Thread: Wilderness Survival Teacher at High School Level

Default Wilderness Survival Teacher at High School Level

Hey everyone! My name is Joe and I am a high school teacher and just started teaching a Wilderness Survival and Recreation class. I need some help. I was wanting to experiment with the Fire Plough method with my students this year. I have money to purchase wood to use for this project. My question is what kind of wood should I purchase for my base and the wood for my stick? Is this something I could get a local lumber store or lowes or Home Depot? Thank you all for your help!

Where are you located?

If you're teaching a class why not use the wood available to everyone for free, whatever you find in the woods?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    Where are you located?

If you're teaching a class why not use the wood available to everyone for free, whatever you find in the woods?
    My thoughts exactly. What survival teacher goes to a forum to find what he should already have knowledge about, if he is the teacher?

As a 35 year career educator and a lifetime outdoorsman might I suggest you take a couple more courses yourself before attempting to present. I know that is not how the education system works, but it is how the real world world works.

This is not the 20% of the day you are allowed to teach outside your certification area, or a cable reality show.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Don't use resin laden wood. Make the base of a harder wood than the plough. If you can find woods around you rather than the lumber store (after all, your class is wilderness survival and not wood shop) that would be best. Woods like yucca and cottonwood for the plough work well. Practice your technique before you get in front of your students (but you probably already knew that part). Good luck.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

hey joe for your own sake study all you can first alone to become good at your bushcraft skills.
    i say this to help so please don't take it as a jab. about anything you need to know reguarding
    wilderness survival in right here in our archives, many oldtimers willing to help those who are willing
    to learn. just so you know.
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.