarge47; 07-23-2015 at 08:47 AM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Not true...

Quote Originally Posted by jdbushcraft View Post
    BG also endorses a plastic, gi style canteen and cup that sells for about $50 without a cover or way to carry it. Mostly way overpriced gear.

It costs $30 and does have a cover...still overpriced though....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned

The good thing about these group survival events is that they get to compare different gear that everyone brought. If I was the instructor I would give them vague guidelines and then use all the various items and quality as teachable moments. Hope many items failed, broke, got lost etc.
    If there are fish and time for it or small game trapping be sure your fish hooks and related gear are in very waterproof containers. Those coin sized ziplock bags from craft store get holes from hooks, moisture gets in and hooks rust fast. Salt water/marine hooks last longer but not as sharp and bad for fish and environment. I like match containers with rubber o-rings for hooks and medication. Don't mix in dark or could be a pain in ur neck.
    Also fish hook with barb bent down or rubbed off on rock is good enough alternative to sewing needle and fish line or other thin line or lose threads from clothing you can patch gear etc. So sewing kit is redundant. Possible make a fish hook from a sew needle or pin but most are very ineffective. I do like one large S.S. yarn needle if you have dyneema cord like Amsteel and know how to splice it but even a bit of wire will work or large fish hook.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-23-2015 at 09:18 AM.

Banned

Personally I don't think that all the bushcraft/survival people from the UK are con men trying to get rich quick selling overpriced junk. There are many more people like BG from the USA but with less successful T.V. shows and youtube channels.

One of the best personalites from the U.K. that I know is Ray Mears his gear is very expensive but good. His youtube videos on how to use and maintain blades are very good IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Like Crash says! remember, the goal of the people that make kits like that is to have a profit of 100 to 200%. they do this by putting in cheap items. If you haven't already put together your own kit and learned how to use it why would you feel ready to run off into the jungle? More importantly, why would your instructor allow you too?

At this point you need to put your brain into "survival mode" and start thinking this through...
    Sounds like the instructor is gonna be there........not just turn a lot of inexperienced people loose in the jungle.

So the advice to check with him/her is sound.

Why not take the list of gear that is included in BG kit....and fill in the components your self?.
    That way you are looking and trying each item as you go along rather than opening the box on the big day.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

You will not have time for shipping BUT from eBay/China a ferrocerium rod 8mm X 80mm (plenty big) can cost less than $2 US dollars including shipping (best to buy several, and leave in car, backpack, FAK, cook kit, attached to knife sheath, tied to loop sewn into your pants pocket etc.) I prefer to buy with hole drilled, or drill myself, not threaded or glue with JB weld or super glue which breaks off eventually. Sock cord or stainless steel cable or "dyneema" or similar cord 550 with reflective ribbons in it is good. Also a "Zippco" lighter or cheap plastic BIC or "Metal Match" or really good are the True "Peanut Lighter" because they are less likely to leak or get crushed, mostly just cheap knockoff brands on eBay for those. County Comm has the real ones. Then if the SHTF for real you can practice rubbing sticks. A link to $1.23 USD or 0.79 British Pound for 8 x 80 mm ferro rod but there are more not sure cost of it shipped to UK but cheaper than a paper plate of fish and chips or McDonalds Hamburger without a drink or fries.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camping-Ferr...3D151630846566

Edit: Most important tool is your brain. Go to local camping or survival/bushcraft shop/store even if it is a drive/train trip for you. Take day off work if necessary. Best on work day not weekend. Talk to best person there, ask for them don't be shy, don't talk to clueless person (because she/he is cute) new to this stuff (I have taken REI sales people on river trips many were outdoors clueless). Go thru gear they sell. Especially multipurpose gear. Most multipurpose may be a very good quality knife, there are dozens of things you can do with a good blade, tools you can make with it etc. ways to cut and strip things with it, eat with it, dig with it, seal wounds with it. Catch food with it plant and animal (also fungus). Watch some videos on how to use a knife and practice then buy or take most appropriate knife for the environment you will be going to. If you go to many different types of places you will collect many different knifes over the years, styles of blades, handles, types of steels etc, also machetes, hatchets, axes, saws (folding, buck and bow etc.) Hard part is knowing which is best for each scenario or location. Difficult choice is what to leave behind because most heavy packers don't use most of what they haul with them and just become over burdened mules. Ignorance of a newbie. I see them unpacking and messing about while I am relaxing, same routine next morning.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-23-2015 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Pack brain not rucksack

Thanks Guys, You're right my instructor said that he will teach us what to do with our kits before we went into the jungle. But anyway thanks again you guys have a right point on this =)

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

What creditable instructor does not provide an equipment list, or furnish all required items for their course?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Follow the course's packing list.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbushcraft View Post

Especially when you can get a real military one at a surplus store for $5
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

This looks like a deal....I like the stove included in mine....
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-4Pc...3D191596185375
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27