Thread: "I Want To Go Survive In The Wildernes"

Default "I Want To Go Survive In The Wildernes"

How often on this site, and others, is that question asked by the (usually quite young) ignorant but "idealistic" males who want to know where they can squat on free land with their rifle, large knife, back pack, and a couple MREs, hunt and trap and live off the land in the remote wilds?? And, "What do I need to take with me to survive 'out there'?"

Many here sometimes respond with some information as to the barriers and drawbacks and that there is no "free land," etc.

I suggest instead of wasting time trying to explain, just give this site I'll list called "The Last Alaskans," where it shows very explicitly what equipment, skills, and determination it takes to "survive" out in the wilderness hunting and trapping and living off the land, etc. Also it very explicitly shows the constant dangers that can kill a person "out there" in a New York Minute. It also shows just how much money is needed to buy the necessary equipment: tools, food, boats, snowmobiles, fishing, trapping, hunting, etc., etc., etc.

There are six, 44 minute videos depicting four families in the Alaska wilderness, and there is nothing romantic about it. "Romance of the Wilderness" seems to appeal to the "escapists." It is hard hard work every single day. And nothing is guaranteed.

Anyway, save yourself some time and typing and just post this link to the new escapists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y53N8x6MAXQ

S.M.
    Last edited by Seniorman; 07-19-2015 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Episode One site changed.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yea, well,

Good luck with that too!

Too many "experts" here to get us to all shut up in unison!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

We already have a sticky that addresses those folks but they don't bother to read it or search the site.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ve-in-the-Wild

No one would believe us anyway......unless you repeat back to them in a positive way the things they want to hear, it's gonna go right over their head.
    They don't really want to RATTW they want everyone to say, "Wow, you are so cool and brave, and smart and a badazz......I wish I could do that too."

Other wise why would they come on here no one know who, what and where and ask/tell us about it.
    Just Go already........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You expect one of these I WANT IT NOW types to watch a 44 minute video?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Perhaps we are all wrong in our approach to this and not aiding the normal processes of evolution to take place.

Perhaps we should give them all the encouragement and positive support we can and let the people of Alaska worry about disposal of the bodies.

From what I see on the other Alaska TV shows, the average newcomer to Alaska actually winds up getting busted for smoking dope in a trailer with no power, heat, or running water tucked into the side of some gravel road outside Fairbanks anyway.

No job, no brains, not a single car or truck made after 1999 and most do not even notice that it is snowing outside and they are barefoot.

Some of the tweekers we get here looking for free everything would fit right in, or already did.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-14-2015 at 03:07 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Too bad we can't up with a real address....so we have a place to send them.....

Perhaps if we suggest they be outfitted with only the best gear then we'll have stashes all over the place in a short while. If something goes wrong just find where one of them died and you'll have good gear to use.

Hope they don't "melt into the clothes"....never get that smell out.

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    You expect one of these I WANT IT NOW types to watch a 44 minute video?
    Wasn't that "six 44 minute videos?" That type of mentality would cause them to smirk cuz they know better...yeah, right.

I say we tell them the proper way to kill an Anaconda, then teach them the "Green Anaconda" song to sing afterwards!...
    Last edited by Sarge47; 07-14-2015 at 10:42 PM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned

Discovery Channel's "Alaska Bush People" does a fairly good job of depicting some dirt poor people getting even poorer trying to scratch out a living in "Alaska's Wilderness". But they are shown not having to answer to a boss very often except with some boring menial labor jobs to get money for very basic items just to not freeze to death or starve. Even when all polished up to look as pretty as possible by T.V. production and editing crews it is still not very pleasant. I spent some time with very poor people in the Amazon. Those on the edge between civilization and the true wilderness with only one or two generations of true wilderness survival experience and knowledge were generally the most pathetic. Also a high infant mortality rate, and many died from accidents and simple illnesses. IMO not a desirable lifestyle. Difference between success and failure is luck and a lot of skill. I also knew a very few extremely wealthy illiterate gold miners. "El Chapa" down in Sinaloa lives a very simple life and has a lot for $. I would not want to be him, red dots following him everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    "Wow, you are so cool and brave, and smart and a badazz......I wish I could do that too."
    This is going to be my new answer..... with the recommendation to go to Siberia.
    Oh yeah, and suggest they buy really expensive stuff.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Blog Entries

Cool Actually...

I just want to survive "Black Friday" at Wally World!...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Remember that avoidance is the best defense. Don't go and you won't have to worry about it. Rest assured I won't be there.

I seen the last Alaskans. Was Ok I guess. Makes me want to make important the difference between how tough things can get and "ready" you really need to be...versus your outlook on your life in such a world - melancholy, or upbeat and joyful. That part is up to you. Alaskan Bush people...that seemed more on the sensationalizing/entertainment end. Yea, they just got poorer and poorer. But it seemed to have very little practical and real-reality info (versus t.v. reality).

With all that said, this is something more what I like - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPbz5TDy6fs Not so primitive though.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 07-18-2015 at 01:20 PM.

I had seen that back when it came out....and thought he basically succumbed to loneliness and despair.
    Good example of mind set.

Alaskan Bush people are a joke.....who survives in the wilderness in a motorcycle jacket?

Wonder how much they pay to be that silly.
    Last edited by hunter63; 07-18-2015 at 01:21 PM.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Yea Alaska Bush People is the one Alaskan show that all of us know is fake. Due to the internet, media, and Alaska based forums, it is hilarious what they try to pull off as real. Hang on, I'll try to find some and post them here.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Pretty sure these were the guys around Ketchikan. I heard a lot of really goofy stuff about their project. Its hard to imagine anything more bogus than these folks passing themselves off to be bush people. I heard they bought a box of frozen humpies at the cold storage and pretended that they were still alive and were acting like they were catching them in the creek with their bare hands. I can only imagine how realistic that footage must be. Also, a local they were working with called me up and said they wanted a whole deer to gut, skin and butcher on camera. They wanted to know how much I would charge to go get them a deer and bring it back in the round. I was concerned with the legality of their proposition and also how well they would process the animal for my freezer, or if I would get my deer back at all. Not to mention that I wouldn't dream of hauling a buck off the mountain in September in one piece. I passed. If you can't catch a humpy or shoot a buck around here in September, you are far from an "AK bush person" IMO...
    I cant wait for a creepy guy with a handle bar mustache tell me about how dangerous living in alaska is. With names like merry christmas snowbird or whatever the girls name is who wouldnt be interested.

i must admit i think the one episode of alaska moose men i saw was worse than the parts of this show ive watched. They're both up there in worst alaska based shows.
    I was not clear on one part of what I asked.....Do people actually just pick a piece of land and live on it regardless of who owns it ? like State or Federal property ? The TV show seems to indicate that ?
    No.
    And every year, as the state sells more and more public lands through the land lottery system, there is more and more land be locked up, gated, and posted.

If you're interested in legally acquiring land in Alaska, go to the Dept. of Natural Resources page and sign up for the list serve; they will email you notification of every public sale. But it ain't cheap no more.

PS: Many (if not most?) Alaskans hate and despise most of those shows, and this is exactly why; they give people from outside, such as yourself, blatantly false and misleading notions about life in Alaska. (It's not your fault personally, I think a lot of us are just sick to death of it.)
    I'll just post the title to the news articles from our state wide newspaper.

Digging for the reality behind 'Alaskan Bush People' claims of gunfire
    http://www.adn.com/article/20140531/...claims-gunfire
    Crime & Justice
    Stars of Alaska reality TV show charged with PFD fraud
    http://www.adn.com/article/20141022/...rged-pfd-fraud
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!