Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When does it stop being primitive?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default When does it stop being primitive?

When do the skills and activities stop being "primitive"?

When metal enters the picture?

When synthetic fabric shows up?

When flint and steel replaces the fire bow?

When a ferro rod replaces the F&S?

When someone starts blowing up an airbed?

Now remember, we all got to the camp ground or trail head riding in an automobile!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    When do the skills and activities stop being "primitive"?

When metal enters the picture?
    Some metals OK.....not SS

When synthetic fabric shows up?
    Not primitive

When flint and steel replaces the fire bow?
    OK

When a ferro rod replaces the F&S?
    Not OK

When someone starts blowing up an airbed?
    By mouth or air pump....LOL

Now remember, we all got to the camp ground or trail head riding in an automobile!
    Good question, determined by an asker.....and an agenda.

I get the feeling it's before cell phones.....
    I asked a Amish guy....on a Forum (if that makes any sense)....about why they picked year did,... and decided what was OK and what was too "English", or too modern.

Date was in the late 1700 hundreds......(don't remember exactly what date).
    So suggested that maybe 1957 might be a good spot....B&W TV, AM Radio, '57 Chevys Rock and Roll...
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

It all stops being primitive when somebody younger than me is doing it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I don't care when it stops. I want to know when it starts. That way I can avoid it.

Most folks I camp with consider primitive camping anytime your camping without any campsite provided amenities. So, in our group atleast you could be camping in a modern tent next to your car.

I usually just refer to this as camping. It seems to be the people who have camped mostly in parks with sites around the bathroom and showers that also have water and electric, that use the term "primitive" for regular camping away from those things.

I don't think primitive is a good term for camping. I guess I would say if you built a shelter of gathered from the area materials and made fire from friction your almost primitive. If you are wearing buck skins and have an obsidian knife, your probably primitive camping.

But, the second you pull out your cell phone...

Sooooo....What's the feeling with toilet paper?

Primitive is when the whirlpool is closed at the hotel.

I always save one sheet of toilet paper to wipe the tears away when I run out of toilet paper. To me it's right up there with the last bullet so you can't be taken prisoner.

It stops at wallmart

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

The term "primitive," means different things to different people.

To Bear Grylls it's drinking urine and sheltering at the Ramada Inn.

To Cody Lundin it's doing everything he can with what he finds out in the field...except for shoes.

To Les Stroud it's looking for Bigfoot.

Some think that eating insects are being primitive. Both our State and City parks with lakes have primitive campsites. You drive up to the one at the State Park. It is nothing more than a barren piece of ground with a campfire site and no port-a-potty. Everywhere else campfires are a no-no, but they have port-a-potties. At the City Park you have to boat across the lake to reach them, again, barren ground with a campfire spot. Only place you can have a campfire. Same deal on the port-a-potties.

I was asked once by a guy working for my Chiropractor what I liked to use to start a fire with. I replied that I used the long barrelled butane lighter that you would use to start a charcoal grill with. That's primitive to me. Otherwise I'd just turn the knob on the stove and let the pilot light do the work....
    Last edited by Sarge47; 07-19-2015 at 08:36 AM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Sooooo....What's the feeling with toilet paper?

Primitive is when the whirlpool is closed at the hotel.
    Much better when you stop using these...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Ah the toilet paper plant with a soothing urushiol lotion.

Banned

Default Primitive is a relative word in the 1st world

I learned that when your friends insist on camping at a state park the area designated "primitive sites" may just be the only area that you will not get vehicle lights shining on you every time someone drives their SUV/truck to the restroom less than 100 yards from their water/electric campsite ALL THROUGHOUT THE DANG NIGHT!!!! So sure I have a long walk from sitting around the campfire talking with friends to where I hung my hammock and tarp, but so worth it. And no dang trailer/RV that leaves its dang porch lights on all night long. "Camping" in a First World Country like the USA is SOOO very different than many other parts of this world!

As you can tell by rant above I have a very low tolerance for State Parks and "improved" campgrounds be they private or public. Just what I put up with to spent time with friends and family occasionally. "Primitive" is just whatever you want it to be and makes you happy and feel more in touch with nature and your heritage or whatever.

I had a guy share a canoe with me on one trip who did not put his precious toilet paper in a dry waterproof bag, ask to use some of mine then complain I had not brought enough. WHAT THE HECK!!! I ANIT YOUR MOMMIE AND THERE IS A RIVER RIGHT THERE, WASH UP WIHT IT FOOL!!! OMG some folks just do not know how to adapt. I leaned to use river/stream water to wash my bum when I was in grade school and no one told me or showed me it was very obvious, a smooth stone or stick with bark removed is also obvious to anyone slightly smarter than a box of rocks. Am I the only person who did not have their brain destroyed by hours of TV as a child?
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-19-2015 at 05:09 PM.

It's not primitive when you're not completely naked, barefoot, and empty handed when you begin your outdoors excursion. Arg!

Primitive: Combination of 2 things...any item made only from materials produced by nature with no human influence and in it's nature-derived state when obtained, plus processed and created by human hands while the owners of those hands are living in a completely primitive manner. Self looping logic. Knot tying jibber jabber.

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    I had a guy share a canoe with me on one trip who did not put his precious toilet paper in a dry waterproof bag, ask to use some of mine then complain I had not brought enough. WHAT THE HECK!!! I ANIT YOUR MOMMIE AND THERE IS A RIVER RIGHT THERE, WASH UP WIHT IT FOOL!!!
    Shoot, I don't use toilet paper now. I hate toilet paper. I don't see what the stuff even does. A wad of weak tissue paper is what I'm gonna wipe my butt with after doo doo has come out of it? If my stool has been normal and healthy, a wad of weak paper doesn't do anything...if otherwise and I'd need a cleaning, a wad of paper certainly doesn't even begin to do anything. I always just did the deed, then hit the shower...same time, regular rhythm, every day. So, toilet paper on a camping trip? No...got no space in my pack for that crap. Don't even have it in my house. Haven't bought t-paper in 2 decades.

...I'll just look for the swear-fine machine mounted on some tree and swear at it instead of trying to figure out the 3-seashells.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 07-20-2015 at 05:54 AM.

Did the Native Americans stop being primitive when they traded for the first steel knife they saw?

Or the first steel flint striker?

Although they had a different attitude toward body image, many of the tribes were very modest and always wore clothes.

Footwear too, some of the most ancient artifacts we have from almost every culture is footwear.

As for your personal hygiene issues, the avoidance of tp is not primitive, just nasty, but the need for the immediate shower is going to cause a problem in a "primitive" setting.

It's interesting that all the stuff we have today was developed because the earlier version was simply too labor intensive or unpleasant. Of course, marketing now plays a role in our "stuff" but, by and large, we invented things to make life easier and/or more pleasant. I would venture a guess that if Grog were taken out of his cave and placed in one of our homes with air conditioning, safe running water and toilet paper he'd bash you good if you tried to take him back to the cave. And we talk about returning to that life style? I have to believe that Grog would trade us his cave for our home, his spear for our guns, his chasing every meal for our supermarket.

I find it a tad hard to believe that toilet paper is never used. Either that or you stay home 24/7, which could be the case. I can believe you've never purchased it. I've known more than one person that took stuff home from their work then bragged they never had to buy a given item.

I think that what he is saying is that he substitutes massive quantities of Klenex for the TP.

Same item, different shape, and not placing one in a "primitive condition or situation" at all since I have never seen Kleanex dispensers next to the swear fine machine.

Look again. He ended that sentence with a question mark. Maybe he uses three fingers in place of corn cobs.

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Note to self: If Walking tree wants to visit put "out of order" sign on bathroom door and put an out house in the backyard.....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Forgot to mention...I grow corn out back.

White or brown cobs?