Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Alone."

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

I'm watching this also

interesting to see how they solve basic problems and wonder how I would do things differently

also watching " Alaskan Bush People "
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I used to work with guys that would not work overtime because they had to pay more taxes. Well, yeah, that's sort of how it works. It was a bonanza for me though. I got all the overtime I wanted and then some.
    I was in the same boat and it took a while to figure out the breaking point. What I mean is, if I worked "X" hrs OT, I was good to go. If I worked too many hours I ended up working for free. I remember my ex getting so excited about a promotion/raise she got, then she got her first check and it was ~$10 less than she was earning before the raise. Turns out the raise put her a few dollars into a new tax bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Sarge, there's no flint around here. I've never seen someone make a bowdrill fire here without drying the wood first. I'm talking about drying it in a dry place, not setting it out of the rain in a lean-to. The air is very wet.

What pines? It's hemlock, spruce, red and yellow cedar as the coniferous trees and alder with the occasional willow as deciduous. You can find crabapple in old settlement/logging/fishing camps.

One of you fellas should come up to visit and see. We are having the driest yr ever, so you may do well.
    I was thinking the same thing.

If you go to discover channel and search for their 10 items, its very interesting. Plus they had to choose their items from a list of 40. I didn't find the list of 40 yet.

From watching the show and comparing to the written list on the site, I see that everyone brought their own items from the list, they were not supplied by the discovery channel. I've noticed different cooking pots, all in well used condition and a coffee pot. All of the ferro rods dont look alike but its hard to tell. Tarps, saws, axes, knives, canvas are all different from man to man.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    If you go to discover channel and search for their 10 items, its very interesting. Plus they had to choose their items from a list of 40. I didn't find the list of 40 yet.

From watching the show and comparing to the written list on the site, I see that everyone brought their own items from the list, they were not supplied by the discovery channel. I've noticed different cooking pots, all in well used condition and a coffee pot. All of the ferro rods dont look alike but its hard to tell. Tarps, saws, axes, knives, canvas are all different from man to man.
    History Channel not Discover

http://www.history.com/shows/alone/cast

I agree with winter use whatever sunlight there is to dry out tinder then cover with tarp, when it gets super humid, i.e. rain and as sun goes down. I don't know the region well but should be some juniper, mushrooms moss or something that is flammable when dried out. 12 feet of rain per year is about what I had growing up, keeping wood and tinder dry was a constant issue.

By second episode they all seemed to be making fires with fire-steels but if they looked for horse hoof (Fomes fomentarius) mushrooms they could probably find as well as other tinder (except the one fool who did not tie to neck or put in pocket after use):

http://forestrydev.org/diseases/CTD/.../heart3_e.html

Rocky Mountain Juniper grows mostly on the Eastern side Vancouver Island may not be any on far northern section. But here on left side is a partial list of trees in B.C. several pines none of which may grow in this area. But the feather sticks of whatever wood they found seemed to work, drying it out and keeping it dry is critical regardless of the species of wood.

http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure.../rmjuniper.htm

Were the men given any hint as to which region they were going to? Why 10 men and not a single woman? My parent's organization had more success with single women in very remote areas than men, they do better psychologically and the physical stuff is mostly technique not brut strength. Things that make me wonder about these TV shows. I know a few women who would do fairly well out there. One out of 100,000 perhaps, obviously more men think they can but most men are full of nonsense, in my experience. I hear them say a lot of blah blah, then once we get in wilderness they fall apart, get injured and beg for extraction. Some people should just stick to car camping and use large caliber firearms like it was a pacifier or security blanket. Insecure babies IMO.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-04-2015 at 01:38 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool How about....

Sarge, there's no flint around here. I've never seen someone make a bowdrill fire here without drying the wood first. I'm talking about drying it in a dry place, not setting it out of the rain in a lean-to. The air is very wet.
    Couldn't the needed wood be dried by the fire he'd already started? Also, according to the list, looks they all had a good amount of 550 cord; perhaps make a lanyard to hang the fire steel on and keep it around his neck so he wouldn't lose it? I think he was missing his family and just wanted out of there....

