Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you identify this plant ?

Close enough. It's either wild onion or wild garlic. In this case, wild onion. The only way I can tell them apart is by smell. Any takers on the mushroom?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

TOOTHWART! I can't get over it. The name doesn't make it appetizing.

And Nettles sound good? Or Spiderwort?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

rick; your mushroom is Polyporus squamosus. your plant i must say looks like a mustard of some variety to my eyes.

crash's mushroom looks to be a Pleurotus species, such as P. oystreatus.

i wish i had markets like this around here:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by canid; 05-03-2008 at 06:38 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Canid - You are right on the money. Some folks call them scales or scaleys. Edible but not very tasty. That's why they are still on the tree.

Okay - Here's another one for you. This one is a lot easier than the toothwort. This one is a very handy plant. Just provide the general name. You don't have to be specific.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i agree with candid, that looks more like mustard than toothwort to me. and the last picture is a violet

Excellent! It is a violet. There are three types of wild violets in the Midwest. Marsh Blue Violet, Common Blue Violet and Birdfoot Violet. This is most likely a Common Blue Violet. The difference between the Marsh and Common Violet is the distance the flower rises above the leaves.

There are lots of uses for wild violets. You can use the young leaves as a salad. They are bit bland but would go well with dandelions for instance. They can also be boiled for 10 or 15 minutes to make nice greens. The leaves can also be added to stews as a thickener. The flowers can be candied and the leaves dried and used as a tea.

A note on the earlier pic of the toothwart. My bad!! I said the flower had five petals and meant to say four. I just caught that. If I threw anyone off, my apologies.

One of the differences between mustard and toothwart is mustard has yellow flowers and toothwart is white or pink. At least it is around here.

there are pink and purple flowered mustartd, but my comment was on the foliar appearance. the flower structure is different for sure.

i think i've fixed the problem i had with statically linking those images:

and:

i chose both of these images from my archives because all the details needed to identify them to species are visible.
    Last edited by canid; 05-03-2008 at 06:38 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I think it's the very rare triple blue mushroom. I think it's Latin name is Triplus Bluish Mushroominus.

I agree Rick,it has that distinct blue hue that sets it apart from all the rest.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

What do you think?
    Last edited by rebel; 05-05-2009 at 09:54 PM.

that ones too easy, ill let someone else have it:-P

How about this little guy?
    Last edited by rebel; 05-05-2009 at 09:54 PM.

we're supposed to identify that Rubus to species from that picture?

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    we're supposed to identify that Rubus to species from that picture?
    Which one did you not like?

the one where neither of them give me enough detail, from my amount of experience, to tell which species of Rubus bramble that is...

don't worry, somebody else will get it, but i'm gonna go with R. idaeus, the european/red raspberry, from the stature of the spines and the general morphology of the leaves. this is a guess.

Sorry about the picture quality.

First is Dandelion. Second is poison ivy.

the foliage looked to have been comming from a thorny bramble, which i took to be one plant. do you know what that was?

the picture also gives the impression of thorns on the axil of the the leaf group on the right but to be honest, i'm drinking.

Now I see what you are referencing. I don't know what the thorny stick is in relation to.