Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear of clowns

Default Fear of clowns

The conversation in another thread got me thinking... I have a fear of clowns and always have had that fear. I've met other people who were also afraid of clowns. Now, I know this is a totally irrational fear, it makes no sense at all. Also, I'm not sure what triggers it, some clowns are ok to me. I've met a few rodeo clowns that I was ok with.

So what causes the fear of clowns? I can't even pin point the first time I noticed the fear.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You have not yet been to one of our jamborees.

Clowns are nothing!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Do you receive extra credit for fear of clowns wearing "hongs"?

There's nothing irrational about a fear of clowns. When I first read Stephen King's "It", I spent ages telling people "See...see, this is what I'm talking about!" Although in my case, it's less a case of fear than intense loathing.

As and when TSHTF, I plan to take out as many clowns as I can, then when things return to normal, claim they were trying to steal my supplies. No matter how serious my personal situation might be, I'll be happy to burn valuable time, ammunition and energy hunting down the buggers down.

And don't get me started on Mimes.
    Life is too short to hurry through.
    ~ Kenny Salwey

Catfish: that's essentially how I feel about corn fields.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Stephen King's "It" always comes up, lol. It's not really a fair comparison though, because they could have replaced the clown with just about any other profession and they could have made it just as scary. I think it sticks out in people's minds because fear of clowns is already fairly common so when you see one when they're trying to be scary, then it's that much more terrifying.

My mind also wanders back to the movie "Killer Klowns from Outer Space" (1988). But again, not really fair because they were actually aliens.

Like I said, some clowns are ok with me. Rodeo clowns for example, the two guys from ICP (although I don't care for their music, I don't find them scary), Harley Quinn from Batman... But others are freaking terrifying.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you brought it up.....

When I was a kid & went to the circus I always looked forward to the clowns. they were hilarious and made me laugh. I don't get this "fear of clown" at all. That to me is like saying you're afraid of cute little puppies. Now zombies on the other hand....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    When I was a kid & went to the circus I always looked forward to the clowns. they were hilarious and made me laugh. I don't get this "fear of clown" at all. That to me is like saying you're afraid of cute little puppies. Now zombies on the other hand....
    I have never once had zombies (or puppies) hiding under my bed waiting to eat me as soon as I fall asleep. Terrible comparison imo.
    ~ Kenny Salwey

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

We can satisfy everyone's irrational fears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK7Hm5IztPc

Zombie clowns!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Well, I can't imagine they can run very fast.....with those big shoes and all........and clown suits aren't really camo kinda stand out.
    So should make good targets......

Oh, Honey, gonna be needing a new "clown gun"........guy here on the interweb is talking about it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Being scared, really scared sucks. I don't get the clown fear either, but at least you know up front that you have the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Well, I can't imagine they can run very fast.....with those big shoes and all........and clown suits aren't really camo kinda stand out.
    So should make good targets......

Oh, Honey, gonna be needing a new "clown gun"........guy here on the interweb is talking about it.
    Kids: "Daddy, we're huuuungreee. Did you bring us home anything to eat?"
    Daddy: "Well, no kids. Not this time but look what I did bring."
    (Holds up red plastic nose)
    Kids: "Yaaaaayyy! We love you Daddy!"
    ~ Kenny Salwey

It's an irrational fear. No idea where it comes from, but it is real. I suppose you could say that when people are very young, they don't understand the humor and seeing an odd looking stranger that is doing things you don't understand could scar a little one... But then again, no one (or very few people) are afraid of Santa Claus, which you would think would be a bigger issue than clowns. And they flat out tell you "he sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake" and other creepy things like that. Sneaking into your house at night and so on.

Clowns, not a problem, ..........now on the other hand, aliens (space kind, all fun and game till the mother ship shows up....) ninja's, not a favorite when you see one out of context....and Zombies (solved that with a real good selection of Airsoft weapons)......Just for starters.

I am claustrophobic. I believe I got that way playing hide and go seek when I was a child. I hid in a toy box bench and there wasn't quite enough room to close the lid. My brother and sister sat on that lid and I was completely pinned and couldn't move. I felt like I couldn't move.

I have lived with that fear and pushed past it. But, it is a hugely debilitating deal. I worked in tight attic my whole life and I have had to slide under bar joists and had my ears pinned between them. LOL Not being able to move in a dark confined place with claustrophobia. The scream within is unbelievable. But, I had to push through mentally.

I try to meet every fear head on and teach the same thing. But, I am lying if I tell you it is not pure torture for me to lie through and MRI.

If I had a fear of clowns I would address it. But, honestly, how hard is it to avoid circus clowns these days?

Well, If I saw one on the street....I guess I would be concerned.

Not real good a heights, and yeah, had to power thru work on roof top units and really tall ladders....

I have no fear of heights even after having fallen several times from high heights. Including once 8 stories on to concrete.

But, my brother Sean had a fear of heights. And the guy he worked with on our 85' boom truck does too. He took Sean all the way up and kinda screwed with him . Sean said, "I am ok with being this high up in a basket. The other guy, Shawn, said, "Really, I am not!"

To be fair, Shawn wants the big truck. We have 19 trucks and the two biggest are the 85' Shawn drives and the a 75' we just bought. Shawn handles our highest boom truck and does swing stage work to maintain his top guy status with us. He draws the line at high angle rope work. Something I love.

I deal with a lot of people that are afraid of spiders. I hand someone a wild caught alligator and they are all eager to hold it. I hand someone a spider and way more than half of the people I meet can not handle it. Probably 75% of the people I get to handle a spider will regain there fear of spiders within hours or days.

Why would anybody be afraid of clowns?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sounds like yo will have less to fear!

Clown Shortage
    http://newsfeed.time.com/2014/02/18/...-groups-warns/

The only clown that ever creeped me out was the one in the movie Poltergeist.
    Last edited by LowKey; 06-14-2015 at 09:59 PM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant