Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tone Ring ???

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhound View Post
    Just pull the ABS fuse if you are comfortable driving without it. We have removed the ABS on all of our vehicles. It is no substitute for the human brain and gets in the way more than it helps.
    Some times is difficult to tell which one of the 180+ fuses in two fuse boxes is the correct one......
    Later model trucks and cars do not provide a legend and wiring diagram.

Then add to the situation that the "brain box" reads the voltage in a circuit, and may shut down something else.

Had to get a OEM printout on my 2008 Ford truck.....nothing in the book after I shorted a trailer light left side tail light circuit....(BYW fuse 145)

Old day was easy......not no more.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Wolfhound, that is not sound advice. First, ABS is often tied into other systems such as engine management (And the Ford Escape is one of them) which can cause other issues. Second, if there is an accident and it is discovered that something is disabled then you can be held criminally and civilly liable for it and insurance may not cover the incident either. Finally, many states have vehicle inspection/standard requirements and disabling safety devices and/or systems can prevent the ability for the car to be legally driven.

I understand your logic, but for a few hundred dollars it is just better to get it fixed. Which Kyrat already did.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Fact is, I fixed the rings on both sides. Two new half shafts and replacement of the tie rod ends at the same time. The little car drives like new.

I also learned that I have low air pressure indicators that I was not aware of. How did I find that out?
    Another light started glowing. Freekin' dashboard looks like a Christmas tree! I was not but 5 pounds down from the spec pressure and the light came on.

As for disconnecting the ABS, that ain't going to happen. On several occasions the presence of the ABS has saved my bacon. On at least one occasion it probably saved my life. I topped a hill at 60 to face stalled traffic. I had about 2 seconds to stand on the brake and the ABS kicked in. It slowed me from 60 down to about 30, in what seemed a little better than 50 feet, before I plowed into the line of cars. I totaled a good Ford PU and the last two cars in the line, but I walked away without a scratch thanks to ABS, air bags and seat belts.

The ABS stays!

BTW, the only injury in that crash was the girl in the third car forward. She smacked herself in the head with her cell phone and had to be treated for a concussion. The responders got a real kick out of that.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Gotta love the "Low tire pressure" indicator......

Blasting down the highway, 3:00 A.M. heading out for duck season opener......truck with hunting partner, dog, ...boat on the back on a trailer.....
    Bing...Light on...WTH?.....Stopped, checked out the tires...all seemed to be up?....
    Factory pressure is 65 PSI.....

Nothing open, and the closed gas station "free air", now $1 buck....won't pump that high....lost some more pressure....
    To heck with it for now....

Dropped the boat in....parked, and went hunting till dark.
    Expected a flat tire when we were getting off the lake.

No, tire still up.....find a truck stop that had a real compressor....pumped it back up....light went out.

Got to thinking about the last service at the dealer....dug out receipt...was noted that they had "adjusted the tire pressure, had been too high'.....???

When I got home stopped at the dealer and asked him why they messed with the tires....Guy said the tech had set it to exactly 65 PSI pounds....low tire pressure indicator goes off around 63 PSI.
    65 PSI, on hot day, vs cold morning=63 PSI...Bing, Bing, Bing...light on......and much un-needed anguish.

Said thank you very much....but leave it be next time...
    Last edited by hunter63; 10-30-2015 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    won't pump that high....lost some more pressure....
    [URL="http://Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.[/URL]

No, seriously.....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The TPI (Tire Pressure Indicator) is a pain in the @$$ thing that the Federal DOT mandated in either '07 or '08 for safety and fuel economy purposes. Factory recommended PSI +/- 3PSI is the standard. I had one of those sensors actually go out. $239+tax at the dealer, $189 +tax at local shop. Stupid sensor costs more than the tire!

It's unnecessary crap like this that drives the costs of cars up. That is why it is nearly impossible to find a used car under $10k with less than 100k miles. So stupid......

Geez, and people wonder why I'm in no hurry to get rid of my 1997 Saturn.

I hear ya...the 1999 Ford PU crew cab 4 x4 is at 125K and is still a daily driver.....
    Bought new, and mostly kept in the garage while I drove service trucks.

wow and the tread held and nobody mentioned "Federal Regulations...." whew! Close call Natertot!
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    wow and the tread held and nobody mentioned "Federal Regulations...." whew! Close call Natertot!
    Lol! No matter what you call it, it is a suck factor implemented by gov't. Plain and simple......