What pines? It's hemlock, spruce, red and yellow cedar as the coniferous trees and alder with the occasional willow as deciduous. You can find crabapple in old settlement/logging/fishing camps.
    there's old camps? Do they know this?...

One of you fellas should come up to visit and see. We are having the driest yr ever, so you may do well.
    Only if you're there Kevin. I'd need to be with somebody who's experienced the area....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned

I agree there are definitely some very old abandoned logging camps in that area. From the crude map they showed the general area Mitch was in (I did not zoom in with satellite Google, correction when back and tried but could not find the exact location) it seemed like a good area. This is NOT original growth forest like the Hoh NW Washington or a few places in Olympic National Forest if any most of that has been logged as well. Most fishing camps would be on eastern side of Island not this far northern side, but the somewhat protected inlet where Mitch was set down might be a better chance, even an old settlement. However I did not get a good look at it and have never been that far north on Vancouver Island myself. Further south and east has great fishing and hunting, but that northern tip is rough. But IMO a firearm for black bears, puma and wolves not essential, also fire-steel without lamp oil or other accelerant is a PITA but doable. Rubbing sticks major PITA, lose/break your fire-steel you had better be an master of bow or pack it in.

BTW there are very few places on this Earth that have not been logged and therefore you can find the remains of logging camps and other settlements everywhere especially in forests, but even in very dry places and remote wilderness areas. Miners have been there or the indigenous people or the wildlife carries in invasive non-native species of plants, fungus etc some of which is useful for starting fires, food and shelter etc. Helps to be an expert on a region, but the more you have time in the wilderness in general and multiple regions the more you know what to look for may be a different species or variety but same genius or similar species in another region that you used before, i.e. same basic skills.

That very large Island has Sitka spruce (good for firewood if you can find it and are allowed to use it, can split it.), also plenty of Douglas Fur, but Western white pine (Pinus monticola) all but the far North Western tip of Island so they may not have any of that. No Oak as far as I know so folks from south would be wasting their time looking for that, but some micro climates around capital of Victoria were one of my cousins lives you can grow some citrus trees with a bit of care, warmest place in Canada, why he lives there. Other cousin just moves to AZ in winter because he can.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-04-2015 at 07:00 PM. Reason: tried to find with Google maps

Banned

Default wrong about Wayne, 500 pound raccoon frightened him

Watched 3rd Episode online (History.com) and I was wrong about Wayne evidently he sees a back bear (500 pound raccoon relative basically) down the trail 20 feet/yards and it terrified him, then he begs for extraction in the middle of the night. So they drive in on a LOGGING ROAD, (yes this area has a lot of logging!! no surprise there) and the crew hikes for a few hours to get to him risking a puma attack (not that likely actually with all the noise and lights). Joe I can only imagine searched the beach carefully for his fire-steel before wasting time videoing himself looking for it or the extraction team video recorded him looking for it in all the wrong places just for viewer drama, OMG. What a fool. Put it in zipper pocket or tie around neck or in kit pocket of knife sheath or something, process and procedure, this should be practiced not haphazard.

I took simple little History channel quiz online it said I was most like Alan, he does eat almost anything that will not harm a person much like me and is adaptable. I cannot figure out his psychology, he seemed to make a big production out of banana slug, but whatever it is a TV show, might as well I guess. None have been shown attempting to catch crab. Wayne did not attempt to use dead sea bird on cord to catch crab (don't need a cage/trap or net just meat on end of cord and speed, gloves or bucket/basket helps, they can cut you up). Burn or bury in the ground all potential food for bears and other scavengers and predators or they will hang around your area. Bears in that region normally have a lot of food: fish, berries, fruit etc but unusually dry weather makes them more aggressive than normal so I would be very cautious.

