Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help Foraging for food.

Default Need some help Foraging for food.

The forums are cool - I just had a thought after several seasons of experts starving their butts on TV - that foraging for food isn't discussed enough... Last week someone posted trot line... I bet its illegal and I don't care - but in a pinch I would add that to my kit. Pre-assembled.

I am looking for something beyond ramps and frog jigs. Just good posts about in a pinch say in the Appalachia region or the Smokies what would you do? Or what would you take with you?

No wrong answers. Just good conversation. GOOD THOUGHTS?
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Banned

In Texas and may others trot and limb lines etc. are legal and can be effective once you get some experience and use common sense and appropriate rigging follow regulations etc. Don't string a line completely across a stream or river, I cut those down quite often and will go out of my way to do so. Can also use similar gear to snare small game in true survival situation but in practice, i.e. camping this is usually illegal and very cruel. One reason I remove all trot and similar lines that I find that are not in compliance with State and local law.
    Consider swivels even if catfish are not intended fish, may catch some and all fish and turtles etc. twist line then it breaks, also easy to attach loop of line or clip to with short 6-18" to hook(s).
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-09-2015 at 10:55 PM.

Remembering that food is not that high on the requirement list, the one kit item I have are nets. They are illegal for game fish around here but if it were starve to death or eat then the nets would be used to seine with. Trot lines, bank lines and jugs are all legal here and I do have the components set aside for that. In fact, I just added a trot line to a survival kit this past week. Squirrels can be taken with any method in season around here. That lends itself to a lot of ways to gather protein. Snares are certainly a part of my kits and I have larger commercial snares for larger game like raccoon and possum.

In the short term food is a psychological boost rather than a physical requirement for life so our efforts are better spent on other items. If it were a large scale natural disaster rather then simply being lost in the woods I'd probably spend my time foraging canned goods.

Rick,
    Not meaning any disrespect or trying to be a pot stirrer but do you seriously expect there to be any canned goods left after the first 24 hours of a "large scale natural disaster" type scenario? I know this is a deep, deep hole but I am curious what your thoughts are. I agree 100% with your point about food not being high on "the list" for a short term incident. I also agree that a good net would be invaluable in a longer term situation, along with fish traps, throw lines, limb lines, jug lines, bank lines and trot lines.

Wise Old Owl,
    I like the idea of snares but have never actually felt very confident with them and they are not legal here in Oklahoma so I have never felt good about "practicing" much with real wire/cable snares. I am very confident with Conibears and Victor styles and have both leg traps and head traps on the place. Are you talking about foraging from your homeplace or are we refugees?

Depending on plants is highly local, and very seasonal.....
    ID plant,...
    What part is edible?
    When?
    How long?
    Taste?....might not kill ya be hard to eat.

Small game will be spotty as well, but traps, snares do work......just need a lot of them
    Fishing...by however method, if you have water....may be the best bet for protein....also turtles, crawfish.

Making the assumption that we are not dealing with season, and laws.
    (if we are...Then..Just get caught, go to jail, ...3 hot's and cot, and TV)

Foraging for canned goods ( for any commercial/home goods) means having to go where they are, and get them before some one else does....or want to keep.

Risk/reward......?

Better to have caches (several) in your area.

I think our experts are out of their element, didn't research, and had a inflated ego.......
    May do better after hitting bottom....then stay.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    Rick,
    Not meaning any disrespect or trying to be a pot stirrer but do you seriously expect there to be any canned goods left after the first 24 hours of a "large scale natural disaster" type scenario? I know this is a deep, deep hole but I am curious what your thoughts are. I agree 100% with your point about food not being high on "the list" for a short term incident. I also agree that a good net would be invaluable in a longer term situation, along with fish traps, throw lines, limb lines, jug lines, bank lines and trot lines.

Wise Old Owl,
    I like the idea of snares but have never actually felt very confident with them and they are not legal here in Oklahoma so I have never felt good about "practicing" much with real wire/cable snares. I am very confident with Conibears and Victor styles and have both leg traps and head traps on the place. Are you talking about foraging from your homeplace or are we refugees?
    I have lived through several natural disasters that lasted for more than 24 hours and never found a shortage of food as a primary concern.

If you are talking about Yellowstone blowing up or the sinking of Atlantis it might be a possible concern.

My own entry into preparing for emergencies was due to a tornado/flood incident that separated me from civilization for over a week, but that was in 1970, and I'm still here. I think I survived on bennie-weinies and canned chili.

As soon as the roads were cleared I was in town buying a Coleman stove and lantern. I have never been without a months' food in the pantry since then.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I wasn't thinking grocery store. I was thinking remains of buildings. If you've lived through a large scale tornado then you know stuff is scattered hither and yon including can goods. Just one example.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I have lived through several natural disasters that lasted for more than 24 hours and never found a shortage of food as a primary concern.

If you are talking about Yellowstone blowing up or the sinking of Atlantis it might be a possible concern.

My own entry into preparing for emergencies was due to a tornado/flood incident that separated me from civilization for over a week, but that was in 1970, and I'm still here. I think I survived on bennie-weinies and canned chili.

