Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: "Alone."

what i would do reguarding the critters is this i'd make the wolves my pet dogs , the bears pets or pelts that's up to them
    and the cats same same yeah thats the ticket.

Good luck with that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool What do you think?

Is this guy telling the truth or just making excuses?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy5GcbM8A6M
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Nether,

He's making money, and planning on making more.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

No such thing as bad publicity........Beats showing up at the office.

It's still a TV show......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Why isn't a filter allowed? As I understand it they can take anything they can pack in a small bag.
    Where did you hear that? Nobody from the show has said that on any of the threads I've read. They were allowed to choose 10 items from a list. They had to buy the items and have them approved. Same with their clothing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Heard it on here. Twice. That's why I asked. You kinda have to read the whole thread thingy to get the context. Or not.

Blog Entries

Cool The list?

Quote Originally Posted by jdbushcraft View Post
    Where did you hear that? Nobody from the show has said that on any of the threads I've read. They were allowed to choose 10 items from a list. They had to buy the items and have them approved. Same with their clothing.

Is there a copy of this "master list" that they were allowed to choose from anywhere? I'll double check this later but my wife was reading some status' on facebook from one of the ones that tapped out who said that they were not allowed to have a water filter. I'll do some research on that but would really like to see that "list."...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool No water filters allowed!

Chris Weatherman, who tapped out in the show, has a Facebook site under the title "Angery American,"(yes, Angery is spelled that way." He has stated that they were NOT allowed water filters or just about any technology except for a small headlamp. He did use his camera tarp as a rain catch however and said it worked really well!

He also said that History Channel won't post the master list despite his requests for it...
    Last edited by Sarge47; 07-12-2015 at 11:33 AM.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Why isn't a filter allowed? As I understand it they can take anything they can pack in a small bag.
    They were given a list of 40 items to choose from but at this point in time, the history channel will not let them post the list

From the looks of things the list probably consisted of items the early pioneers or mountain men would have had, except for the poly tarps and ferro rods. But they would have had cotton tarps and flint/steel to make fires

On a side note, when I multi quote, I have everything I quoted in the past month or so, pop into the post, whats going on with that? Is it a new bug in the system??

+1 So let me get this straight. I haven't see the video. Doesn't the knife have enough carbon to get a spark?
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

They're all getting sparks. Some are doing better than others and making dry tinder and kindling.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yep, I'm sitting here watching the reruns and repeating the misery.

Ought to have their man-cards taken away and their Sportsman's Guide Buyers Club membership canceled!

I'm sure there will be a high-light (or low lights)....so I'll wait for that.

Seems to me this is set up to fail...or so it won't go on too long.....like "Alone #1- 21 years in the making......"

So y'all keep me posted.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

so season 2 is already filled I am on the list for season 3
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

that's fine gives me more time to study the show and perfect my skills
    Last edited by wareagle69; 07-13-2015 at 06:15 AM.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Work real hard on the not crying in front of the camera skill, please!

Banned

My guess about water filters is that the show producers really wanted the contestants to rely on building fires to boil water. Possible that there are pathogens that most water filters do not filter out there but I doubt that. Mitch's creation and use of "char" fiber with shavings from cedar and tin was very good. His skills are the most impressive IMO. I hope he holds it together psychologically, as many of y'all have noted is the most difficult aspect. Even staying in a fully furnished cabin alone with no end in sight is difficult for most people. My best guess about Joe is that he was trying to promote his online business by going on this show. If he had made some char fiber and dried out a bow drill, spindle and board a better skilled person may have survived without a fire steel (native First Nations People did for 1000+ years), obviously put it in a safe place after each use as well, same thing with your blade and firearm (if you have those). Mitch had dry bag backpack, so I assume they all could have had one if they wanted, I have several of these, canyon bags and one small one from Columbia that fits all my sleeping gear, small tarp plus fire-starting. Can attach to MOLLE (PALS) straps of regular assault pack as well.

NEVER NEVER just set something valuable down, OMG your father should have taught and drilled that into your head when you were 5 or at least by the time you were 10 years old. If you had not learned by age 15 he should have just left you with great grandmother at the nursing home when the rest of the family went on wilderness camping trips. Just my personal opinion. Joe is not the the only fool that has sloppy habits, I have had the un-pleasure of camping with some others (even ex-military) who were worse, and left gear including cameras, PFDs, blades etc. behind and forgot to do gear checks and ground sweeps etc. OMG I hate camping with people like that!
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-13-2015 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    +1 So let me get this straight. I haven't see the video. Doesn't the knife have enough carbon to get a spark?
    You don't need any carbon unless you are striking quartz or flint. Ferro rods can produce good sparks with glass.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jdbushcraft View Post
    You don't need any carbon unless you are striking quartz or flint. Ferro rods can produce good sparks with glass.
    Some people prefer to attach to the rod a steel washer or similar bit of hack saw blade (multi-use) to scrape Ferrocerium or magnesium bar with so they don't damage the coating on their knife but if you are near a sea coast glass bottles are fairly easy to find. In an area with 12+ feet of rain per year and beginning of rainy season I may have chosen a SS blade and carbon steel scraper for ferro rod, but NOT solid Titanium diver's blade, absolutely zero sparks from that.