Alan may be close to top of my list of those who may win. But intro did not tell if any of these men had any experience camping in areas with aggressive scavangers or large predators. Do most people practice "bushcraft" and "primitive camping" and so called "survival skills" in their suburban backyards and state parks or someplace with only small raccoons and skunks or what??? I grew up with jaguar and puma, often walked in jungle alone with only a machete or just a .410 shotgun and just a flash light at night to go pee/poop. Heard them roar/scream all night long quite often. No worries. Some of these guys piss themselves over a black bear trying to steal some scraps of food? Whatever. Finally on the Sabine and Neches rivers of East Texas there are a very few black bear and puma but mostly I see signs of them and hear them in mountain areas of AR and out far west, a lot in Jasper National Park, Canada. Will be more interesting when fools are gone and folks with actual survival/wilderness experience remain. And they learn to operate video equipment which I admit is a PITA and takes time away from important activities, also lens fog up in high humidity (or at least my poor quality gear).

BTW is/was this site somewhere between Winter Harbour and Port Alice? Quatsino Provincial Park?
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-05-2015 at 10:27 AM.

Blog Entries

Cool Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    Watched 3rd Episode online (History.com) and I was wrong about Wayne evidently he sees a back bear (500 pound raccoon relative basically) down the trail 20 feet/yards and it terrified him, then he begs for extraction in the middle of the night. So they drive in on a LOGGING ROAD, (yes this area has a lot of logging!! no surprise there) and the crew hikes for a few hours to get to him risking a puma attack (not that likely actually with all the noise and lights). Joe I can only imagine searched the beach carefully for his fire-steel before wasting time videoing himself looking for it or the extraction team video recorded him looking for it in all the wrong places just for viewer drama, OMG. What a fool. Put it in zipper pocket or tie around neck or in kit pocket of knife sheath or something, process and procedure, this should be practiced not haphazard.

I took simple little History channel quiz online it said I was most like Alan, he does eat almost anything that will not harm a person much like me and is adaptable. I cannot figure out his psychology, he seemed to make a big production out of banana slug, but whatever it is a TV show, might as well I guess. None have been shown attempting to catch crab. Wayne did not attempt to use dead sea bird on cord to catch crab (don't need a cage/trap or net just meat on end of cord and speed, gloves or bucket/basket helps, they can cut you up). Burn or bury in the ground all potential food for bears and other scavengers and predators or they will hang around your area. Bears in that region normally have a lot of food: fish, berries, fruit etc but unusually dry weather makes them more aggressive than normal so I would be very cautious.

Alan may be close to top of my list of those who may win. But intro did not tell if any of these men had any experience camping in areas with aggressive scavangers or large predators. Do most people practice "bushcraft" and "primitive camping" and so called "survival skills" in their suburban backyards and state parks or someplace with only small raccoons and skunks or what??? I grew up with jaguar and puma, often walked in jungle alone with only a machete or just a .410 shotgun and just a flash light at night to go pee/poop. Heard them roar/scream all night long quite often. No worries. Some of these guys piss themselves over a black bear trying to steal some scraps of food? Whatever. Finally on the Sabine and Neches rivers of East Texas there are a very few black bear and puma but mostly I see signs of them and hear them in mountain areas of AR and out far west, a lot in Jasper National Park, Canada. Will be more interesting when fools are gone and folks with actual survival/wilderness experience remain. And they learn to operate video equipment which I admit is a PITA and takes time away from important activities, also lens fog up in high humidity (or at least my poor quality gear).

BTW is/was this site somewhere between Winter Harbour and Port Alice? Quatsino Provincial Park?
    I agree with your assessment. I figure Sam will be leaving soon, he's had this phoney "positive attitude" thing going on since he got there. Doesn't appear to be taking it seriously. Is Al the guy from Georgia? He may stay on longer as well. Yeah, the dead bird was perfect bait and the guy threw it away...ya gotta be kidding me! Remember, all these guys are considered "survival experts!"....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    I agree with your assessment. I figure Sam will be leaving soon, he's had this phoney "positive attitude" thing going on since he got there. Doesn't appear to be taking it seriously. Is Al the guy from Georgia? He may stay on longer as well. Yeah, the dead bird was perfect bait and the guy threw it away...ya gotta be kidding me! Remember, all these guys are considered "survival experts!"....
    Hey Sarge, they're looking for people for season 2, sign up and show everybody how its done.

Hi Guys!
    I've just joined, and I found this interesting thread, so thought I'd 'chip-in' ...I'm - amazed - that not even a week in has weeded-out these, "Survival Experts" (?) And some of the unbelievable things these 'experts' are doing in terms of day-to-day activities just beggars belief. Two of them have their own You Tube channels, and one of them already quit, after losing his ferro rod....! It's definitely purely for entertainment value, and I wouldn't expect any of them to last more than 3 weeks there. I'd be genuinely surprised if that actually happened.

Banned

Default my observations, please correct if I am wrong

Yes Sarge47 I agree, I spent/wasted some time picking thru video clips and Google (might save others time). Saw that boats, planes, helicopters left Coal Harbour, so they may be very close there on San Josef Bay between Coal H. and Holberg or closer to main coast on way to Winter Harbour but I doubt it. Used boat from Bear Cove Cottages out of Port Hardy but these type of outfitters typically have outposts/bases in many different locations or trailer boats to ports (publicity is worth it). Even a tiny kayak instructor/outfitter I help out with does.

Very difficult to tell who will be winner, but Alan Kay from Georgia has much going for him if he does not get injured or lose it mentally. Sam 22 is just to young, but with some experience he could do well. Prime age with experience IMO is between 30-60 years if healthy. Women have more endurance than strength generally but I know some who have more strength and endurance than me. Major disadvantage for some women (not all) may be time of month when difficult to control "flow" which could attract predators but there are ways to reduce this disadvantage. But many other people cut them selves and allow blood to drip all over the place which is just as bad, Clean it up and burn it!

I might take the challenge, but not easy to make a good video resume, and wife and kids would not be happy about it. IMO at 50 still not too old but I did notice all were under 50. Less than 10% of each day would be enjoyable, but same with most jobs. At least no venomous snakes as far as I know, just wet and cold 24/7, that gets very old fast. If you had ever booked a guided Elk hunt on Vancouver Island and History Channel found out they would probably disqualify you. So that is a bummer. Also if they found out I had been to place where next show is produced they would disqualify me, i.e. they want "experts" with big holes in resume.
    Alan's gear:
    1. Saw
    2. Axe
    3. Sleeping bag
    4. Large 2-quart pot
    5. Ferro rod
    6. Water bottle/canteen metal!!!! I think!
    7. 300 yards single filament line with 25 assorted hooks
    8. Small gauge gill net
    9. 3.5lb wire for snares and shelter etc etc.
    10. Knife

I would have cheated and put small ferro rod with drilled holes in laces of boots/sandals, inside 550 shoe laces, sewn in seams of apparel, they would have needed to go over my stuff very carefully for sewing needles, tiny razor blades, magnets, files, stuff to be used off camera... ha ha ha... only a problem if you get caught, say "OH my wife she was SOOO concerned about me and so good with a needle and thread dog gone her..." Actually she does not sew, I do, best way to make gear stores do not sell.

Alan appeared to use fir, yew or similar evergreen branches for shelter, enough of these should work, but need to add more every few days and bull kelp perhaps.

Also whine about black bear until they drop off multiple bear spray cans with daily battery resupply trips is my guess. (which Joe could have used to start fire BTW, oops fell and broke camera, well used wire/knife/axe shorted battery started fire wow what a surprise it worked OMG!) Have bear spray can on you at all times, test out each can and have handy. May not be recommended by all experts but I like to let predator or scavenger (but not skunk not on V. Island) get close then spray at about 5-10 feet, tell them I am boss, but NOT brown bear, also no brown bear on V. Island so it is actually a relatively friendly island compared to places further north and inland/mainland. So why all the whiney crying wet eyes and snotty noses?

One of several Hunting Outfitters on North East Vancouver Island (TrophyWest) Elk, Deer, Bear, Cougar, Wolf, Mtn Goats but probably on other locations:
    http://www.trophywest.com/hunt-info
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-05-2015 at 05:09 PM. Reason: ask for more cans of bear spray

Blog Entries

Cool Howdy from Sarge!

Quote Originally Posted by The Wildman View Post
    Hi Guys!
    I've just joined, and I found this interesting thread, so thought I'd 'chip-in' ...I'm - amazed - that not even a week in has weeded-out these, "Survival Experts" (?) And some of the unbelievable things these 'experts' are doing in terms of day-to-day activities just beggars belief. Two of them have their own You Tube channels, and one of them already quit, after losing his ferro rod....! It's definitely purely for entertainment value, and I wouldn't expect any of them to last more than 3 weeks there. I'd be genuinely surprised if that actually happened.
    Welcome, you're welcome to join in, however it's considered polite to not just barge in without a proper introduction. Why not take a moment and fill this out over in the introduction section, thanks.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...r-Introduction

SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    Hey Sarge, they're looking for people for season 2, sign up and show everybody how its done.
    I'm saving myself for "Fat guys in the Woods."....
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    Very difficult to tell who will be winner, but Alan Kay from Georgia has much going for him if he does not get injured or lose it mentally. Sam 22 is just to young, but with some experience he could do well. Prime age with experience IMO is between 30-60 years if healthy. Women have more endurance than strength generally but I know some who have more strength and endurance than me. Major disadvantage for some women (not all) may be time of month when difficult to control "flow" which could attract predators but there are ways to reduce this disadvantage. But many other people cut them selves and allow blood to drip all over the place which is just as bad, Clean it up and burn it!

Didn't know this program had women?

I might take the challenge, but not easy to make a good video resume, and wife and kids would not be happy about it. IMO at 50 still not too old but I did notice all were under 50. Less than 10% of each day would be enjoyable, but same with most jobs. At least no venomous snakes as far as I know, just wet and cold 24/7, that gets very old fast. If you had ever booked a guided Elk hunt on Vancouver Island and History Channel found out they would probably disqualify you. So that is a bummer. Also if they found out I had been to place where next show is produced they would disqualify me, i.e. they want "experts" with big holes in resume.
    Alan's gear:
    1. Saw
    2. Axe
    3. Sleeping bag
    4. Large 2-quart pot
    5. Ferro rod
    6. Water bottle/canteen metal!!!! I think!
    7. 300 yards single filament line with 25 assorted hooks
    8. Small gauge gill net
    9. 3.5lb wire for snares and shelter etc etc.
    10. Knife

I would have cheated and put small ferro rod with drilled holes in laces of boots/sandals, inside 550 shoe laces, sewn in seams of apparel, they would have needed to go over my stuff very carefully for sewing needles, tiny razor blades, magnets, files, stuff to be used off camera... ha ha ha... only a problem if you get caught, say "OH my wife she was SOOO concerned about me and so good with a needle and thread dog gone her..." Actually she does not sew, I do, best way to make gear stores do not sell.

Alan appeared to use fir, yew or similar evergreen branches for shelter, enough of these should work, but need to add more every few days and bull kelp perhaps.

Also whine about black bear until they drop off multiple bear spray cans with daily battery resupply trips is my guess. Have bear spray can on you at all times, test out each can and have handy. May not be recommended by all experts but I like to let predator or scavenger (but not skunk not on V. Island) get close then spray at about 5-10 feet, tell them I am boss, but NOT brown bear, also no brown bear on V. Island so it is actually a relatively friendly island compared to places further north and inland/mainland. So why all the whiney crying wet eyes and snotty noses?

One of several Hunting Outfitters on North East Vancouver Island (TrophyWest) Elk, Deer, Bear, Cougar, Wolf, Mtn Goats but probably on other locations:
    http://www.trophywest.com/hunt-info
    Seems to be an underlying thought to cheat and bend the rules....LOL
    Why is that?....If you only had 10 items, you would what 11?

