Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: "Alone."

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I just had to post this after I found it on another site.

This is what those guys are stressing over!

http://i.imgur.com/Vmuts2X.gifv
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Joe is, I believe, an admin on bushcraftusa.cim. I got reprimanded for saying he wussed out. He had a fire so until it went out there was no need for a firesteel. He just had to shift priorities a bit to make keeping that fire going number one. If didn't currently have a fire I'd be much more lenient as getting one started would be very hard. But to have one and quit....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Couldn't the needed wood be dried by the fire he'd already started? Also, according to the list, looks they all had a good amount of 550 cord; perhaps make a lanyard to hang the fire steel on and keep it around his neck so he wouldn't lose it? I think he was missing his family and just wanted out of there....

there's old camps? Do they know this?...

Only if you're there Kevin. I'd need to be with somebody who's experienced the area....

I'm down with that.

You can see logging roads in the show. Look for what looks like a strip of lighter green. That is alders reclaiming a road. The circle of life here is gravel road, alders overtake it, then salmonberry co mingles with that, then coniferous trees take root in the soil created by alder leaves. Logging roads lead to quarries that were blasted to build the roads. Quarries are often a good source for rope and metals such as rebar and barrels.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

This show was a good idea but the producers seemed to have chosen the wrong people. It seems that a lot of guys go to Walmart and buy a Colman mag block with stick and are able to produce a fire in dry grass in the middle of August and think they are a expert bushman. Or watching a dozen YouTube videos doesn't make you apocalypse expert. Now I'll admit I'm far from an "expert" but for my area on mississippi I'm pretty well suited for survival. I'm just an avid outdoorsman who loves going to the river with my single man canvas tent and primitive camping with some tight lining all night or camping primitively only to wake early to go hunting. Now with only 10 items in unfamiliar territory I doubt I'll do as well as I would in my hometown. But if I was able to chose my items and I knew bears and wolves were an issue I would get a 44mag six shooter.
    Last edited by xjosh40x; 07-08-2015 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbushcraft View Post
    Joe is, I believe, an admin on bushcraftusa.cim. I got reprimanded for saying he wussed out. He had a fire so until it went out there was no need for a firesteel. He just had to shift priorities a bit to make keeping that fire going number one. If didn't currently have a fire I'd be much more lenient as getting one started would be very hard. But to have one and quit....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Bad place for opinions.....True Dat......LOL.

Caught the end of one tonight....guy bailed because a bear kept charging his tent.....Producers had to walk in the dark to get him out.
    So,..it looks like 6 left.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Cool Face palm time!

These guys are supposed to know survival, right? I have to restrain myself from yelling at the TV! One guy's been drinking at least 10 quarts if water right from a polluted stream and was having problems...DER! "Dude!" I want to yell, "You've got the largest amount of rainfall on the planet...and you don't have to boil it either! You know you might have thought to have included some sort of water filter in with your gear...even a "Life Straw" would be better than nothing. And why didn't you make a weapon right from the start. sharpen a spear point on a long branch and harden it in the fire.! Creek Stewart can teach you about weapons. And remember, there's no crying in Survival!

At the age of 19 I was at McCoy Wisconsin at the old Camp McCoy Army base in Job Corps. This Vista worker started up a bunch of us camping on the weekends. It rained long and hard every time we were out, but we managed to start a fire right away and keep it going all the time we were there! We even caught Bullhead in the nearby lake!

Given all there facing I'd say keeping them isolated and limiting their belongings to only 10 items is not a good thing....
    Last edited by Sarge47; 07-10-2015 at 09:37 AM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

hmmm...so I have applied for season 2.....having been involvedwith dude your screwed and met john Hudson and the other boys it all comes down to psycology of survival....mitch I like he goes by native survival and wayne is kullcraven bushcraft all good practiononers of survival....in there own comfort zone...and most with weapons....having spent years working with wovles and black bear my comfort level is good...cougar are still a mystery to me....I have no family so not worried about that aspect...the biggest obstacle is psycology...something I focus on quite heavily when I teach.....armchair quarterbacking is easy....I challenge anyone who thinks they can do better to apply and prove it....that's my plan....stay tuned for more
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Hope you get picked up for the next season.

So far, I've enjoyed watching it. As I've stated previously, the biggest factor for most of these guys is psychological. We all spend or have spent a lot of time in the woods. I remember a question that Sourdough asked several years ago that went something like.... what is the longest period of time you spent in the woods alone with absolutely no human contact? For most, the answers ranged from a few days to a week or so. For some it was none. If you are not accustomed to being alone in the woods - especially an area that you are not familiar with - your mind and imagination may be active in a way that is outside your comfort level.

For the guys that have left the show so far (first three episodes anyway) I believe that is the case. Even the guy that "lost" his firesteel.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

These guys are supposed to know survival, right? I have to restrain myself from yelling at the TV! One guy's been drinking at least 10 quarts if water right from a polluted stream and was having problems...DER! "Dude!" I want to yell, "You've got the largest amount of rainfall on the planet...and you don't have to boil it either! You know you might have thought to have included some sort of water filter in with your gear...even a "Life Straw" would be better than nothing. And why didn't you make a weapon right from the start. sharpen a spear point on a long branch and harden it in the fire.! Creek Stewart can teach you about weapons. And remember, there's no crying in Survival!

At the age of 19 I was at McCoy Wisconsin at the old Camp McCoy Army base in Job Corps. This Vista worker started up a bunch of us camping on the weekends. It rained long and hard every time we were out, but we managed to start a fire right away and keep it going all the time we were there! We even caught Bullhead in the nearby lake!

Given all there facing I'd say keeping them isolated and limiting there belongings to only 10 items is not a good thing....
    Water filters were not an option

Like I mentioned before, you talk a big game and should apply for season 2, show everyone how its done. It would be an easy $500k for you, heck, $250k after taxes but are you making that much now?

We all "talk a big game". That comes from years and years of practicing wilderness skills and dealing with inimical folks.

Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    Water filters were not an option

Like I mentioned before, you talk a big game and should apply for season 2, show everyone how its done. It would be an easy $500k for you, heck, $250k after taxes but are you making that much now?
    Not if I can't have a water filter...besides. I'm still waiting for Creek to call!....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Go for it, WE!

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    hmmm...so I have applied for season 2.....having been involvedwith dude your screwed and met john Hudson and the other boys it all comes down to psycology of survival....mitch I like he goes by native survival and wayne is kullcraven bushcraft all good practiononers of survival....in there own comfort zone...and most with weapons....having spent years working with wovles and black bear my comfort level is good...cougar are still a mystery to me....I have no family so not worried about that aspect...the biggest obstacle is psycology...something I focus on quite heavily when I teach.....armchair quarterbacking is easy....I challenge anyone who thinks they can do better to apply and prove it....that's my plan....stay tuned for more
    I'll be cheering you on WE! If anybody could make it you'd be my bet! I can't apply; I'm 68 years old now and am having leg and feet problems. However that doesn't keep my mind from working. I'm not saying I'd do any better, however if I were a younger man and single instead of having an invalid wife I need to take care of I might just apply. I'd still hide a water filter on my person. I just wouldn't be stupid enough to film myself using it. seems to me these guys each have several tarps so making a rain catch wouldn't be that difficult. There doesn't seem to be a limit on clothing so several bandanas and a good poncho might also help in the order of things.....
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Not if I can't have a water filter...besides. I'm still waiting for Creek to call!....
    I spoke to Creek yesterday, he mentioned you are overqualified and underweight for his show

Blog Entries

Cool I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Hope you get picked up for the next season.

So far, I've enjoyed watching it. As I've stated previously, the biggest factor for most of these guys is psychological. We all spend or have spent a lot of time in the woods. I remember a question that Sourdough asked several years ago that went something like.... what is the longest period of time you spent in the woods alone with absolutely no human contact? For most, the answers ranged from a few days to a week or so. For some it was none. If you are not accustomed to being alone in the woods - especially an area that you are not familiar with - your mind and imagination may be active in a way that is outside your comfort level.

For the guys that have left the show so far (first three episodes anyway) I believe that is the case. Even the guy that "lost" his firesteel.
    I agree, panic/fear & loneliness are the two worse dangers in solo survival. The young people that we get on here don't seem to realize that being alone in the woods for a long time can have a detrimental affect on your Psyche....
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    I spoke to Creek yesterday, he mentioned you are overqualified and underweight for his show
    Have to agree with you there! BTW, This forum is all about discussing wilderness survival and "Alone" is a perfect topic. Both my wife and I are learning things to do and not to do by watching the show. I've no doubt that there are quite a few members on here that could go to that Island and "ace" it! I'm not one of them, I'm too old and my feet and legs are giving me problems. Also my wife is pretty much of an invalid so I need to be here for her. If I was the younger, single, more daring man I used to be I might give it a shot!...
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Fyi...

My wife got this off of her Bushcraft forum site for anybody that wants a more in-depth look at what goes on in the series, note the last line...sorry WE!(unless you've already been picked.):

This is a list of everything they took that wasn't on their "list of 10 items they chose" (post 12 of this thread: http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showth...10-items/page2)
    Pelican case
    Blue poly tarp
    Sport (?) cameras (the Go-Pros maybe? I couldn't quite make out what Sam said.)
    Bean bag camera rest
    Water-proof camera
    Flexy-legged tripod
    Microphones
    Headphones
    Batteries
    Chargers (actually portable rechargable battery packs)
    Rain cover for main camera
    Main camera
    Big canvas tarp
    First aid kit (looks like the Mountain Series Comprehensive from Adventure Medical Kits.)
    CAT Tourniquet
    Bear spray
    Sat phone
    GPS tracker with emergency rescue button
    Flare
    Signal mirror
    Whistle
    Backpack (not in the video, but mentioned by Dustin in another thread.)
    Headlamp
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    The deal on the tarps is each ultimately had 2 that didn't count toward the 10 items. One was heavy-duty 12x12 tarp that went with them in their backpack and the other was a lighter weight 5x7 tarp that was part of the pre-positioned camera equipment.
    It wasn't clear if they knew in advance about the smaller 5x7 tarp with the camera equipment. There was no hank of rope included for free. Cordage had to come from the 10 items they chose or what they could scavenge on the island.
    The emergency food ration was actually up to 5 pounds of mixed food in whatever form you liked. It could be cans of food, dry beans, lentils, etc.
    Once a week, the rescue crew would visit each person left and do a physical/mental checkup along with exchanging batteries and video memory cards for the cameras.
    Cast for Season 2 of the show have already been selected.

SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

hey sarge where would you hide the lifestraw to sneak it on the show
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

Cool ????

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    hey sarge where would you hide the lifestraw to sneak it on the show
    Why? Are you going on the show and need some tips?...
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Why isn't a filter allowed? As I understand it they can take anything they can pack in a small bag.

Blog Entries

Cool ????

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Why isn't a filter allowed? As I understand it they can take anything they can pack in a small bag.
    Good question Rick. A water filter would have kept the last guy that tapped out on the show. They're down to 5 now. Another thing, the producers better hope to God that no one gets maimed or killed by a predator, otherwise their show will be in the toilet. I don't care what kind of waivers might have been signed, a grieving widow in front of a jury can oft times earn a large cash award! I think this show was poorly designed myself....

Remember fellow members that "Naked and Afraid" recently had a casting call on here....
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin