Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Desert survival

A four man tent is going to be pretty heavy to carry across the desert. I doubt anyone will heft it very long.

I thought that I might go down the tarp route as per the previous posts or make them all squeeze into a two man tent what u guys think?

You could always use "asthma guy" as the odd man out.....survival of the fittest, ya know?
    4 people too many for the tent?........Bam out the door.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Any decent tent will survive a sandstorm. Just take the poles out and lay inside it without poles.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

You might also consider a Shemagh / Keffiyeh / Scarf as a piece of your character's kit, also a bed sheet would be a good thing to have. when my boys and I go motorbike riding we all carry half of a queen size sheet in our pack for sun shade for wind protection and signaling for help,( happend to find some orange bed sheets at wallyworld. ) good cheap, effective for under $10.00

I vistied a camping shop and the guy there recommended a terranova quasar tent, he said its pretty much bombproof and easy to carry and assemble so I'll base it on that. Like u guys said as long as it is believable.

Quote Originally Posted by maxibon View Post
    I vistied a camping shop and the guy there recommended a terranova quasar tent, he said its pretty much bombproof and easy to carry and assemble so I'll base it on that. Like u guys said as long as it is believable.
    9Lbs, $900. Well, it IS a fictional story.

I've had cars that cost less than that. With all the rust they might have weighed in around there too.

Love the quote finallyme. Yeh 9lbs is OK go Carry on ur back isn't it peeps. Money's no object in this book.

Speaking about books and deserts, I read a fantastic book by Bruce Kirkby called "Sand Dance". A 40 day trek by camel across the Arabian Desert. http://brucekirkby.com/project/sand-dance-book/
    This guy has done some amazing adventures. Him and a friend became the first two people to hike the Canol Heritage Trail in the North West Territories without a food drop or help across three major rivers. 380km in 17 days. http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-Canol...s-Arpt-NT-2259 This is a link that if you scroll down you click another link to read chapter 8 of an unpublished book that describes some of the hike. Excellent read, I highly recommend it!
    Gary

Here is dramatic!

So they tied each other together with a short rope and stumbled aimlessly through the sand storm. As they trudged through the sand they tripped over a dying camel. The camel has been sick and was abandon by his owner and he was on his last breath.
    So they gutted the camel and crawled inside the carcass, ate camel meat, ate moist fat from the camels hump and stared at his toes all night!
    Last edited by Wildthang; 07-16-2015 at 04:55 PM.

Hummmmm....sound like a scene for a Star Wars....Luke and the Tauntaun....

Camels don't store water in their hump. They store fat.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=jdbushcraft;465610]Camels don't store water in their hump. They store fat.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

There I fixed it.......LOL

They stared at camel toes all night?........Bohahahahaha

staring at camel toes will get you every time.

You guys are sick.

Banned

Default Tent, tarp, sheet, canvas, or nothing above

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    A bed sheet can survive a sand storm if it is put up properly - think earth berm.
    I basically agree this may hold up for a night or two of strong winds if something does not blow up against it and rip it. But my experience is limited to a few weekends at Joshua Tree Nation Park, CA, and a few other high deserts (NV, AZ, NM, west TX bush). Basically a very low to the ground tent or worst case a tarp pined down all around with door/opening on leeward side. Pile sand/rocks etc. all around before the storm hits if possible (just assume winds will get stronger they almost always do at desert, coast and mountains). If you don't have sand pegs make bags with whatever fabric or buckets or deadman out of whatever sticks or gear you can spare or rocks you can get cordage around and bury. Assume wind will rip everything lose even if buried. Then wait it out if for hours or days. Eat food with out cooking don't suffocate yourself.

Once at Joshua Tree my mother was concerned that van would blow over even though it was parked up against some tall rocks and that tent would blow over. (Dad was up in Toronto, Canada on business so just 2 Moms and bunch of kids in desert). So since I have been young, grade school I have learned that strong winds are not something to fool with. But on a calm nights we just slept out in the open looking up at the stars, cools off fast that way but worth the view.

I set up a large Noah's tarp (16') at Panama City Beach, FL and dropped the poles down low to the ground before a storm hit. It held up but many of the EZups and other tarps and temporary shelters along the beach were torn to shreds. It is entertaining to watch tourists who don't know the first thing about shelters out in strong weather conditions. ;-) Had a similar experience at a camp grounds where Texas Colorado river meets the Gulf of Mexico. Storm with winds well over 40 mph came, the next morning the dumpster was full of busted up tents and most people had cleared out of the campgrounds, in the camper trailer section several had tipped over. I was fine in my low to the ground backpacker's tent with lots of tie down cords (guy lines).
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-17-2015 at 11:17 AM. Reason: low to ground backpacker tent in strong wind

Tipi holds up well in windy and high wind conditions....and storms in general...went through many, many times.....but you will get a bit wet.
    So make me think that maybe a small 3 pole tipi would stand up better than say a flat walled tent?

Very unique and useful topic , thanks for sharing