Naked and Afraid is not allow to have all the stuff they have, and have dealt with lions, hippos, hyena, croc's, caiman, monitor lizards, and sharks......

I do like "Fat Guys in the woods..."
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

3 have tapped because of fear of predators. I know most people no longer have large predators in their areas and so don't have any experience with them. Hearing anything moving while you have that built up fear while you try to pass a long dark night by yourself is going to freak you out.

The wolves on the island are described as very shy and it is unusual for them to be seen by humans. There have been two bear maulings. Cougar attacks are rare.

http://www.westerlynews.ca/local-new...ttack-1.185177

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimesc...8-89044c3a8de3

The fourth, Joe, says he quit because he lost his ferro rod. If you look at his 10 items video from his youtube site he describes the ferro he brought a big, big bunker style ferro rod from firesteel.com. He holds his hand to indicate a 4 or 5 inch ferro rod. So, he had a 1/2" by 4" or 5" rod that he set on his jacket and it fell on the ground. I am not convinced that he just didn't throw in the towel. If you listen to what he says when he talks about leaving on the show. It sounds like he realized he had bitten off more than he bargained for and so he just quit.

https://youtu.be/iz1Ve-5UQQY

So far I am leaning toward all that have tapped out so far as being fear driven.

Banned

Default Backups not cheating, Shellfish in area that may be available

Well I guess I watched "Dude you'er screwed" too much but mostly I just like having backups, i.e. incase rucksack/backpack gets taken by a bear or raccoon or lost in ride down a white water river, enough time in the wilderness and you learn that if something bad/SHTF can happen it sooner or later will, best to have back up blade, fire starter etc. hidden in your apparel. Make bow drill + board as well and keep it and tinder in dry place. "Naked and Afraid" IMO is a stupid show for comfy chair spectators, I grew up with mostly naked indigenous people and most of them would laugh at the stupidity of that show. "Fat Guys in the woods" is much better, IMO. Not sure if everyone of them has backpack suspended from tree branch with cord when not using it, or just sitting under tarp in shelter, this is a big risk, even with no food a bear is likely to take it.

This region of V. Island is Area 27 for B.C. fisheries I believe, as you can see fairly generous regulations for shellfish. Contestants can use gill net with willow branches or similar to make a simple dip net to catch crab etc. as they craw or swim in shallows or just hold clams etc (as long as you are not allergic to shellfish). 11.5 cm min size of Red Rock Crab hopefully some of them in shallows, make a simple rake for clams, also small fish in swampy areas, funnel/trap for salmon in river/creek, work all areas as tide is going out. Never store extra food or you attract bear and puma etc. Catch fill up belly and dispose or bury extra, I learned from indigenous people eat till you are about to burst when there is food then if necessary you can go days with none, live off fat, not good for health but works. I have seen water-buffalo and cattle try to steal and eat meat that was smoking, ran off with anyway, it is a PITA to preserve meat in humid climate, better just to hunt/catch and cook then eat immediately.

Basic regulations (Area 27), B.C. is similar to Louisiana a sportsman's paradise but without cottonmouth:
    http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/r...uille-eng.html

Red Rock Crab:
    http://www.shim.bc.ca/species/redrock.htm

At least there have been quite a few couples on N&A make it for 21 days of starving....not just one or 2 days.... day/night w/all that gear.

These boys are not very impressive.

So I disagree with you, but have to say haven't watched either one for a while now....

I am a fan of the Original "Survivor" Show.....still on....LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you brought it up.....

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    At least there have been quite a few couples on N&A make it for 21 days of starving....not just one or 2 days.... day/night w/all that gear.

These boys are not very impressive.

So I disagree with you, but have to say haven't watched either one for a while now....

