Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: When does it stop being primitive?

White, so I can tell how much use I have left in one.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    White, so I can tell how much use I have left in one.
    Use brown...white is just for checking....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    White or brown cobs?
    Depends I guess.....before or after.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Depends I guess.....before or after.
    You have to know the system.

Back in the day they kept a bucket of brown cobs and a bucket of white cobs.

First you used a brown cob. Then you used a white cob, to see if you needed to use another brown cob.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

And that, dear friends, is why God invented toilet paper.

Primitive is when you do things differently than the Neandrethal!
    Last edited by Wildthang; 07-21-2015 at 09:46 AM.

Banned

Roman soldiers were all issued a spongia or a sea-sponge on a long stick, NOT something that would run out quickly like toilet paper. God invented the sea-sponge and sticks and human brain to put them together. See photo of Roman public toilets with holes for the "Spongia". I imagine if in battle a soldier lost or broke his sword and only had a short dagger he could use the "spongia" to distract his opponent while getting close enough to stab him.
    It would be rough on the bum and nose in areas with little water.

http://www.wondersandmarvels.com/200...let-paper.html

This is not actually primitive, but very civilized in my opinion, plain sticks with no sponge or stones are primitive.
    I hang my "spongia" so the sea-sponge is just below my backpack but not touching my legs, occasionally those on the trail being me squeeze it then ask for an explanation, which they regret. ha ha ha. Perhaps I should not rinse it out so well, so it would be self explanatory.

Only joking I have not yet tried a spongia for camping, but have considered it.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-21-2015 at 10:35 AM.

You don't hear the whispers when other go by the other way on the trail....?

"Ewww....What was that?......Who was that?......Old Stinky just walked by?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    You don't hear the whispers when other go by the other way on the trail....?

"Ewww....What was that?......Who was that?......Old Stinky just walked by?
    Do you change your underwear?....

Correct order.
    Day one.......Right side out, correct direction.
    Day two.......Right side out Turn around
    Day three.....Inside out...correct direction
    Day Four......Inside out...turn backwards

Day 5 Change with Joe.....Start over.

Blog Entries

Cool Here's a test.

It's all a matter of perception. For example, you're in the market for a house and you find two that stand out. One has indoor plumbing, the other one an outhouse; which, in your opinion, would you consider primitive?

One house only has an outhouse but the 2nd house doesn't even have that, you have to use the nearby woods. Again, which would you consider primitive.

While I admire those who can start a fire with a bow drill and the like I find that they are really not an applicable fire-starting method in any given survival situation unless you have lost your ferro rod, mag block, matches, lighter, etc.! Why? Because in a true survival situation you need to conserve as much energy as possible, and the primitive methods seem to take a lot more energy than the others....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

white / brown:

I can see that. Makes more sense. Why waste cobs using the wrong ones. First use, no need to check. When about finished, white would let you know for sure.

Yea sarge, primitive can be relative. I agree with that.

The Amish use outhouses.....and have no indoor plumbing....except maybe a have pump by the sink.
    They do not think it's primitive....just the way it is.

The built my cabin....and I had laid out where I wanted the windows on the east end........they normally would put the in the center, or if there are two....spaced out evenly.
    I had measured out a small window in the upper left hand corner.....and a bigger kitchen window off to the right.
    They questioned the placement, so I showed them my plans....bathroom /kitchen separated buy a 6" service wall (I do that part).....

They laughed at me....why would anyone put the kitchen next to where you poop...bathroom?
    I would have to agree if it had been an outhouse there, instead of a flush toilet.

Primitive is relative.

I had a perspective explained to me awhile back regarding toilet paper. We westerners laugh at other cultures and there means for dealing with the requirements of doing their duty. Those who use squat toilets think that you are insane to make contact with your skin on a dirty public toilet.

The swishers and not users of the vile left hand as well as the users of the bidet don't think toilet paper is very clean. A person from a country that swishes made a valid point. Swishers may be like the Indians that have no indoor plumbing and so take a dump in the river in public and then they reach behind them and clean with water and their hand. then they swish their hand in the water.

Something most of westerners would find this disgusting. How, can swishing your hand in dirty water clean your hand of such filth. They reply that it can't and that is why they don't touch food or people with their left hand. They then asked if you placed your hand in poop and wiped it off with paper would you eat with that hand?

And that, dear friends, is why God invented soap and hot water. There's a pattern evolving here.

I don't use my hand. Solves that problem.

Not nasty at all, and isn't really that hard to imagine even if it’s new to you. In fact one should imagine that water and soap gets you cleaner than some wads of dry tissue-strength paper:

1 - Go by the rhythm of doing #2 then showering in the morning, and/or in the late afternoon/evening. Your body quickly begins to go by that rhythm, unless you’re always eating spicy chili at random times of the day. I never even need to go during the day. Have used public toilets for #2 away from home maybe 5 times in two decades, approximately (and in such cases I use paper just fine). If I were going to visit you at your house, you wouldn’t have to worry...know how you tell the kids to wee wee before a little trip? Same thing.

2 – If stool is good, there’s nothing to even wipe – though I’m still getting in the shower anyway. If stool isn’t so good and wiping would be needed, then a wad of paper isn’t going to get it nearly as good as water and soap.

3 – Do the doo. Then enter shower. Shower as usual with water and soap. Let water run down and between buttcheeks. Use hands to move each cheek up and down against each other, for a scrubbing action while water is running. Employ other creative yoga body positions during shower if desired and able.

4 – During the normal soap application stage, bend slightly over and let ample amounts of soap run down your lower back down between your buttcheeks. Scrub buttcheeks against each other once again.

5 – Do the same for rinsing, including rinsing other parts of your body as you would normally do anyway.

6 – (A different method may need to be used by females.)

So, upon closing…no, I never have toilet paper in my house, and haven’t bought any in forever. No, it’s not nearly as nasty as using paper. No, there are no problems created by your wash running down the shower drain. Plenty of water gets flushed through it as usual, and it all goes to the same place within a few feet of the plumbing. No, the hands don’t even come in contact with any stool. No, there are no problems with me having to “go” during the day. The idea of that need is a bit alien to me.

Hard to believe? Shouldn't be. Nasty? Who's bum is cleaner...a paper user, or someone who uses water and soap every day like they already are doing with showers?
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 07-22-2015 at 11:20 AM.

Good luck with that.

So here at WSF, we have determined that primitive is an abstract term that means many different things to many different people. So it is almost a word that means absolutely nothing except maybe what you want to think and believe it is! We have spent 2 pages commenting on something that almost means nothing!

So now, this has me pondering on the true meaning of Wilderness!

Is wilderness where the town stops and the country begins?

Is it anywhere there is a bunch of trees and bushes?

Is it always at least 50 miles from any town?

Is it always like endless vast country where man rarely ventures?

Is it all of the above?

Or is it only what you believe it to be? Sort of like primitive.........LOL

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    I don't use my hand. Solves that problem.

Not nasty at all, and isn't really that hard to imagine even if it’s new to you. In fact one should imagine that water and soap gets you cleaner than some wads of dry tissue-strength paper:

1 - Go by the rhythm of doing #2 then showering in the morning, and/or in the late afternoon/evening. Your body quickly begins to go by that rhythm, unless you’re always eating spicy chili at random times of the day. I never even need to go during the day. Have used public toilets for #2 away from home maybe 5 times in two decades, approximately (and in such cases I use paper just fine). If I were going to visit you at your house, you wouldn’t have to worry...know how you tell the kids to wee wee before a little trip? Same thing.

2 – If stool is good, there’s nothing to even wipe – though I’m still getting in the shower anyway. If stool isn’t so good and wiping would be needed, then a wad of paper isn’t going to get it nearly as good as water and soap.

3 – Do the doo. Then enter shower. Shower as usual with water and soap. Let water run down and between buttcheeks. Use hands to move each cheek up and down against each other, for a scrubbing action while water is running. Employ other creative yoga body positions during shower if desired and able.

4 – During the normal soap application stage, bend slightly over and let ample amounts of soap run down your lower back down between your buttcheeks. Scrub buttcheeks against each other once again.

5 – Do the same for rinsing, including rinsing other parts of your body as you would normally do anyway.

6 – (A different method may need to be used by females.)

So, upon closing…no, I never have toilet paper in my house, and haven’t bought any in forever. No, it’s not nearly as nasty as using paper. No, there are no problems created by your wash running down the shower drain. Plenty of water gets flushed through it as usual, and it all goes to the same place within a few feet of the plumbing. No, the hands don’t even come in contact with any stool. No, there are no problems with me having to “go” during the day. The idea of that need is a bit alien to me.

Hard to believe? Shouldn't be. Nasty? Who's bum is cleaner...a paper user, or someone who uses water and soap every day like they already are doing with showers?
    Much to do with pooooooooooo!

Wilderness= No cell phone coverage.
    Walkingtree, we are actually talking about real life in the world.....a world where showers are not next to a "pooping place"....and showers are made from water you collect, or have to carry.

I suspect your imaginary world is coming into play with your posted dissertation on proper toilet etiquette....Might be wrong...???

If not....Good luck with that.

^ Out in the wild, what I said would be irrelevant. A stone and some water would be the order of the day.

See previous posts, to remember the conversational context. I wouldn't bother taking T.P. into the wild, because I don't even use it now.