Thread: Hunting for the handicapted.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Default Hunting for the handicapted.

As I approach my 75th birthday, I am becoming increasingly handicapted due to a balance problem, which severely limits my ability to walk through the woods and fields. I am pretty much limited to sitting in a blind on the ground. I had a craving for some wild boar sausage, so I looked for a game ranch that could cope with my limitations. I found it in the Double Boar Ranch in Shippenville, Penna. This game ranch is located about 5 miles north of Exit 60 on Interstate 80 and happens to be only a 45 min drive from my sisters house. The Ranch offers exotic game as well as native species but I was focused a meat pig that I could turn into sausage. The owner, Buster Snyder, worked with me to set up a hunt from a blind. June isn't the best time for a pig hunt but I go when I can go. Buster offered me a good price, as I wasn't looking for a trophy Boar, just a pig about 150# for sausage.
    The guide helped me walk the several hundred yards to a blind on a bluff over looking a water course that was covered with pig tracks. It was a Shaddow commercial blind and very nice. The day was in the high 60S/low 70S and the pigs were not moving around. After a couple hours, the guide said he knew where the pigs were likely laying up and went to roust them out. From the blind, I had a shooting lane out front across the water course about 150 yards long and much shorter and steeper shots to my left and right. When the (5) pigs first crossed the long shooting lane I was distracted and they crossed before I could get the rifle out the shooting window. Fortunatly, as soon as they crossed the opening, they stopped in the edge of the trees and milled around. I could catch glimpses of them but had no shot. The pigs obviously wanted to go back the way they had come from, so I had my rifle aimed out at the shooting lane. As the pigs started back across the shooting lane, led by a big Russian Boar that I did NOT want, a perfect sow walked out at about 125 yards and paused long enough for me to get the cross hairs aligned and take the shot.
    I was shooting the new Winchester Razorback XT 150 gr protected HP in .308 and she dropped in her tracts. I can highly recommend that loading for pigs.
    The guide came and got me from the blind with a Polaris Range and then took a tractor with a front bucket and retrieved the pig.
    The sow weighed 140# before gutting and skinning. At the butcher shop, I told the butcher to add pork belly because there was so little fat on the carcass (something that I have found with spring/summer pigs). I wound up with 87# of breakfast sausage, which is delicious! I plan to hunt there again!.

Good for you. We do what we can given our limitations. You've faced them head on and done a brilliant job of it! By the way, I'm sure some of that sausage is on the way for me to test. I am the Minister of Science after all.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

You will have to get in line and it is a long one. I gave half of the sausage to my daughter and her family. My three grand daughters craving for sausage gravy over biskets and eggs , knows no bounds!

This is most disappointing. I will consider it a lapse in memory brought on by age. I'm sure your daughter will understand once you explain it to her. Priority mail would be best.

Outstanding!!!!!!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have some friends who put Grandpa, about 85 years old, on a quad on opening day. They have a blind set up that he drives into and just sits on the quad and does his shooting.

After he gets his shot he calls one of the kids on his cell phone and they come over from their blinds and haul the deer to the house.

I'm one to talk! I have shot several deer from the back porch over the years! Actually sat on one of the porch chairs an got one with a bow one year when I lived in town.

You take them where you can get them, dear, boar or turkey.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Old Pro...congrats on the score.
    After meeting my future wife.....some 47+ years ago...and her father...My FIL...a paraplegic WWII vet...stated hunting with them and got use to having an experienced but slowed downed member of our hunting party.

If you want to hunt....you will find a way.....as you found out....and most people understand.

Thanks for the successful report.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27