Thread: my "new"carry gun

Default my "new"carry gun

I dusted off a old m&p smith and wesson in 38 special with a 5 inch barrel. I scrounged up a web belt and a flap holster from my goodie box. I've been using this as a carry gun for my daily walks. I keep it with me in case the coyotes mess with my dog. I have grown rather fond of the dog and gun.

I've decided to replace my 22 rimfire handguns with the m&p. The time has come to start working on hand loads for small game.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I went to the 38 as a replacement for the .22 a couple of years back, but I have never been a .22 pistol person. Pistols are defensive weapons and should carry more punch than a .22 to start with.

.38 special in an old M&P is limited on reloading options. I found a standard load that shoots to the sights on my S&W back in 1974 and have used that same load until recently. 150/158 grain SWC bullet on top of 4.5 grains of Unique for right at 800fps. I have one disk on my Lee press set up for that load and it did not change a setting for almost 40 years!

I did change out a die now and then due to wearing them out! Thank God for carbide reloading dies.

The reason I finally changed was the shortage of powder. Now I load whatever I can get my hands on and run the charge through the chrono until I get 800fps.

Just about anything will work in a .38. It is tried and true and there is a ton of load data out there. I have loaded some Winchester SHC and some ETR7. My son has run a lot of Red Dot and some Green Dot and I have used Accurate #2 and #5 in the past.

Every once in a while I will cast some 148gn wad-cutters and they always shoot well.

I love my .38s! I prefer them over the 9mm by a long shot.

No brass to chase through the grass.

BTW the lead bullets just punch a 38 caliber hole straight through rabbits and such. No messed up meat at all. And they do just drop dead on the spot, just drop like a rock.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-13-2015 at 09:26 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Yeah, but can you take an elephant with your 38 like you can with a 22.

It's all about shot placement........right?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I inherited a .38 M&P. It was a safe queen for a long time because it came from an uncle. I finally took it out last year and absolutely love that rascal. I have shot a lot of .38 in a couple of Rugers that I have but that S&W is just a dream to shoot.

it's the longest barrel 38 special I own.There is a charter arms and a ladysmith both are short barreled. There are a few.357 magnums but for some reason I get a kick out of this old gun.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

nice!!, mine has the 5 inch barrel

I just realized I indicated the barrel length in the OP LOL

I guess those old S&W are hiding from me....the only one if seen have been worn out, over prices, and one had a previous owners social security number on the frame.

Like the idea of the .38...or even a .357 as their loading options are many and varied.
    I consider them the ideal pack and protection gun.

Thanks for posting pic....at least I know what they look like.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

peezo jeets just went and did a web search, when did this stuff become so expensive?

You can still get a police trade in .38 S&W for around $300 at Buds.

And us old gun mechanics know a few tricks that can be done to an M&P or model 10 that will make your eyes light up.

One of the nice things about them is that parts are still available and if you mess up a spring or lever you can replace it for a couple of dollars.

And with these old revolvers it is shot placement that counts. You only have 6 chances and you better make them count. No praying and spraying with a M&P. Thankfully they will place their shots right where you are looking.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    peezo jeets just went and did a web search, when did this stuff become so expensive?
    When I started looking......and I guess I'm not in the area for the pawn shop $150 buck safe queens you hear about every on else finding.....Woe is me,...Boo hoo, whine and complain.....

Those prices are one of the reasons for the rise of the autopistol as preferred carry gun.

You can buy a base line S&W auto in 9mm/.40 for less than $300 while a Model 10 new will cost you $500.

I have also been shooting the crap out of Rossi and Taurus 4" revolvers as field guns for the past 30 years too. They have held up just as well as the Smiths but I only have 20-30 years on the Brazilians as compared to 70+ years on the Smiths.

I paired it up with a gently used Don Hume Border Patrol. Yeah, I'm a south paw.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I paired it up with a gently used Don Hume Border Patrol. Yeah, I'm a south paw.

South paw or not....that just says..."class".

Well, thank ya, thank ya very much. Uh, you gonna eat that jelly doughnut?

wow, that is a nice holster. My old "victory" flap holster looks like it has been through a couple wars.

I snagged an old style shoulder holster for mine out of the $5 box at the LGS a while back.

I did have to do a little patch work.

It fits all my K frames and works real good in cold weather under a baggy jacket.