Thread: Ruger Single-Six .22lr/Mag WMR convertible Revolver, good for camping?

Banned

Default Ruger Single-Six .22lr/Mag WMR convertible Revolver, good for camping?

Yesterday I bought a used Ruger Single-Six 22 Revolver with both cylinders .22lr and Magnum (WMR) for a fair but not great price of $325 ($352 including tax all total, background check took about 5 minutes). 5.5" blued, fixed cowboy sites, should be OK for camping and plinking, close range varmints and small game that are human friendly and stupid, but MOSTLY killing paper targets! As a sign I stopped by Walmart and they had Federal AutoMatch (S.V. 1200 fps) for $16.97 so I bought just two boxes of 325 rounds (5.2 cents/round) left some for others (had to run all over store to find someone with key to open case) because I have purchased well over 6000 .22lr in last 6 months and am way over stocked, its a freaking fire hazard if safe was ever left open. My daughter and wife gets ticked off when I spend hours plinking hundreds of rounds, wish I had boys not girls.

specs:
    http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...le/models.html

So I have mostly used semi-autos with rimfire which jams frequently (> 1/100) even when gun is very clean and well maintained and using high velocity like CCI mini-mags or CCI Stingers or Winchester or Rem Yellow Jackets etc. But I would like to slow it down a little, take more time with each shot and have more options in what ammo I can shoot. Often when I go to local stores they don't have any High Velocity at all, even in the Lone Star state, OMG!!!

So how many of y'all have used a .22 Ruger Single-Six for camping and like it and find it fairly reliable? I know that about 10 years ago used were selling for under $200 and there are still some for about $250 on Armslist/Gunbroker etc but this one was appeared to be in great condition (I think??) and from one of the better independent gun shops in the area. I will not be able to get to a gun range or place to shoot until some time next week at the earliest to test it out. They would not budge on price and I was paying all cash, mostly to hide purchase from wife who has me on no new toys ban. We must conserve $ so we can blow it on silly vacation to NYC because my teen daughter wants to go back there again. OMG just shoot me now, large cities on East coast are top of my list as worst vacation EVER!!!! NYC horrible!!! at least for me, what we do for our kids. I would rather drive a railroad spike thru my foot and spin on it. Will leave all my guns and knives at home and trust great LEO of NYC. Been nice knowing y'all.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 06-18-2015 at 09:25 AM. Reason: math oops

I've owned one since 1976 and have nothing but good words for it. I like it in both .22 and .22 WMR. I probably like the WMR better but either way it's just a lot of fun.

EDIT: For the heck of it I pulled the original receipt. Looks like I bought it in '78 for $115.50.

Prices around here for Ruger Single Six is in the $350 range, and you are luck to find one with both cylinders.
    The Heritage Arms version is real popular these days because of this.

I carried the Single 6 in my fanny pack (how 80's) in a lot of places that didn't allowed them, never had to use it unless I was just practicing, have moved on one of several larger caliber offerings.....but I still consider it as the "forage gun".

At one time the Single 6 and a 20ga/.22 mag Savage 24 were "the truck guns".....
    Have moved on from that as well.

DW has given up on me....but do recall a Sunday afternoon when she returned for shopping....I had been at the range, she caught me cleaning both the Single 6 and the Ruger Bisley .44 mag, on the coffee table......at the same time. (Whoops)

"Oh, I didn't know you had "two" of those...How long have you had them?"

"These?....Oh yeah been a long time....That's my story and I'm sticking to it."
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

I have a similar piece but it's an off brand, not a Ruger. I'd take the Ruger over it any day of the week! for camping I usually carry my Ruger Mark II, semi-auto, .22lr. It is a lot more accurate than the single six that I have. Looking at the price they quote on the link you provided you did really good. Ruger guarantees their guns for life!...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I've owned one since 1976 and have nothing but good words for it. I like it in both .22 and .22 WMR. I probably like the WMR better but either way it's just a lot of fun.

EDIT: For the heck of it I pulled the original receipt. Looks like I bought it in '78 for $115.50.
    Me too, mine says "Made in the 200th year of American Liberty" on top of the barrel. I cannot wear this thing out ! Takes any ammo that will fit it and shoots very accurate - my favorite trail gun ! You made a wise choice my friend.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

I've used my Single Six quite a bit - all at the range. Never had any issues with it at all.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I had a single six with a long barrel,I think 10 inch or so. I liked it but the barrel was too long for me as far as I was concerned. Can't remember what become of it. Been thinking of picking up a ruger bearcat, I think that's what it's called.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I have had a few, but they have all moved to new houses. Work very well for a camp gun, and I would not have let them go, except for equipping good friends and family. I now have a Double Nine and an H&R to fit in that role. Both are convertible, and both fit me well.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Banned

Default boys and their toys

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I had a single six with a long barrel,I think 10 inch or so. I liked it but the barrel was too long for me as far as I was concerned. Can't remember what become of it. Been thinking of picking up a ruger bearcat, I think that's what it's called.
    A longer barrel should have more muzzle velocity, energy and accuracy but not as portable obviously. This website attempts to be scientific but they admit they are not 100% accurate, very difficult to be. I find it useful for ball park figures/estimates.
    http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22mag.html

A friend of mine who I hunted hogs/deer with (using rifles such as .264 mag and .270) also used long barrel pistol, large caliber for hogs some, but he had shot competitively in college. So a long barrel .22 convertible revolver or semi-auto might do well for small game within 25 yards I would not shoot hogs over 50 pounds or even 20 pounds personally. My eyesight is so bad that without a scope I cannot hit anything less than 3" diameter beyond 15 yards reliably with a Ruger 10/22 rifle iron sighted. It is not fun getting old. So this revolver is mostly just for multi rounds (CCI Quite22, Aguila Colibri (modern day shorts) up to CCI Maxi-Mags (WMR) which I bought a 50 round box of yesterday for $12 at Walmart they are hard to find now as well, also got the local limit, one box of 300/rounds of CCI Mini-Mags for $22) at range and occasionally when primitive camping where it is allowed i.e. plinking and small game and varmints. So basically just fun non semi-auto stuff. With 10-30 round magazines in semi-auto I go thru 500 rounds very fast at indoor/ or out pistol range with .22lr then run all over town restocking like a fool. ha ha ha such a child... I wonder why there is a .22lr shortage in this country??? OH wait I think I figured it out...

BTW I rarely see .22 short in stores these days and they are typically more than .22lr cheapest was $8.37/100 but I also saw some in Denton, Texas for $9.47/100 rounds. I asked the lady at the counter is that for a box of 500 or just 100 OMG!!! With tax over 10 cents per round for a SHORT!!! What The Heck! at a Walmart in a small town! She just shrugged, I was on my way to paddle with a University of North Texas Environmental Science class at the flooded Ray Roberts Lake so had to recompose myself. I look a little scary already. Friends call me Uncle Si Roberson, but I am younger and better looking than him.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 06-19-2015 at 06:59 AM. Reason: $ for shorts, WTH

Banned

Default Fanny packs and gun gear

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I carried the Single 6 in my fanny pack (how 80's) in a lot of places that didn't allowed them, never had to use it unless I was just practicing, have moved on one of several larger caliber offerings.....but I still consider it as the "forage gun".
    Funny, I have 3 fanny packs but rarely use them. Just pullout out Camo "Game Winner" but I cannot get revolver completely in it, handle sticks out a little bit, 4.5" or Bearcat would fit so I would still need holster for this 5.5" barrel, good thing come January Texas is finally fixing post Civil War nonsense and allowing open carry with CHL. I mostly used this F-pack for centerfire rounds, bug spray, dove, shot gun shells etc. Also have one for minimum fishing gear, and friend gave me a water resistant roll top "Seal Line" one I occasionally use kayak/canoeing, it is great for western white water, keeps silt off water proof camera lens and sun screen, snacks etc. It gets the most use. Also my daughter borrows one a few days/year for 80's or nerd days at high school. I am so happy I can help my kids look like the dork that I am.

That fanny pack was carried camping, fishing, canoeing and always in the truck if not worn....stocked as a PSK before there was officially that such a thing.....way back to 80's.

Has been replaced but now repurposed as a metal detector tool carried....for quite a while..

Funny happenstance while canoeing in a state park on the Mississippi/Wisconsin Rivers....fishing out of a canoe, bumped into a dead tree that tipped over in the back waster pool....water moccasin dropped in the canoe....buddy was hollering "Shoot it, shoot it".

Well, wasn't really time to pick up the bag, unzip it, get it out and make noise in a no guns allowed area....and shoot hole in the aluminum canoe......
    So just took my paddle and flipped him(her?) over board.....but was still trying to get back in the boat...so we hightailed it out of there.

There is tha fallicity of having a CC handy when needed....and how many holes can you keep afloat with.

That fanny pack was carried camping, fishing, canoeing and always in the truck if not worn....stocked as a PSK before there was officially that such a thing.....way back to 80's.

Has been replaced but now repurposed as a metal detector tool carried....for quite a while..

Funny happenstance while canoeing in a state park on the Mississippi/Wisconsin Rivers....fishing out of a canoe, bumped into a dead tree that tipped over in the back waster pool....water moccasin dropped in the canoe....buddy was hollering "Shoot it, shoot it".

Well, wasn't really time to pick up the bag, unzip it, get it out and make noise in a no guns allowed area....and shoot hole in the aluminum canoe......
    So just took my paddle and flipped him(her?) over board.....but was still trying to get back in the boat...so we hightailed it out of there.

There is tha fallicity of having a CC handy when needed....and how many holes can you keep afloat with.
    I can't believe you flipped your buddy into the water like that......and left him.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

LOL....Well I guess I didn't make that real clear....BUT

By flipping my fishing buddy out of the boat...would give the snake something to go after....kinda like out running your buddy when chased by a bear.....allowing a clean get a way.
    Yeah, That's the ticket......

My very first hand gun. Ruger Single Six. Christmas present 1968. I have carried it everywhere. It is not one of the "convertibles" I bought one of those in 1971. I would not take or trade either of them. They are the ones I used to teach my kids and my grandkids how to shoot a pistol. I have used them to take lots of game. Rabbits, squirrels, turtles, carp, and various other varmints have fallen to that Single Six. Beer cans tremble when they see me pull them. I consider them to be very high on the list of "must have" rim fire options myself. I also really like the Ruger Standard and Mk 1 Target Models and several other variations of Mr. Ruger's semi Auto 22.

LOL....Well I guess I didn't make that real clear....BUT

By flipping my fishing buddy out of the boat...would give the snake something to go after....kinda like out running your buddy when chased by a bear.....allowing a clean get a way.
    Yeah, That's the ticket......
    I'm thinking that beer was involved......at least in my version.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I'm thinking that beer was involved......at least in my version.
    Well.....Yeah, ....Duh.....LOL...it's 5 o;clock somewhere.