Thread: lightweight bow

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default lightweight bow

Sad to say that I am getting too old to bow hunt. I may have a couple more years in me but I am hitting limitations.

I got the bow out to do some practice and after about half dozen draws, and a switch between three different bows, I had to hang the things up. My back was killing me!

Went in and got onto the computer.

Do you realize how difficult it is to find a hunting quality bow that draws less than 50 pounds and is not either sold pink or "Muddy Girl" and still has a 30" draw?

And I did not realize how much bows had increased in price in the past decade !!$$!!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I'd like to have a traditional bow made by Tom Orr........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Is there a minimum draw weight in Ky? I'm 6'3 and draw 29". But, I got back into archery about 10 years ago after a long hiatus. I just shot what my brother shot. The lightest bow I have is 45lb re-curve. But, I have a take down that I was thinking of getting some 30lb or even 25lb just for playing in the yard.

Our archery season opens up August 1st.

Krat - if you want to get rid of any of those bows let me know. Been wanting to pick one up again - last time was a long, long, long time ago.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have a Diablo recurve take-down from Martin, rather cheap and at 50# it puts arrows deep into blocks, never hunted with it but might be worth a shot to look at those.

The real thing is that after 3 back surgeries I am not going to be pulling any 50# bows any more.

40# is now my limit and I have to be careful pulling that. Everything I had was either 50#+ or target bows of 20-25#.

I finally found a cheap little compound that is adjustable from 35-55 pounds, has a 65% let off and will accept all the needed accessories. I have rigged it the way I need it and cranked the weight down to 40#.

I would just quit bow hunting if the best of my WNA areas, the one with the best deer, were not archery only. that and there are occasions when I want to take one of the critters that amble down to the back corner of the lot to see what kind of treat I have left them.

I do not leave anything during the open season, but they still come check the spot.

That little corner is exactly 38 yards from the back porch and the apple tree in the neighbors yard is 25yards.

I just picked up a 40# TD recurve from basspro for $120. It's for my nephew to hunt with this year and he loves it

Have you considered crossbow? Might be the way to go if you have back issues.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Have you considered crossbow? Might be the way to go if you have back issues.
    Got one. It's part of my "Daryl rig" I had to rig a claw that hooked to my belt to cock the thing and take the strain off my back muscles. I used it last year.

It is OK for use during the gun season but the WMA does not want them used during regular bow season. I really should get a note from my doctor so I could use it all through the archery season.

While our gun and Black power seasons run a broken up month for gun and two separated weeks for BP, the archery season is 4 months long, from September till January without interruption. There is also a one week crossbow season in there, but it comes at the tail end when all the game is spooked.

We are covered up with deer this year. I have never seen anything like it. It seems there is one peeking out of the brush line every time I look out the back door.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-20-2015 at 01:31 PM.

Gotcha, KyRat. In Ohio, crossbow is considered archery and can be used at anytime during bow season.......
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I bought a 40lb les dundson long bow a coupla yrs ago,have only used it on targets so far but is fairly easy to draw

sounds like a lot of experienced bow hunters here. I would like to try archery, i'm looking at the Martin Jaguar Takedown Bow, 45-Pound.
    I don't think i'll have any problem with the 45 LBS draw weight. What kind of arrows would be best for practice? What length/size do i need?Would i be better off with a different bow to start with? Do i need anything to start out besides Bow,arrows and a target? Sorry i know a lot of questions.

Good questions are always welcome. It's those vague ones that we cringe on.

The arrow length is going to depend on your draw length. Most people are between 28" to 30". You can take your arm span with both arms stretched out fully and divide that measurement by 2.5 and you'll get a good draw length. Mine is 29". Your arrow should be 1" or 2" longer than your draw.

I use 400 grain carbon arrows. I used to shoot 100 grain tips. But, I was asking the guys at 3 Rivers about the spine and weight of my arrows and he said that if I shot 125 grains based on the bows I had mentioned then my arrows would work for every bow I have. He did at least act like he was looking it up.

I have heard some say to use a light arrow and draw weight for practice. I have three re-curves, a straight hickory bow, a Spectre compact take down, and my compound. Draw weights are from 45# to 70#.

My brother has the Martin Jaguar Takedown. But, he seems to shoot his regular re-curve more often Which is a Martin from the late 70's or early 80'. It was my bow and when he got old enough to hunt he inherited it. Same bow my son learned to shoot with. I have the Samick Sage take down, which I like better than my other re-curves.

You'll also need a bow stringer and finger guard and maybe an arm guard.

Blog Entries

Any bowyer worth his salt can make you a low draw weight bow. Figure 450 to 500 to get started with most custom one piece bos and 550 to 750 for take downs. Another option is the samick sage take down. it can be had in weights from 30 to 65lbs limbs for under 200. Want to build your own? Maybe a bamboo backed tri-lam I can walk you throught it. Want to build a glass bow I can walk you through it and get you setup with stack thickness and form plans.

the Bamboo backed tri-lams are easy to build and run about 100 bucks in materials to build. A glass hybrid like I build will cost you 360 in materials plus the forms and hose and etc and it climbs from there so glass is out unless you just want to do it.
    Its the bits between birth and death that define a life well lived.

Had a nice little 35# re-curve, fiberglass....bought it at a yard sale, for like 5 bucks.
    Gave it away to a nephew, who shot it for a while, then made a carp bow out of it.

Kinda wish I still had it.
    I'll keep looking....as well.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

New Line Up for Martin is out some very nice light weight options available. you have wood TD Recurves going as low as 15# I'll be buying a new bow around January and may just opt for light limbs, 29# seems interesting, if they are still interchangeable with my Diablo/ Jaguar Riser.

(I get a new bow almost every year as it comes with free membership to the range for a year and the yearly membership cost $120)

http://www.martinarchery.com/ranges/wood/