Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So how is everybody getting along with the canning and freezing?

Blog Entries

I have canned Bacon rashers and bacon mishapes. For rashers I cut a piece of baking parchment twice the size of the rashers and then lay them along the middle. then fold over top and bottom, then fold the whole thing in half, roll them up and slide into the jar. You prob wouldn't need to fold if using a quart jar. Process as for raw meat. The Bacon mis-shapes I treat as cubed meat and again use the raw meat method.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I'll save you the trouble. Rashers = thin slices. Mishapes are as the name implies. Two people separated by a common language.

I had a rasher once......cleared it up with some ointment.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You guys are so bad.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks Winnie that sounds like what I have been reading. The tomatoes are about to be overwhelming so might be a bit before I try the bacon.

Blog Entries

Beans have started coming in so canning them is a job for tomorrow. Going to knock up some Summer Squash Gratin for the freezer too.
    Can't think of anything that gives me quite such a contented (and smug) feeling as putting up my home grown veggies.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by BornthatWay View Post
    Thanks Winnie that sounds like what I have been reading. The tomatoes are about to be overwhelming so might be a bit before I try the bacon.

Am not canning tomatoes this year on the other hand squirrel sure is good at least I got SOMETHING out of my once over abundant tomato patch....
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Well we have canned 28 quarts of tomatoes today 9 pints of corn and I have truly lost count of how much zucchini we have frozen for zucchini bread. But I am always thankful for all the abundance of the garden.

Blog Entries

I've been working extra hours so I couldn't get down to the allotment, today I picked enough beans for another another 8 pints, a dozen normal sized squash and a couple of 'stuffing' sized squash. I also gave away a couple more big squash to the neighbour.

Pumpkins are HUGE!!

Well I am just about canned out. I wish. Did 7 quarts and 6 pints of applesauce yesterday. We have made 7 pints if ketchup tonight and working on I have no idea how many quarts of tomatoes juice. Will fill you in tomorrow. Also have more green beans to pick and can tomorrow. Whew what a season we are having in the garden.

Got my bushel of peaches yesterday. I always forget how many peaches there are in a bushel...
    Got most of them canned up, about 2 dozen half pints, and half of those are brandied. That's not quite 4 quarts but they were pretty large peaches.

There's just enough left to do a couple pre-frozen pie fillings. For those I cut em up, add the sugar and flour and spices, put a small towel in a pie dish (simulates the crust thickness and a 'bar mop' towel is the perfect size,) then some saran wrap, pour the peaches in the saran wrap and toss em in the freezer for a couple hours. When frozen solid, I take em out, take off the saran wrap and vacuum seal em. When you go to cook em, you just toss them in an uncooked shell (unwrap them first Rick) and bake. Will take about an hour rather than the usual 20 minutes.

Winnie, I'm going to have to try that bacon thing. I can get bacon ends for $2 a piece at the local slaughterhouse. Those are the pieces the slicer hooks hold onto and they're usually pretty good size chunks. I only buy them when I'm doing a batch of split pea soup. Never gave canning them a thought.

I've frozen about 8 qts of spaghetti sauce. I think I have one more smaller batch of tomatoes coming on so will try some pizza sauce for the first time.
    Last edited by LowKey; 08-23-2015 at 12:37 PM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I appreciate the clarification.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Got my bushel of peaches yesterday. I always forget how many peaches there are in a bushel...
    Got most of them canned up, about 2 dozen half pints, and half of those are brandied. That's not quite 4 quarts but they were pretty large peaches.

There's just enough left to do a couple pre-frozen pie fillings. For those I cut em up, add the sugar and flour and spices, put a small towel in a pie dish (simulates the crust thickness and a 'bar mop' towel is the perfect size,) then some saran wrap, pour the peaches in the saran wrap and toss em in the freezer for a couple hours. When frozen solid, I take em out, take off the saran wrap and vacuum seal em. When you go to cook em, you just toss them in an uncooked shell (unwrap them first Rick) and bake. Will take about an hour rather than the usual 20 minutes.

Winnie, I'm going to have to try that bacon thing. I can get bacon ends for $2 a piece at the local slaughterhouse. Those are the pieces the slicer hooks hold onto and they're usually pretty good size chunks. I only buy them when I'm doing a batch of split pea soup. Never gave canning them a thought.

I've frozen about 8 qts of spaghetti sauce. I think I have one more smaller batch of tomatoes coming on so will try some pizza sauce for the first time.
    Canned Bacon mishapes are a really handy thing to have in the cupboard. Great for soups, beans and omlettes!

Sorry Rick, I'd originally forgotten that instruction and I knew it would be you who'd pounce on it. A bit of a pre-emptive strike.

But I also used to work in a grocery store bake shop while in college, and I can't tell you the number of times some of the foolish kids working there would not read the dutch apple pie wrapper that said "remove before cooking." Baked plastic. Yum-mee. Those ovens that pipe that nice fresh-bake smell through the store? Yeah, they have a lever at the bottom labeled "Abort." Vents to the roof when you throw it. LOL.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…

I always wondered how they did that. They always get you with that fresh bakery aroma when you walk in but you never smell the "Oh, crap I left it in way to long and it's black" smell. Abort sounds appropriate.

Blog Entries

Still going. Now on to tomatoes. Some Pasta sauce is in the canner.
    Last edited by Winnie; 09-11-2015 at 08:54 AM.

Trying my hand at some wine. I have one grape vine but it went nuts this year. About 30lbs of grapes.
    Will be moving it from the main fermenter into glass jugs with airlocks today. Been in there for a week with a purchased wine yeast and bubbling has just slowed. Will have about two gallons.

Yeah they are Concord grapes but only used about 1/4 of the skins. Everyone tells me it would have too much tannin and taste 'foxy' if I used them all. PITA to scoop em out but hope it's worth it.
    IMG_0509.jpgIMG_0510.JPG

Made some grape jelly too.
    IMG_0519.jpg
    Last edited by LowKey; 09-12-2015 at 09:10 AM.

Kinda short of two gallons. Just a gallon and a half.
    This stuff has an alcohol content that will make your eyes water just by sniffing it. Hope it smooths out...
    This is the full one.
    A lot of settling to do.
    IMG_0520.jpg

Blog Entries

Well, you could always use it as fuel. I'd like a Grapevine.

Whew, I have been blessed with an abundance of crops (and am even more grateful after finding out our county has had a countywide tomato, cuke and potato blight this summer).

I have over a bushel of some green, some red tomatoes left to can/sauce/pesto but here goes
    72 quarts pickles so far
    23 pints pickles.
    35 quarts tomato sauce
    21 pints varied tomatoes - roasted, plain, raw pack
    2 qts tomato juice and 1 pint
    About 15 cups basil pesto and more to come - frozen
    Heaps of deydrated herbs chives, oregano, thyme, parsley, mint so far.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15