I am a fan of the Original "Survivor" Show.....still on....LOL
    And if only "Man, Woman, Wild" were still on....!...
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Banned

Default large firesteel lost? psychology of alone is biggest challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    The fourth, Joe, says he quit because he lost his ferro rod. If you look at his 10 items video from his youtube site he describes the ferro he brought a big, big bunker style ferro rod from firesteel.com. He holds his hand to indicate a 4 or 5 inch ferro rod. So, he had a 1/2" by 4" or 5" rod that he set on his jacket and it fell on the ground. I am not convinced that he just didn't throw in the towel. If you listen to what he says when he talks about leaving on the show. It sounds like he realized he had bitten off more than he bargained for and so he just quit.

https://youtu.be/iz1Ve-5UQQY

So far I am leaning toward all that have tapped out so far as being fear driven.
    That was an interesting video Joe posted, I cannot figure him out. Perhaps he had narrow expectations of what he would encounter and when he got there was not able to adapt fast enough. Just from the bird's eye view (no details) I thought his location was possibly the worst (my first impression) but I could have been very wrong about that. I have a large "GOBSPARK ARMAGEDDON FIRESTEEL" from fire-steel dot com that is way over priced $13 and bulky, NOT for backpacking but with plastic sheath and striker it is not easily broken like tiny ones, I rarely use it. Perhaps he used one like it, lanyard it comes with is junk, best to replace with good quality 550 cord or loop of amsteel/dyneema. Smaller ones in wooden or vinyl tubing to protect are more practical IMO, or in handle of knife or sheath.

Comparing this show with "Fat guys" and "Naked and Afraid" is like Apple to Oranges or chickens to hippopotamus. Alone is in a very cold and wet environment with psychology of being alone for an indefinite amount of time. N&F is warm and you have a partner surrounded by camera and sound crew with medical crew on short notice, with most wildlife frightened away by all the commotion, and definite end date to count down to. TOTALLY different.

Everyone reacts differently but when I was about 11 years old I spent the summer with a friend's family instead of my own in a very remote and primitive indigenous village. There were a few minutes each morning that the adults were on short wave radio and I could talk to my mother if I wanted to but it only made me home sick, so after once or twice I choose not to, and was always out of the hut during this time in the morning. I could leave a message that I was doing well. My friend's mother figured me out, psychologically very fast and explained it to my mom who understood. Even today by day 3 I generally text message my wife when I am in the wilderness (if I can get a signal but tell wife not to expect one) that I am alive and healthy but that is about it. Other guys and women I camp with drain their batteries talking for hours, I never do. Don't really care if the kids are driving her crazy, that is her issue, will deal with it when I get home, I don't want any distractions that will mess with my mind.

Edit: Saw a few of Joe's YouTube video's, none were impressive. It is cynical but perhaps he and others just want to get on History TV show and other shows like it to promote their YouTube channels in hopes of making some money from them. The gear he demonstrated was not very good IMO, and he was not any good at the demo so wasted History Channel TV time and everyone's else's, but just my opinion, it's a free country I'm sure he has fans and followers. To each their own.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-06-2015 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Joe's YT channel waste of time IMO

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    3 have tapped because of fear of predators. I know most people no longer have large predators in their areas and so don't have any experience with them. Hearing anything moving while you have that built up fear while you try to pass a long dark night by yourself is going to freak you out.

The wolves on the island are described as very shy and it is unusual for them to be seen by humans. There have been two bear maulings. Cougar attacks are rare.

http://www.westerlynews.ca/local-new...ttack-1.185177

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimesc...8-89044c3a8de3
    These incidents sound similar to some in other parts of North America. Very rare, you are more likely to be attacked by a pack of feral dogs or possibly hogs than black bears unless you cover yourself in food and lie there very still or incredibly drunk which I suspect may have been the case a few times. My wife and one daughter were watching that ABC Bachelorette show and the lady on it was terrified of birds and could not walk past the pigeons in a city park, their wing flapping freaked her out. Some people are just not rational. On the farm some folks are afraid of large cows, whatever.

I've been catching the show on-line and find it interesting. As I suspected, the psychology of being alone and isolated has proven to be more challenging than lack of skills.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel