Thread: Are These Cherries Edible?

Default Are These Cherries Edible?

I have a tree growing in my yard with cherries on it. In the spring it had light pink and white blossoms. Are these cherries edible?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Thanks!

I would suggest you take a sample to your county extension office. They can identify the exact cherry you have. Relying on strangers on a forum to determine if something is edible is risky at best.

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.....
    Looks like a cherry...what does it taste like?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Edibility being in a way relative; yes they are so long as the flavor is acceptable. The pericarp of the drupes are not toxic, at any rate.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I would suggest you take a sample to your county extension office. They can identify the exact cherry you have. Relying on strangers on a forum to determine if something is edible is risky at best.
    Strongly agree. If you have a detailed photo of flower/bloom extension office may be able to identify cultivar. Hold next to a scale/ruler if it is fairly large it is almost definitely an improved variety (cultivated), not wild. But better to be certain. I worked the volunteer phone/email line at local county extension office for many years until I got bored with it. There is only so much we could do for people, but a certified nursery person at a quality garden center may also be able to help.

Bottom line if it is more than 1/2" diameter probably will not send you to E.R. unless you eat 2 gallon bucket full or you are allergic to them. But DON'T risk it ask neighbor or give some to mother-in-law. Joking...

BTW birds can handle more or different levels of toxicity than humans so if mammals like squirrels, raccoons, opossums etc. are feeding on them it is a good sign but not a certainty it is safe for you. But this is what I use when I am in the wilderness and not a quick visit or email from local extension office or garden center. I have also seen small rodents on clay banks eating clay to neutralize the acid or toxins in berries and nuts so I prefer not to do THAT!!! But will if necessary, or self pump my stomach which can just make it worse. BETTER TO AVOID NEEDLESS RISK!
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-02-2015 at 08:40 PM. Reason: BTW birds are NOT mammals

If you did end up giving them a lick or two and they had an unpleasant taste I would say judging by the looks of the bark, leaf and the very similar tree in my back yard I would say it is a bitter cherry. From my knowledge they are edible but not pallitable. As stated above by the senior members getting a official lookse would be preferable. Given your location this is a common tree around the PDX / Vancouver area.