Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Getting Too Old

Default Just Getting Too Old

I hate this. I really do. I have everything I ever intend to buy to survive whatever. I've even posted that I'm done prepping and I am. There's only so much stuff you can collect (guns and bacon excluded of course). Then one morning I wake up and realize that I'm not 20 any more. I can't haul stuff on my back like I used to. No combat loads. Even 40lb packs are uncomfortable. Like many of you I've been under the knife one too many times and things aren't put back together exactly the way you were born with them.

I'm not a bug out kind of guy but there could be circumstances that would force me to leave. My first choice is by auto/truck but it's possible I won't be able to do that. I've had a pulk, skies and snow shoes for winter travel for a long while but nothing with wheels for bare ground. So I pulled the trigger today and ordered a folding deer cart. Aaaargh. I hate it. I'll let you know how it works. If I have to order one more item (guns and bacon excluded of course) I swear I'm going to accept my fate as a victim.

$70 with free shipping. It's rated for 500 lbs. I probably can't pull or push that much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271531886288

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I could see this turning into a "You know you're too old when" thread !

You know you're too old when you still look at girls but don't remember why for example......
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

I have used one for a few years....don't have a pic just now in up in the rafters, but is folding skeleton version........works good for deer, probably not for hauling anything else.

It's a two wheel cart, but have to say, for woods, a single wheel cart.....and there are a lot of them....work better for getting through brush.

As most likely most people would be interested in a hauler for flat open ground and for load bearing, two wheel should be better.

I her ya on the getting old part....have been backing off on gear and tools, not sure I gonna use them much, if at all......save the cash, pay some one, supervise from my lawn chair......LOL.

PS,.... does not apply to a few necessary things.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

If I have any luck at all I'll not be pulling it through brush or even woods for that matter.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have started looking at it the other way.

I have lived long enough to get old. That is a really neat thing and quite the accomplishment. I remember several people that have not had that success.

That is the real survival, the survival everyone dreams of. Living long and seeing your grandchildren grow up.

I was about 25 the first time I heard/read one of the original bunch of doomsday prophets. I am pretty sure it was Howard Ruff and How to Survive the Coming Hard Times . That was back in the late '70s. It didn't happen. then it didn't happen the next time they were shouting from the rooftops. Then it didn't happen again, and then again. Then we had the biggest financial failure since the Great Depression, and the world remained intact.

Hell folks, the only people I know that can keep their jobs after being that wrong, that often, work as weathermen on TV. But old Howard's books are still favorites among the "in crowd". And people are still spending millions on bunkers in the mid-west that they will never be able to get too if the "real thing" happens.

I have one of those deer hauling carts too. I haul deer with it! At least I do when I can't get anyone to run in with a 4 wheeler and get it for me. Just because the end of the world ain't here yet don't mean we can't use the gear!

Rick, find yourself an AR pistol that does not have to be fired from the shoulder and go deer hunting! use that cart and haul that sucker home!

PS. In those primitive warrior societies like everyone seems to envision in SHTF, the life expectancy was 35. That is one reason it took a million years to invent the light bulb. No one lived long enough to get as smart as us old geezers are!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-20-2015 at 02:15 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

That would be a good idea for taking a whole bunch of little kids backpacking. I should probably get one....or make one.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Just getting too old.... man oh man... the devil is old!...
    Get used to it and go on... I did it and it works!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I have used one for a few years....don't have a pic just now in up in the rafters, but is folding skeleton version........works good for deer, probably not for hauling anything else.

It's a two wheel cart, but have to say, for woods, a single wheel cart.....and there are a lot of them....work better for getting through brush.

As most likely most people would be interested in a hauler for flat open ground and for load bearing, two wheel should be better.

I her ya on the getting old part....have been backing off on gear and tools, not sure I gonna use them much, if at all......save the cash, pay some one, supervise from my lawn chair......LOL.

