Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to function test an old lantern before you buy it

Well that worked out perfect. Cool beans.

Large bipedal Primate Billofthenorth's Avatar

I hate to resurrect such an old thread but....just got my first M1950 (1966 manufacture) a few weeks back and love it. I had to replace the pump cup leather but as far as I can tell, the gaskets are original or were replaced by a previous owner. They are still pliant and functional. I have replacements but I'd rather not use them until they are really needed. The entire complement of replacemant parts was in the pump handle, though the rubber and the packing are a might worse for wear after 50 years. When I got it, it didn't look like it had been used in years and when it had it was used hard. It runs great though and I perc my coffee almost daily with it.
    Some of the 'stovie' forums recommend just changing out the gaskets on a regular basis to avoid leaks and runaway stoves. You guys that have had them and used them for years, what is your experience? I hate to fix something that ain't broke, like spell check, it usually causes more trouble than it fixes.

As an FYI, I've gotten good mileage from it with kerosene though it prefers white gas. Anyone tried other fuels in it....results?
    Last edited by Billofthenorth; 09-04-2016 at 10:10 AM.

They are indeed bomb proof. If it works, I wouldn't touch it. There were a lot of the 1950s that hit the market about 10 years ago +/-. They are a great, reliable stove. Any parts you need you can pick up on ebay or oldcolemanparts.com. I've even seen the containers/pots on ebay.

As for fuel, you can use unleaded gas in them. White gas is unleaded gas without the additives.