As soon as the roads were cleared I was in town buying a Coleman stove and lantern. I have never been without a months' food in the pantry since then.
    In the blizzard of 1978, there was a trucker stranded in his tractor trailer for 5 days and he survived on Vienna sausages, snow, and toothpaste !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

It wouldn't have been so bad if he delivered bacon or spam. That would have been like...well...heaven.

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post

I am looking for something beyond ramps and frog jigs. Just good posts about in a pinch say in the Appalachia region or the Smokies what would you do? Or what would you take with you?

No wrong answers. Just good conversation. GOOD THOUGHTS?
    do you have a phone with internet access ?
    get out in the woods and see what's in your area
    GOOGLE IMAGES is your friend for ID'ing wild edibles
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

Beer truck driver got stranded for a week....traffic jamb was only for a couple of hours....took that long to run out of beer?

The only foraging for canned goods I plan on doing is walking down the cellar stairs. If I have to bug out it'll be to a relatives house north of here or to a friends house to the south.

If Yellowstone blows up, yeah that could be a problem after a while. But if I get snowed in for 2 or 3 weeks, no problem. And right now that is highest on the list of probabilities. Not going out foraging at -20 and a foot of snow on the ground.

Gray squirrels can only be taken in December-February here. Same with rabbits. With a hunting license.
    Red squirrels and chipmunks are fair game any time. Never eaten either but catch chipmunks out in the garden using rat traps.
    Snares are illegal.
    So are trot lines and any other unattended fishing device.

As for foraging out in the 'wild' I have my yard planted with native edibles. Trouble is, you can't plant enough on an acre to be self-sufficient for even 2 people. At least not without a hellacious amount of work and especially when 1/4 of the yard is leach field. To think that you might be able to forage in the wild in a yellowstone like event, well it's you and everyone else out there. Grass and green leaves are all going to start looking mighty tasty. Just be sure you know which green leaves aren't going to kill you. There's Digitalis in my yard, in the flower bed because it is pretty when it flowers. Might not want to be stealing those leaves in the dark of night thinking they are lettuce...
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The thought of living on foraged foods in the southern Appellations is distressing.

Foraged wild food is the ultimate in seasonal eating and in winter everything is out of season for 6 months.

Even the Native Americans of the Archaic culture cultivated groves of forest plants and moved from one place to another to survive as new plants came into season, not able to depend on the scattered resources of the forest. The acorn harvest was a big deal and a good crop insured survival through the winter.

The Woodland culture went the whole 9 yards and turned to full scale agriculture.

In other words, an Indian could not even live on foraged wild plants!

It's a myth.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

The Native Americans were harvesting corn, squash and beans and storing them for winter long before the first settlers arrived.
    I've never understood the concept of trying to live off the land without some sort of planted crops.
    I get a kick out of people who buy Garden-in-a-can for emergencies. Do you have the half acre tilled, fertile, and ready to go? Sure, keep the cans as a backup as long as you can in case of a crop seed failure, but you should have a plan already in action if you plan to "live off the land."
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…

Quote Originally Posted by Lowkey
    Snares are illegal. So are trot lines and any other unattended fishing devices.

Seriously, you have to move to America.

You have to be "surviving".......not just playing.....and if you get caught.....problem solved....they feed you in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I wasn't thinking grocery store. I was thinking remains of buildings. If you've lived through a large scale tornado then you know stuff is scattered hither and yon including can goods. Just one example.
    I do a lot of termite inspections in basements. The general public doesn't store food anymore.

I was looking more for foraging beyond the homestead
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Rick, I wish. There are a lot of patriots spinning in their graves here in New England...
    And we're cut off completely from the rest of the country by NewYorkistan.

KYRat, your post made me do some research on Native Americans and the practice of growing crops. Even though I knew that the Indians the Pilgrims encountered grew the 3 Sisters, I never really pictured the northern tribes as farmers, living in the woodlands as they did, but they were. Even the nomadic Plains tribes planted crops, coming back later in the year to harvest, and they traded for corn and other crops with those that grew them in more settled tribes. Thanks for the insight. It was a large missing piece to puzzle I've been trying to complete.

Quote Originally Posted by WOO
    The general public doesn't store food anymore.

Of course they do. It's called their kitchen. In any large scale disaster most folks would die from bad water or lack of water long before they starve to death. Look at how many die in refugee camps from cholera. I think you are looking at too narrow a definition of foraging. Staying alive is about understanding the natural progression and limitations of human requirements and seeing the possibilities in those limitations. While I can make pine cambium edible I'm not going to pass up a can of beans if it presents itself.

I Get into HUD and working poor, as well as the Mc Mansions as we call them. A good 75% is calls for Ants after they have given it a try. 1-say about twenty calls I see a Can filled larder, with respect for the poor lots of cereal boxes and a filled refrigerator. Twice in six years, I saw active Bell Jar canning. These are just observations... I would say at best most people would make a week or two.

Anyway back to the fields and edible pine cambium & Pine Nuts

Theodore Roosevelt 1907