PS,.... does not apply to a few necessary things.
    Seems like a single wheel would try to tip side to side, like a single wheelbarrow, which is why I got the double wheeled one when they first came out

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I hate this. I really do. I have everything I ever intend to buy to survive whatever. I've even posted that I'm done prepping and I am. There's only so much stuff you can collect (guns and bacon excluded of course). Then one morning I wake up and realize that I'm not 20 any more. I can't haul stuff on my back like I used to. No combat loads. Even 40lb packs are uncomfortable. Like many of you I've been under the knife one too many times and things aren't put back together exactly the way you were born with them.

I'm not a bug out kind of guy but there could be circumstances that would force me to leave. My first choice is by auto/truck but it's possible I won't be able to do that. I've had a pulk, skies and snow shoes for winter travel for a long while but nothing with wheels for bare ground. So I pulled the trigger today and ordered a folding deer cart. Aaaargh. I hate it. I'll let you know how it works. If I have to order one more item (guns and bacon excluded of course) I swear I'm going to accept my fate as a victim.

$70 with free shipping. It's rated for 500 lbs. I probably can't pull or push that much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271531886288

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    you're gonna have hard enough time tying on all your guns, if you find them, much less trying to drag them out from the bottom of the river you lost them in

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    Seems like a single wheel would try to tip side to side, like a single wheelbarrow, which is why I got the double wheeled one when they first came out :
    If you are one of those people that have bad time with a wheelbarrow.....and they are out there.....LOL
    Don't buy one of these.
    2 wheel carts are hard to get between trees.........

Lately it been a 4 wheeler ATV or UTV....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Just add an electric motor, battery and solar panel and it's FART proof. Any old geezer could use it.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Cabelas has one called a "super magnum" game cart. It has dual wheels on it to make it a little easier on rough ground and has a heavier (700 pound) rating. It folds for easier storage, The price is higher but I'm seriously leaning toward getting one.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

I have an all-terrain little red wagon. A 4-wheeled thing. Holds about 200 lbs. I put gak tubes in the tires to make them puncture proof. I used to use it to pull a cooler and gear down the mile long sand road when fishing out on the sandbar for an overnight. That doesn't happen much any more. I'm lucky to be able to walk out there with light gear now and really sucks to catch that 40pounder within the first 20 minutes and not having had a chance to ice the knees in order to walk back. Quite honestly, I doubt I could walk the 50 miles from work to home should I need to. The GHB is quite light for that reason and contains several instant ice packs too. Not going to be a "helpless" victim. Going down swingin. But age is a factor.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Blog Entries

Cool Aw c'mon now...!

What all you old F.A.R.T.s gripin' about? Why do think we have wives for anyway?...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    What all you old F.A.R.T.s gripin' about? Why do think we have wives for anyway?...
    Yea right!

Good luck with that!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    If you knew my wife, you would know she will not stand for being a pack mule...... Even the thought of that would give me an additional survival situation on top of everything else going on!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Well, we know one thing for sure. Mrs. Sarge47 was not standing in the room while he was typing.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have a folding wagon that I use to haul stuff to the grand kids ball games. It goes from the van to the ball diamond. Saves carrying the folding chairs, etc. But I sure wouldn't want to pull that thing very far. Instead of having a front axle like a regular wagon the front wheels turn independently. Makes steering a tad tougher.

Blog Entries

Cool Shhhhhh!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Well, we know one thing for sure. Mrs. Sarge47 was not standing in the room while he was typing.
    Quiet! She might hear you!...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

I'm in the market for something similar. I have concluded that I'm too old to back pack now. I had an overnighter a few weeks ago and not only was it tough getting to sleep, but geting in and out of the tent was no east task either. Soooo having made that decision, I am now looking for a bigger tent, better airbed (maybe even a camp bed) and a set of wheels to drag all this new gear on and off the train. I'm not ready to give up camping just yet.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I'm in the market for something similar. I have concluded that I'm too old to back pack now. I had an overnighter a few weeks ago and not only was it tough getting to sleep, but geting in and out of the tent was no east task either. Soooo having made that decision, I am now looking for a bigger tent, better airbed (maybe even a camp bed) and a set of wheels to drag all this new gear on and off the train. I'm not ready to give up camping just yet.
    I tested a new tent and set up on a recent trip. It's a big tent complete with cots and all the creature comforts. The goal is to help Mrs. Crash with her back problems.

The group named the set up the Crashmahal.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel