Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you identify this plant ?

Default Can you identify this plant ?

Is it edible?

If it is edible, how would you prepare it?
    Last edited by rebel; 05-05-2009 at 09:54 PM.

Hint: This plant is in it's infancy stage.

I'm tempted to say Fiddle Fern (Ostrich Fern) but frankly I've never seen the fuzzy stuff on them.
    Last edited by Rick; 04-30-2008 at 10:17 AM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Fiddleheads, they are fern frond. We put up close to 100 lbs a year. As far as I know all fiddleheads are OK to eat although some are not as good as others. You do have to get most of the brown papery stuff off and they have to be cooked to to destroy something in them(don't remember what the stuff is called). We steam them and eat them with vinaigrette sauce. We also dry a lot for winter greens. Fiddleheads are the first green of the season for many Alaskans. If you are in doubt check with the local Extension Service.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Put me down for Fiddle Back Fern, good battered and fried. I too have never seen it with that white mold looking stuff.

Your right, fiddlehead and I don't know about the fuzz. You win the prize. Would you like to post the next plant picture? I can as I have time.
    Last edited by rebel; 04-30-2008 at 10:25 AM.

Okay. I went out today looking for Morels (skunked on those by the way) and took the camera. This one is a bit tougher but pretty common in the Midwest. I thought I had taken a better pic of the flower but it has five petals and is white. You can find these as solitary plants or spread out, almost carpet like. They only bloom in this time of year. The third pic is a large area of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The leaves look like wild grapes, but I never seen em flower like that before

My initial guess is a berry plant. I'll try Thimbleberry.

now I was hoping for a pic of those big shrooms you guys have over in Indiana.
    I used to be a Hoosier
    "SURVIVAL..........it's all in your Head!"

Not grapes and not berries. In fact, it's not even a fruit.

If it's big shrooms you want, it's big shrooms you'll get. What kind are they? Here's a hint. They are growing on an old elm.

Speaking of large fungi - I had to inspect an old abandoned home a while back. This was growing through a seam in the kitchen floor.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I would bet your life that it's a shell. Panus Conchatus.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Okay. I went out today looking for Morels (skunked on those by the way) and took the camera. This one is a bit tougher but pretty common in the Midwest. I thought I had taken a better pic of the flower but it has five petals and is white. You can find these as solitary plants or spread out, almost carpet like. They only bloom in this time of year. The third pic is a large area of them.
    A nettle???

Nope. Think condiment. That's the use. (it's not something in your kitchen but something you can use in the wild).

While you work on that plant AND the mushroom, I'll give you an easy one.

only thing i can think of is mint but mint dosent flower dose it......

Not mint for the first one.

I'm going to put you out of your misery. As I said, it's a bit tougher. It's Toothwart. These guys grow everywhere in the Midwest. You can find lower woodlands just covered in it. The roots can be grated and prepared like horseradish.

Chives for the third

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Not mint for the first one.

I'm going to put you out of your misery. As I said, it's a bit tougher. It's Toothwart. These guys grow everywhere in the Midwest. You can find lower woodlands just covered in it. The roots can be grated and prepared like horseradish.
    That was my next answer...yea right! Toothwart? I've never heard of it and maybe now I will not forget.