Thread: Packaged Insects, Scorpions and Other Delights

Default Packaged Insects, Scorpions and Other Delights

There is apparently a company that sells packaged insects, scorpions and other items for snacks and trail food; the company is based in Thailand but apparently has retail outlets in the USA. If you want to train your palate for TV survival shows or if you need a substitute for "gorp", this may be the place. I have not tried these myself, but maybe some day.

Thailand Unique Company claims to ship all over the world. www.thailandunique.com They have bulk dehydrated and freeze dried insects for the survival cache.
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 07-06-2015 at 02:00 AM. Reason: add information

I've had freeze dried crickets and meal worms. They don't have a lot of flavor, actually; they're sort of nutty, but whatever flavoring is added is what you taste.

Freeze dried arthropods are also a good deterrent before people get ... desperate, so to speak.

I eat bugs... (Forgot to bite the head off this one.)

013-16_zpsc0eeffbc.jpg

014-18_zpscc34896d.jpg

Disclaimer. You really should cook insects before consuming.

The last insect I killed had a 6" roundworm living in it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Y'all can have mine......
    Now if they were offered in a saloon....on the bar as a "I dare ya" dish....maybe a lot of people may try them.

Took several beers to eat pickled turtle eggs.....looked like green ping pong balls with a flat spot.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Just ride motorcycles......you soon get used to eating bugs.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Just ride motorcycles......you soon get used to eating bugs.

Yup! Bugs up your nose
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Y'all can have mine......
    Now if they were offered in a saloon....on the bar as a "I dare ya" dish....maybe a lot of people may try them.

Took several beers to eat pickled turtle eggs.....looked like green ping pong balls with a flat spot.
    I have never eaten turtle eggs or turtle meat or any kind of insect - at least not yet. However, I have to repeat my belief that food preferences and food taboos are almost entirely cultural. If you think about it, lobsters are really no different than marine cockroaches - both are arthropods and indiscriminate scavengers. I have never eaten dog or snake, but some cultures think they are fine.

One good bar food I know well is Samoan "oka". It is small pieces of tuna or other quality fish that has been marinated in lime juice and coconut cream, often served with tomatoes, cucumbers and onions. You can also eat chips made from breadfruit fried in cooking oil. Both are really good with Vailima or Steinlager beer.

In honesty, there aren't many things I wouldn't eat and enjoy trying new food items. However, balut and eyeballs are definitely on the do not munch list. And I'm not all that happy with meals that have faces staring back at me but I can get past that. I eat dinosaur simply as a preemptive strike. Get them before they get me kind of thing.

"Wild" things taste different. I can get by taste (Within reason. Rottin' is rottin'.). Texture throws me sometimes. Cooking not only helps the taste but also crispy is much better than the pop and squish of a raw grub or an eyeball. Fatty and oily really challenges me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I just threw up in my mouth a little.
    Yes, some foods that are eaten in different parts of the world can be a bit vile or revolting. For example I recently read about a group of indigenous, ethnic people who are known to consume the following (EEEEEWWWW):

processed cheese on soft white bread
    sugary marshmallows enclosed in lime-favored gelatin
    sweet custard inside a covering of synthetic preservatives
    codfish treated with sodium hydroxide or lye
    pure sugar given artificial colors and flavorings
    processed white flour shaped like an inner tube and fried in saturated fat

Strange diet, I know. Yet, I have read that a North American tribal group that lives east of the Pacific and west of the Atlantic, between Canada and Mexico, actually consumes these items and celebrates them in their culture. Go Figure.

The name of the tribe is the Nacirema (try spelling it backwards)
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 07-10-2015 at 07:55 PM.

Nothing wrong with that to me. I live on the two basic food groups...sweets and preservatives.

I took a wilderness skills course from a gentleman who lived in a teepee for a coupla years. He harvested a road kill deer and just to see how long he could take it, fed on that carcass as it...uh...went downhill. Man, I could not even come close to choking down something that I cut off a decomposing carcass. Bugs don't seem too bad after hearing stories like that.

And I have no doubt that he was not embellishing.

These termites were actually not bad at all. Just a lot of tedious lickin' to get much.

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps9knt9swm.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    I took a wilderness skills course from a gentleman who lived in a teepee for a coupla years. He harvested a road kill deer and just to see how long he could take it, fed on that carcass as it...uh...went downhill. Man, I could not even come close to choking down something that I cut off a decomposing carcass. Bugs don't seem too bad after hearing stories like that.

And I have no doubt that he was not embellishing.

These termites were actually not bad at all. Just a lot of tedious lickin' to get much.

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps9knt9swm.jpg
    Sometimes maggots are the only source of fats in a survival situation. Fat is of the toughest things to come by out in the wild. Protein can be had from small game, carbs from various berry/ plants but Fat is tricky, usually only found on bigger game / harder to catch animals.

Allowing strips of meat (protein) to rot out in the open and then harvesting maggots is one sure fire way to get fat. Many grubs convert food stuffs into fat since it is the best form of fuel for when they have to grow/ metamorphose.

not palatable (mentally anyways) but catching 10 rabbits and going to bed with a full belly means nothing if you end up dying from rabbit starvation.

Side note: many insects carry parasites so always rip out the head along with the guts whenever possible and then cook.