Thread: Using survival kits

Default Using survival kits

I have a few survival kits I keep in various places. This thread, http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...utube-videos-! Got me thinking about how I practice with my kits (either homemade, or store bought). If the kit is store bought, I buy at least two. One to practice with, and one to keep stored. Same goes with pieces for homemade kits. Anyone else do this?
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

I don't have any pre-packaged kits - just items that I have pieced together and use. I do make sure that I am comfortable with each and every piece in the kits I put together.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Same as Crash. I don't want to wait until I need it to find out I don't know how to use it. I'm more concerned about the aging of some items.

My survival kits are homemade, region specific, and tested. My goals with them are pretty much are not die of dehydration or hypothermia... and get back out.

My limited experience with prepackaged kits are they are expensive and contain at least a few items that I'd never use. Or the kit is a buncha junk.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

I make all my own SKs. I have used the same type of components that are in the kits to make sure that I know how. since I'm a totally believer that 1st aid is an essential component to any proper SK I have also taken both a 1st Aid adult/child CPR course and keep up on them as well...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

So, is a "survival kit" something made up and carried "JIC", or something you carry and use?
    Mine are more "use kits".......from the belt pouch, to completely packed trailer...to everything in between.

Refining, repacking, and restocking take place almost constantly.....big day is daylight saving time, .....spring and fall for batteries, add water/remove water, re-supply snacks.

On that note, water left in the truck in el-cheapo plastic bottles, did freeze real hard.....but didn't break....so maybe just replace with fresh?......Kept in a 6 pack cooler so if they break...it's contained.

Then there is the Alice pack with my woods survival gear....Sits there ready to go....packed with all the tips and suggestions that we discuss, buy cool stuff, argue about, re-pack, re-supply......but so far I have never used it as a survival kit.....Just took out last years MRE and freeze dried stuff....Haven't replaced them yet.

About the only things I haven't used or tried out... IN that pack... are the space/survival blankets, tube tents, and cheapo ponchos....because of the "sproong" factor....Have tried other times....but haven't had to "Use" them..........They never go back in the package, or get folded up correctly.

Never bought a "Kit".....have FAK's....tucked every where, some in zip locks... with fire/ knife /flashlight and space blanket.(my 4 essentials )

Been working on cleaning out trucks, kits,......tool boxes (yesterday)....as I needed an Allen Wrench at the "Place".....last week....so am making up a care package of "dups" and needed tools for transport.

Today ........"Red Trailer"....taking out some modern camping gear....repacking with balance of Primitive gear for a Rondy at the end of the month.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    So, is a "survival kit" something made up and carried "JIC", or something you carry and use?
    Mine are more "use kits".......from the belt pouch, to completely packed trailer...to everything in between.
    That's why I just call mine kits. The survival situation is what I want to avoid. Sure, I have some emergency gear that hopefully won't get used.......well except for the Starflash signal mirror.......works well for shaving.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hunter - The distinction I would make is my "use" kits have only stuff that I typically use. My "survival" kit has stuff that I hope to never use but would probably need it if in dire straights. It's a kit that can be added to my bag like my fire kit or hygiene kit. Or I can carry it alone like in the console of the truck.

Well, I don't "use" everything belt pouch kit, actually very little of the stuff is used, so I guess that's the closest thing to a PSK.
    The Alice Pack is most likely the best example of stuff I never use....although much of the contents are redundant to other kits, stashes , caches, and bags.
    But is geared to be "stand alone" basic grab and go bag....for the outdoors.

My normal "Grab and go bag" is urban, hotel, cabin and evacuation....but is used and updated all the time......stuff being washed as we speak....from the last trip......will be repacked and ready.

So even if there is no vehicle involved....between the Alice Pack and Go bag....most bases covered.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I also put together my own survival kits. Some items are rotated out during the seasons.
    I like to practice using the items in made up scenarios.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Blog Entries

Cool Correction!

I mis-spoke earlier, I do have several of the U.S.M.C. Force Recon survival Kits stashed hither and yon. However, I did open one and found out at that time that :

A.) I was on the right track as the kit carried a lot of the same items I do.

B.) Some of the items could also be purchased seperately on ebay to be added to my home made SKs as the quality was really good.

C.) It also gave me some ideas of things to add to my own kits....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'm more concerned about the aging of some items.
    Oh.......man.......not gonna do it....I better leave that one alone.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

The truth does hurt. Well, not so much hurt as depress...if you know what I mean.