Thread: The "Speedy Sharp!"

Blog Entries

Cool The "Speedy Sharp!"

Saw this on Creek Stewart's website. He claimed that one of his guys in season 2 put a shaving edge on his knife in about 20 seconds so I ordered one. Got it today and now all my kitchen knives are extremely sharp. It didn't take very long either, maybe 20-30 seconds each:

http://www.speedysharp.com/

Last edited by Sarge47; 07-07-2015 at 01:24 PM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Looks like those carbide sharpeners that they sell for pruning tools.
    I watched the video, it appears to remove a good bit of metal.

What's your thoughts Sarge?
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt View Post
    Looks like those carbide sharpeners that they sell for pruning tools.
    I watched the video, it appears to remove a good bit of metal.

What's your thoughts Sarge?
    I like it! I'm going to order several more in the near future and stick them everywhere. Yes, they do "peel the steel" as advertised, however my own attempts with a sharpening stone doesn't always give me the edge that I want. I used to work for True Value Hardware and was involved with the knife sharpening station. We used a sanding belt and guides for both scissors and knife blades. It worked great so I'm a believer in getting the edge that I want. Once I got an edge on my knifes I know that in the future it will only require a small bit of 'touch-up."....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Sarge, what kinda price does it carry? I'm the worlds worse knife sharpener. Bet I've got a couple thousand ( or more) dollars worth of sharpeners that I couldn't use gathering dust in boxes in my garage.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    Sarge, what kinda price does it carry? I'm the worlds worse knife sharpener. Bet I've got a couple thousand ( or more) dollars worth of sharpeners that I couldn't use gathering dust in boxes in my garage.
    About 10 bucks, Creek carries them on his Willow Haven web site. I really like mine but you have to watch the video to learn the proper way of using it....
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    So do I....LOL...but mine are either "deployed" or on the "survival shelf" in the basement

Mostly use this type....had two carbide edges....in the "V"

https://www.etundra.com/kitchen-supp...FQmNaQodcdsLHA
    Last edited by hunter63; 07-07-2015 at 07:53 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Oh, sure; nobody took them seriously back when I was singing their praises here.

They certainly have a few downsides but my kit has felt incomplete since I lost my last one. This reminds me to put one back on the shopping list.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Blog Entries

It peels steel!! It would not be a good match for me. I saw the steel in his demo come off so that's too much for me. It would really wear a knife out quickly but as an striker for a ferro rod I bet it would be awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Its the bits between birth and death that define a life well lived.

just saw one of these or one like it at lowes for $5.

I see them at all the outdoor stores. Maybe I will pick one up and try it out. I don't think it will sharpen a Mora that easily, at least not without putting a second bevel on it.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    I see them at all the outdoor stores. Maybe I will pick one up and try it out. I don't think it will sharpen a Mora that easily, at least not without putting a second bevel on it.
    I tried one (the pruning tool sharpeners available at both of the big box hardware stores) on an old beater knife. It removed a lot of steel from the edge without actually sharpening it. I have used it on a shovel, hoe and machete and they were OK for that.
    And, they make excellent ferro rod strikers.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Banned

For a cheap knife is would be small and easy to take with you, but painful to see someone use it on a high end knife.

Does anyone know of a really good demo video of a Scandinavian grind for a knife. There are many on youtube. Not fun sorting thru all the blah blah blah.

This a carbide sharpener. It is also the most awesome striker for my ferro rods. Picked up several at Lowes for $3.47. Corona sells them for about $20 but the local Ace is trying to get them for about $10. There is a YT video on using it for a striker.

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    For a cheap knife is would be small and easy to take with you, but painful to see someone use it on a high end knife.

Does anyone know of a really good demo video of a Scandinavian grind for a knife. There are many on youtube. Not fun sorting thru all the blah blah blah.

Ray Mears comes to mind.

I don't use Japenese Water stones. I do use american stones, but I also use ceramic. I like the ceramic because it doesn't lose it's flatness. I plan to buy some diamond stones in "course".since they tend to not lose flatness as well.

Banned

Default Ray Mears has best advice even if over the top, high $$$

Thanks finallyME that is the best video I have been able to find. It is what I would consider a Scandi grind because is primary bevel not creating a secondary one as most quick sharpeners do, but I am not an expert on that. One of better sharpeners for on the go (portable) that I have heard of is from "work sharp". But like you I want a big wide water stone if I can sharpen at home. Need to read up on ceramic. Had always considered multiple diamond fine grades the best option available, just don't over do it. In most wilderness areas there is some form of flat stone that will work just not as easy and often to coarse, need to rub stones to gather to create the proper surface first. PITA, most pioneer or wilderness living is just major hard work, no rest for weary bones, but a sharp blade makes work easier.

I will order one, but because I have never used a sharpening tool like this, I will be skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    Thanks finallyME that is the best video I have been able to find. It is what I would consider a Scandi grind because is primary bevel not creating a secondary one as most quick sharpeners do, but I am not an expert on that. One of better sharpeners for on the go (portable) that I have heard of is from "work sharp". But like you I want a big wide water stone if I can sharpen at home. Need to read up on ceramic. Had always considered multiple diamond fine grades the best option available, just don't over do it. In most wilderness areas there is some form of flat stone that will work just not as easy and often to coarse, need to rub stones to gather to create the proper surface first. PITA, most pioneer or wilderness living is just major hard work, no rest for weary bones, but a sharp blade makes work easier.
    His video is very helpful, even though he uses some $$$ stones. I have used the video for technique more than anything, with normal Arkansas stones. I have a bunch of ceramic stones that I acquired from work. They aren't "sharpening" ceramic stones, just chunks of Alumina or Zerconia. But they are supper fine grit and dead flat. I use my Arkansas stones to get close, then finish with my ceramics. I have a few small pieces of flat ceramic that I put in my kit to always carry with me. I do want to get away from the natural stones and buy some course diamond stones. The problem with natural stone is that it goes out of flat. That isn't a problem if you are sharpening a secondary bevel, but not a scandi. Yes, you can re-flatten them, but I would rather not have to.
    One product I have been looking at is the Fallkniven DC3 or DC4. http://www.amazon.com/Fallkniven-DC3...amic+sharpener
    It is small with a course diamond side and a fine ceramic side. Here is another great Mears video showing how he uses it. He is sharpening a secondary bevel....but you can apply his other video with a scandi to get the right technique.

Incidentally, here is a longer video that combines the two I just posted, with knife safety stuff.