Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Desert survival

Default Desert survival

Hi guys, ok so I'm writing a novel and I need some survival advice. The main characters are in the desert and there's an sandstorm approaching, it's midday and its scorching. They are on foot and there's nothing around for miles. What would be
    the best most dramatic way to survive? They do have a tent I don't know if any can withstand a sandstorm and also a reflective blanket. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by Sarge47; 07-11-2015 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Removed imbedded link to web site.

Quote Originally Posted by maxibon View Post
    Hi guys, ok so I'm writing a novel and I need some survival advice. The main characters are in the desert and there's an sandstorm approaching, it's midday and its scorching. They are on foot and there's nothing around for miles. What would be
    the best most dramatic way to survive?
    They do have a tent I don't know if any can withstand a sandstorm and also a reflective blanket. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
    Find drinking water.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

They have drinking water plenty of it, they just need to ride out the storm that's all.

Blog Entries

Cool It's like this...

You just barged in here without any kind of an introduction. We have a site for new members to do that very thing. Then I found an outdoor gear website embedded in your 1st post. If you just came on here to "spam" this forum you won't be here long....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I didn't realise the word blanket couldn't be mentioned on this site. I just came on here for advice not to date anyone so why the need for an introduction? I know your some kind of administrator but you need to treat people with a bit of respect the power may have gone to your head.

Blog Entries

Cool It's like this...

I didn't realise the word blanket couldn't be mentioned on this site. I just came on here for advice not to date anyone so why the need for an introduction? I know your some kind of administrator but you need to treat people with a bit of respect the power may have gone to your head.
    1st, I'm sure you read the rules before you came on here. 2nd, you wouldn't just barge into somebody's home without knocking and start asking questions, would you? You talk about respect but would you respect somebody that would do that to you? Also most members don't respond to quick questions from Newbies that show up without an intro. 3rd, I gave you respect by notifying you of the problem and not banning you outright. However anymore smart aleck remarks towards me or any other mods on here could well result in that action....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Wow....have a little "tude" there, do we?......

Best advice would be to dig in....I would guess....but I thinking a super-duper, only available @********* sandstorm blanket may be the answer?......Ya Think?

BTW
    Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome....From Wisconsin.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Your premise is they are carrying lots of water. That's 8 pounds per gallon so are they hauling it in something? I'm not sure what you definition of "lots" is.

I can't think of a dramatic way to shelter out the storm. Once you see it, it's going to be on top of you in a short while so you won't have a lot of time to do anything. I'd tie each other together so no one would get lost in it, hunker down and ride it out. I'm not sure what else you could do given the information you've provided.

Thanks for the replies guys much appreciated. Are there any tents that can withstand the force of a sandstorm? Can the sand burn skin if you are out in it?

tic toc goes the clock
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Amazing!!!

An author who can google their way here but can not google what our troops were taught about desert survival during their 10 years war in the desert.

I always hate reading books written by authors that have no idea what they were talking about! It's like watching the freekin' History Channel!

Just goes to show that it is not what you know, but how much your editor does not know, that determines if you get published.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-11-2015 at 02:20 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

A lot of whether or not you and your gear will survive a sand storm will be (obviously) your preparedness and the length of the storm. Some sand storms have lasted for months at a time.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I think this one's going to last a couple of hours lol. Kyratahootee I'll send you a copy of my book see if you like it. I'm sure a lot of authors don't know the field they are writing about but it's the way they write the story.

Should we wait here....or you are gonna let us know when you done?

You are correct, good writers don't need to know everything about their subject.....but being believable helps.....Heck whole solar systems have been made up.....but details actually make them believable.

One of my favorites:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(film)

Pay special attention to the personnel water recycle system and other desert living methods.

Blog Entries

Cool Fyi...

Edger Rice Burroughs wrote the complete Tarzan series having never been to Africa. His description was anything but accurate however most of his reading audience had never been there either and accepted what he said. He also wrote the John Carter on Mars, obviously never been there either and made up the whole geography. Nobody questioned it. That being said I get the idea that you, on the other hand, are striving to be as accurate as possible. Have you sold your book yet, gotten an offer from a publisher, or are going to self-publish? My son has sold a book to a publisher, it's a "Zombie" novel. His research on everything but the zombies was incredible! He googled it and also interviewed many people online that had been to the area that he was using. Sandstorms are a common occurrence in desert areas that are made up of sand, some are not. Creek Stewart has used a non-sand desert in his "Fat Guys In The Woods" series this year on the weather channel. You might also try and email Cody Lundin in Arizona for data. If he's available he's really nice about sharing information. And don't forget Wikipedia! Just some food for thought...
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Sarge sorry about the earlier posts. It's kinda hard to explain the situation of the story. I need it to be relatively believable for example one of the characters suffers from asthma so we the rest need to erect a tent to keep him from the dust but then I'm
    faced with the dilemma of how big should the tent be to have 4 adults squeezed in there and what tent can resist a sandstorm. I think I might focus more on the interaction of the characters rather than the storm itself. Hopefully I will find a publisher, oh I love zombie books what is it called? Can I get hold of a copy somewhere? Will definitely check out the info you guys supplied. Thanks again.

A bed sheet can survive a sand storm if it is put up properly - think earth berm.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

So...Maxibon....Do you have an outline of your story....or just "winging it"?

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Thanks Sarge sorry about the earlier posts. It's kinda hard to explain the situation of the story. I need it to be relatively believable for example one of the characters suffers from asthma so we the rest need to erect a tent to keep him from the dust but then I'm
    faced with the dilemma of how big should the tent be to have 4 adults squeezed in there and what tent can resist a sandstorm. I think I might focus more on the interaction of the characters rather than the storm itself. Hopefully I will find a publisher, oh I love zombie books what is it called? Can I get hold of a copy somewhere? Will definitely check out the info you guys supplied. Thanks again.
    Sent you a pm with the book info. I like the "asthma" idea, giving the character that problem will make him seem real. Also instead of a tent is it possible to have them packing a large tarp? There's a lot more you can do with a tarp. However just about any tent can hold 4 people, unless it's a backpacking tent, and even then maybe. Actually having the 4 people needing to crowd into a smaller tent can create a nice conflict...maybe there's some discussion about the possibility of kicking the guy with asthma out.(sorry, just watched "Lifeboat" the other night.) What Crash said about a bed sheet is quite accurate, you might also check the internet and read up on what the Arabs use. Just google "Arab Desert Shelters," should prove interesting.....

Another thought, if you want to read a true story about a desert trek read "The Man Who Walked Through Time" by the late Colin Fletcher. He hiked the length of the Grand Canyon. Some good info there. Your library might have it or can get it on an "inter-library loan." I buy books like that from www.abebooks.com. You can get them pretty cheap, just keep scrolling down until you find one in really great shape.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 07-12-2015 at 10:43 PM.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin