Thread: Repack the BOV...Spring cleaning..and Milk crates.

Default Repack the BOV...Spring cleaning..and Milk crates.

In my quest for repacking fish hooks....and getting dirty knees crawling around in the back of the 1999 truck....dirty from hauling leaves, compost, and mulch from the city site.....Decided it was time for the "spring cleaning".

I carry a lot of stuff in the back and have for many years.....so can be used as a BOV if necessary with bags.. food/ water, stoves, tarps, compressor, and a lot of get unstuck stuff.....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Now as this is the daily driver and doesn't really enter into any Bug out plans, ....unless absolutely necessary....That job is now for Big Red.....and is loaded as well.

Question is...how much stuff do you need to carry....LOl..
    I did cut back a lot.....but still am going carry the basics.

Everything out...including 1" Styrofoam for under that rubber mat...insulation for knees, sound, cold and heat.
    Works well.
    Wash and replace....

Now in the sorting process I repacked the milk crate I like to keep at the tailgate held in by bungees....Tow straps, trailer hitches stingers (3), hold downs, batteries, trouble lights, garbage bags wire ties, WD 40, screwdriver, machete, extension cord, folding trowel, hand warmers, Mora with fire steel....LOL...just about anything I have ever needed standing at the tailgate....I now carry around.....

Milk crate can have stuff attached to the outside(or inside) with small bungees...including electrical tape and duck tape.
    .....and hand cleaner/shop rags.

So....Even though I don't use this for many out of town trips....BUT if I took out all "stuff"....you know I would need it tomorrow.
    Last edited by hunter63; 06-25-2015 at 10:28 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    In my quest for repacking fish hooks....and getting dirty knees crawling around in the back of the 1999 truck....dirty from hauling leaves, compost, and mulch from the city site.....Decided it was time for the "spring cleaning".

I carry a lot of stuff in the back and have for many years.....so can be used as a BOV if necessary with bags.. food/ water, stoves, tarps, compressor, and a lot of get unstuck stuff.....

Now as this is the daily driver and doesn't really enter into any Bug out plans, ....unless absolutely necessary....That job is now for Big Red.....and is loaded as well.

Question is...how much stuff do you need to carry....LOl..
    I did cut back a lot.....but still am going carry the basics.

Everything out...including 1" Styrofoam for under that rubber mat...insulation for knees, sound, cold and heat.
    Works well.
    Wash and replace....

Now in the sorting process I repacked the milk crate I like to keep at the tailgate held in by bungees....Tow straps, trailer hitches stingers (3), hold downs, batteries, trouble lights, garbage bags wire ties, WD 40, screwdriver, machete, extension cord, folding trowel, hand warmers, Mora with fire steel....LOL...just about anything I have ever needed standing at the tailgate....I now carry around.....

Milk crate can have stuff attached to the outside(or inside) with small bungees...including electrical tape and duck tape.
    .....and hand cleaner/shop rags.

So....Even though I don't use this for many out of town trips....BUT if I took out all "stuff"....you know I would need it tomorrow.
    Trying to get the pics to stay put.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah I did an edit, as well...they are back for now.....

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I need to do the same. I had a camping trip shut down by the doctor a couple of weeks back and have not had the heart to completely unpack yet.

I'm holding out for a cold snap! it's been so hot lately I do not need to be out in it all day, even sitting under an awning.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Hunter,
    It is amazing how much my "everyday" load looks like yours...I use a milk crate for kind of a tool catchall attached with bungees at the tail gate. I used to use soft packs and gear bags for most of the stuff but a couple of years ago I "came into" two large Pelican boxes that hold a lot of my gear now. One is mechanical stufAttachment 10760f, tow straps, chains, snatch blocks, and tools. The other box carries my "camping" gear.

Pick up everyday.jpg
    Last edited by DSJohnson; 06-27-2015 at 01:02 PM.

The vehicle load out of a WSF member can be a wonder to be seen!

Most of us could not just "survive" with what we carry daily, we could build a small city.

The thought of getting into a vehicle with no gear or supplies gives me the shivers!

Yeah, I've got to go through mine and thin out the gear a little. Getting ready for some camping and canoeing. Only planning on two days - no need to pack for 60. 30 should do it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I am so glad I have really, finally found all the normal people. I always knew y'all were out there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Yeah, I've got to go through mine and thin out the gear a little. Getting ready for some camping and canoeing. Only planning on two days - no need to pack for 60. 30 should do it.
    Crash I am constantly waiting for you to announce that all four wheels of the white truck have folded up under the beast, the springs have collapsed and the tires have all gone flat from excess weight.

Your ability to haul around 10 pounds in a five pound sack for this many years is a true testament for the pre-Obama GM truck!

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    Hunter,
    It is amazing how much my "everyday" load looks like yours...I use a milk crate for kind of a tool catchall attached with bungees at the tail gate. I used to use soft packs and gear bags for most of the stuff but a couple of years ago I "came into" two large Pelican boxes that hold a lot of my gear now. One is mechanical stufAttachment 10760f, tow straps, chains, snatch blocks, and tools. The other box carries my "camping" gear.

Pick up everyday.jpg
    Yeah, no ship......and I don't find it all the unusual .......
    And Yeah my load is about 1/2 of what it was....and this is just the everyday driver, doesn't leave town, generally.

Point is, It could be used as a BOV, and is kept full of gas or at least 3/4 tank at all times........and would not hesitate to take off to Louisiana in it (1000 miles).....just grab the "go bags" and go. .

I can not stand to "not have my stuff" with me, either.

I like your use of the styrofoam. My bony knees take a beating every time I have to crawl inside. I usually carry a four prong rake to pull stuff to the back that I can't reach. All this padding and nothing on my knees. Seems like a design flaw to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    The vehicle load out of a WSF member can be a wonder to be seen!

Most of us could not just "survive" with what we carry daily, we could build a small city.

The thought of getting into a vehicle with no gear or supplies gives me the shivers!
    Isn't that the truth! I don't own a truck, just a couple of compact sized cars. My car is always ready to go for a weeks worth of comfortable camping for two. I now have the wife's car set up for a trailer. Since I just got a trailer, I am now starting to think about how I want to build/set it up so all we have to do is hook up and go. The world of BOV preparedness never ends, except for crash. How he has so much stuff in that truck is a wonder I can't begin to comprehend.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Nate, Remember the Red Trailer?.......That has most all the same stuff in it as the trucks....plus 2 entire camps.....
    The Rondy tent and gear,...... plus the Sportsman's Guild Tipi tent and fold up canopy.

Still carry the Carhartt bibs and coats......

Last edited by hunter63; 06-27-2015 at 04:06 PM.

No sense me taking a picture of my cargo trailer, you can't see past the wall of gear stacked floor to ceiling.

yeah, I remember the big red trailer. unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it, I can't pull a trailer that big! for now I am resorting to a little four footer.by the way, thank you for the reminder of the Carhartt bibs.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I like your use of the styrofoam. My bony knees take a beating every time I have to crawl inside. I usually carry a four prong rake to pull stuff to the back that I can't reach. All this padding and nothing on my knees. Seems like a design flaw to me.
    Years ago, I had a orange "seater heater" in my deer hunting stuff.....orange cushion style bag filed with Styrofoam beads...and worked well.
    My first truck was a Toyota that had a cap...so used the foam/rubber/sag carpet in the bed....and slept in it for bow hunting.
    Colman lantern actually took out the chill and kept it kinda dry.

Have used the Styrofoam ever since....and its cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Isn't that the truth! I don't own a truck, just a couple of compact sized cars.
    Yea but we could rig out that little Ford Focus like a Dakar Rally car with lights and roof racks and big knobby tires and haul gear in it.

Candice would kill you, but maybe not. After all, she was making a solid demand for her own pair of Carhart bibs !

https://www.google.com/search?q=daka...A6nQEJ31ch8%3D
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-28-2015 at 10:12 PM.

I'm still kicking around the idea of a custom enclosed trailer. 4'X8' would give a few inches in width for a wheeler and 8 foot in length would give room for sleeping and possibly a small heater. Ideally the wheel width would be that of the wheeler. Big enough for a wheeler to be carried in and small enough for the wheeler to tow. A false floor for 5 gallon buckets, a 20 lb propane tank and what ever. With the wheeler out it would give some room for sleeping. I'd like to keep the height to a minimum. I guess the biggest problem in all this is the weight and stability of the trailer.

Build it light...tried to pull the red cargo trailer and almost flipped it with the wheeler...tongue weight too heavy.

This will fit the old Suzuki 4 wheeler and have set up bucks and slept in it.