Thread: Carving

Default Carving

I make spoons and cooking utensils when I go out, but they are very simple affairs.

I split wood down to 1/4"-1/8" thickness and simply carve a handle and round out the spoon end. I have burnt depressions into spoons before as well.

I'd like to learn to carve decorations and other embellishments but my mind can't seen to see that dimension.

Anybody have any tips, tricks, techniques, and tools that will make carving easier and produce better results?
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Search "woodspirits" on youtube and watch a few videos. 2 simple cuts can get you started, the stop cut and the slice cut. I just bought 2 Mora carving knives, the 120 and the 122 models - very nice knives for carving. Of course for spoons and such you might also want a hook knife.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

For embellishments try drawing them first. Nothing fancy to start - it will give you a target to work on.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That was really helpful Lamewolf. I guess I need to make a purpose built carving knife. I recall old men carving amazing things with a small 3 blade stockman folder.

Crash, I've tried that a few times. I always end up removing the spots that should be high. It's like dyslexia.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Last edited by sjj; 12-15-2017 at 10:16 AM.

Google "kolrosing".
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

I am a crappy carver....but just tell everyone my original goal was feather stick in the first place, when my eagle looses it feathers.

Kudos to those that can see what is hiding in a piece of wood....and allow it to come out.

Did have to look up "kolrosing"......thought it had to do with beer.......that is "krausening".
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    That was really helpful Lamewolf. I guess I need to make a purpose built carving knife. I recall old men carving amazing things with a small 3 blade stockman folder.

Crash, I've tried that a few times. I always end up removing the spots that should be high. It's like dyslexia.
    I'm not a big time carver, more of a whitler. But I have done some carving in my time building things such as black powder rifles and a few long bows. And a lot of times a 3 blade stockman was pressed into service with good success. I have a few Old Timer stockmans and been thinking of modifying the blades on one just to have a pocket carving knife.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Kolrosing is a new one on me. Looks easiest of the lot for simple decoration.

I'll post some results after I give the face a try, and I may kolrose the face for more relief.

I've recently gotten into spoon carving. Ordered me a hook knife and made me a dedicated carving knife. It's quite therapeutic...

new carver1.jpg

hollyspoon2.jpg
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Well done.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Default what I'm learning

It's all about practice, imagination and patients with me on this subject. Most woods can be carved and you can use pretty much any kind of knife if you have to resort to anything you can find. Lots of info out there.
    So far I've learned to carve and naturally stain pipes and have moved on to animal figures. I cant wait to get better at my craft. I think i have some pictures of some current stuff I havent detailed yet.
    2015-07-01 13.08.47.jpg20150704_072948.jpg
    20150704_073212.jpg
    20150723_102357.jpg

Today I carved my first ever spoon using a mora knife and coal
    Is it worth keeping or am I too bad?
    I think I will do a little bit more fine carving on the edges an that will be it

IMG_1306.jpg
    Check out my survival youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCup...cRQ3O29ZB7Ybiw

Maybe just sand or scrape down the blackened bowl, and clean it up a bit.....

I would use it if it was mine.....

I still have and use the first knife I made years ago....was pretty crappy...later efforts were getting better, but I lost the zeal of knife making.....but it still works.

Now I come on here, see the beautiful work a lot of you all do....so don't even bother....I'll get a paper route and make the money to enjoy their work.
    Some day if you stay at it, you will be making some real cool projects........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

yeah I will sand it a little bit and ofcourse I will clean the bowl
    Check out my survival youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCup...cRQ3O29ZB7Ybiw