Thread: Thermos flasks in the wilderness

Default Thermos flasks in the wilderness

I've used the search function but in all the conversations about the stuff we haul around, I don't see much mention of one of my favorite tools, the thermos flask. Does anybody else use them?

I'm planning to head out for a couple of nights in the woods this weekend, leaving after work on Friday and getting home on Sunday. I'll be cooking up a batch of chilli before I go and will put some in my trusty thermos to have for dinner the first night. After that, I'll use it to keep water cool.

Seems to me a thermos would come in handy any time you were on the move. Particularly in wet and cold weather when a hot meal would be welcome but it might not be convenient to take the time to build a fire or set up the stove. If you have a fire at breakfast time, it's easy enough to heat up some coffee, soup, stew, whatever and drop it on your thermos to enjoy later in the day. Sometimes I'll put oatmeal and boiling water in my thermos before I go to bed and have breakfast all ready when I get up. Alternatively if it's hot, you can filter water from the stream and keep it cool and therefore, more appealing.

Just me?
    Life is too short to hurry through.
    ~ Kenny Salwey

Not me. Food is just too easy to fix to carry the added weight. I can carry the same stuff dehydrated and not have to carry the thermos or the additional liquid that makes up the meal. Having said that, if it works for you then enjoy!!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I use them when on short and planned trips, especially when hunting.

Any time the weather is cold or wet and I want hot food without having to deal with a fire, or in places where fire is not allowed.

I have two BIGGG wildlife management areas close to my house where camping is not allowed and fires are not allowed. Even when I am not anticipating being gone for the whole day I will sometimes just take a thermos of coffee along, even if I leave it in the Jeep for when the hunt is over.

It is part of my general gear but I do not consider them "survival tools".
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

My hunting "kits" are always equipped with thermos bottles of various sizes...fanny pack has a "2 shooter" (2 cups)in it at all times...
    And the big Stanley has been most everywhere I have been and looks it......mostly just coffee....

Is in it's place, on the front seat tucked under the console on the truck as we speak. (actually this is a kinda newer one, the old Stanley has been retired.

That said, not on long term hiking, camping or primitive camping trips.....too heavy and no good way to carry it....maybe the first use of paracord was a sling for the Stanley.
    Never carry for food.......just coffee or water after the coffee is gone.

BTW stainless steel liners made the whole take along thing possible....cant even tell ya how many glass liners I broke...LOL

2 shooter and fanny pack

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by hunter63; 06-11-2015 at 01:37 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Car camping, canoe camping or on a day hike - the thermos is my friend. Longer hikes (which are rare nowadays) I prefer not to bring the added weight as others have said.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I use them when I am hunting out of my stands. Take hot water to use for cup o'soup and hot chocolate after I leave the stand at the truck. I have not used them backpacking because of the bulk and weight trade off. Great tools!

I bring a thermos when I go surf fishing. But it stays in the truck. Depending on the season. In spring and fall, it's nice to come back in off the mile long beach and have a good hot coffee. Any time during the summer though, there is a cooler in the truck full of ice. Waiting for fish, but most often just keeping the cold drinks cold. I do carry 2 frozen ice waters out with me. They not only provide a cool drink, they keep the damn fish that bites in the first five minutes chilled for another hour or two so I don't have to head right back in. If you've ever walked a mile in soft sand, you'll get why I travel light out there.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

image.jpg

Sea to summit insulated mug. No way id bring a big old thermos. Even this is just a comfort item for a warm cup of coffee.
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/Wi...3126b.gif.html

Carry one in truck. Getting an early start to kayak put in then have breakfast and coffee with the sunrise. Haven't carried one hiking.

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

whenever I come across one of the large round ones
    I use them for a " quick access " cache container
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia