Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer hit

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Deer hit

I almost hit a deer and fawn on the way to the Waffle House about 2pm. They jumped right out in the road in front of me and I had to make a split second decision that every deer hunter in the world has probably done.

Do I hit the gas or the brake?

In that split second I realized that I was in the Escape and if I hit a deer in that thing the Game and Fish people would give me a ticket for killing a deer with a small caliber vehicle!

And it was a real big doe, she would have probably totaled the Ford.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I hit a big doe about 8 months back, killed it instantly, took out my grill, radiator, and headlights. Fixed the vehicle myself and then 2 months later hit a fawn still in spots - no damage that time. If I had been on my way home when I hit the big one, I would have carved the back straps off of it and took them home with me. But I was on my way to work and the radiator wasn't leaking so bad that I couldn't make it. I drive a 1999 Honda CRV and I work in the service department of a Honda dealership. So I put in a new radiator that day, ordered new headlights from Amazon real cheap, and picked up a used grill for free.. Had no time to react on either one of them except for to lift my foot from the gas pedal. Now I hear there have been bear sightings in the area - sure hope I don't run into one of them.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    I hit a big doe about 8 months back, killed it instantly, took out my grill, radiator, and headlights. Fixed the vehicle myself and then 2 months later hit a fawn still in spots - no damage that time. If I had been on my way home when I hit the big one, I would have carved the back straps off of it and took them home with me. But I was on my way to work and the radiator wasn't leaking so bad that I couldn't make it. I drive a 1999 Honda CRV and I work in the service department of a Honda dealership. So I put in a new radiator that day, ordered new headlights from Amazon real cheap, and picked up a used grill for free.. Had no time to react on either one of them except for to lift my foot from the gas pedal. Now I hear there have been bear sightings in the area - sure hope I don't run into one of them.
    When I started reading this post and got to the part that said
    took out my grill
    I thought - well yeah....don't want to eat it raw.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Wow, Crash, You are on Fire today.......LOL.

Kyrat, small caliber vehicle.....LOL....

Y'all are cracking me up.

How far off the road does it still count as road kill.....?
    If 4 wheel drive isn't needed...still considered "road".

The everyday drive truck has a brush guard, and has deflected two deer hits.....along with some fancy driving, braking, cussing and good luck.
    Brush guard also warded off a 35" Buckshot mounted tire coming at me off a jacked up CJ jeep...

I don't think they make brush guards for mini SUV's like the Escape.
    Good to hear you didn't mash it up...or your self......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have a cactus smasher on the Escape but I would not count on it to deflect anything but the attention of classy women!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Classy women?....LOL....I like mine just a little on the trashy side......(looking around to see if,....The Boss.... is watching this)

whether or not I hit the brakes depends on if I have some knucklehead tailgating me. I have only hit two deer in my life. the first one was in a 94 s10 blazer and that only took out one headlight in the grill. the other one was in a 91 chevy cavalier and that took out the whole front end. in both cases, the deer lived, or at least took off and died somewhere else. I guess that's what happens when you use a small caliber vehicle!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

It's all about lane placement. A Smart Car could take down an elephant with proper lane placement.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    How far off the road does it still count as road kill.....?

You'll have to ask Nell that question. She's the only one I know that goes off roading to run down deer.

Haven't hit a deer hard enough to do damage for a lot of year.......or kill the deer.

The "lane placement" comes with "site picture"......that the one in front of you, isn't the one to worry about....the next deer that you don't see, is the one that get ya.

Hit one with a city GMC dump truck,... way back when......full of gravel and about 50 miles an hour......was like punting a foot ball...thump and fly through the air.

Was a small blood/ hair and tallow smudge... on the front or the steel bumper.

Ain't that the truth. Many years ago I was driving my boss's brand new company car in downtown Columbia, MO. A deer ran across the street in front of me and an oncoming car. "Dang!" I said. "That was a deer!" At about the same time a second one ran out and the oncoming car nailed it. The deer spun around in the road and took the driver's mirror off the car I was driving. Did I mention it was brand new? Did I mention it was my boss's car? Always look for the second one. It's interesting that I never got to drive that car again. Ever. That's the only deer I've ever hit. Evil car.

When I turned the car in I said I've got good news and bad news. The good news is I missed the first deer.

what was the bad news..........your boss does not like grilled venison?

I work for 911 here in our county and I can't count how many people hit deer on the roads out here. It amazes me the amount of damage some of them can do to a vehicle. I'll go way out of my way to avoid hitting one if I can.

However, as far as roadkill goes, if it's trapping season and I see a fresh raccoon or possum or if I'm lucky a bobcat that's been hit, I scoop that joker right up and take it home to skin it out for the fur buyer. That's money laying on the side of the road right there! You can get $75 for a nice bobcat around here. After one good season, you could probably afford to get new tires for the truck doing that!

It's been out a while. If you haven't heard it, it is worth the listen.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post

It's been out a while. If you haven't heard it, it is worth the listen.
    Always thought the caller was blond....LOL.......Good one.

4 yrs ago i went hunting for the first time with my brother started in sept with archery season,then went to muzzleloader then to rifle season,never got anything......final day of rifle season went right until end of the day,packed up guns anouf 5 min out of town we hit a good sized doe with the minivan we where driving,broke one rear leg pretty bad was clear it wasnt going to make it so we put it down,took it home and made sausage out of rest of deer that wasnt damaged lol
    D

I'm sure that most folks have heard the expression --- When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

I'm liking yours better though --- When life hands you a deer, make sausage.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thats kinda the way we looked at it,and it did make good sausage and everyone thinks its pretty damn funny with the exception of my bro

i almost got a 10pointer on the way home for the show at night and on a curve no less glad
    i missed it though. another time in the 4x4 i hit a little fawn about 30in tall just rolled under
    the truck. that really felt bad it was so small. then some guy comes up behind me looks at the deer
    drives off around the mile
    on the way back from the store it was gone my guess he grabbed it waste not want not i guess.

Only ever hit 1 deer. Wasn't my vehicle . Back in the 80's I was driving a K car for the Tennessee NG when one crossed in front of me and then doubled back. Buckled the hood a bit and took out the grill the ran off. Now you that have been in uniform can see what's coming. When I got back to the office there was a drawing on the whiteboard of a k-car with monster tires and a label of Quadruped Assalt Vehicle.