Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Friction fire for old farts who's knees don't bend any longer ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    Gang,

Due to my arthritis getting worse and my knees not being able to bend comfortably any longer, I was wondering if anyone knows of a friction fire method that doesn't require kneeling ? My knees will bend but it is very painful for me, especially when I get down on my knees and rest my weight on them. I have been successful with the bow drill in the past but now since I have trouble getting up and down, its next to impossible. I can do the ferro rod thing, flint/steel/char cloth, magnifying glass, and Bic lighter, but miss showing off friction fire to the young folks. Anyone got any advice ?
    Ahh the owl doesn't joke or pull puns all the time... wrap your head around this historic "oops" of miss-information. Keep in mind nutritionists got it very wrong for the last 40 years. Eating small amounts of fat are good for you. Fats are clearly converted to energy. Sugars overwhelm the pancreas, and do supply a short burst. Bottom forgotten line? Aspic was the accepted food prior to the mistake. Yes IN the 60's masses of people ate Jello and Aspic's - the bone marrow feeds the joints. Jello delivers too little marrow and is too full of sugar, so I add a packet of plain to every packet using the ice approach - well it works the pain gets less and less over the months, because this is very slow absorbing...

that's a IMO from the Owl.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I brought it up earlier in this thread and wanted to check back to see if anyone actually tried POM and if it helps you?

hello
    We are a nation of creaky knees.
    One in three people over the age of 40 experiences knee pain at some stage, and recent research suggests more Britons under the age of 50 are undergoing knee replacements.
    The study, published in the journal Arthritis & Rheumatism, also showed a 5.7 per cent increase in the number of knee replacements in Britain last year— knee replacements now outnumber hip replacements.
    Experts say obesity is partly to blame, combined with increasingly sedentary lifestyles.
    ‘Research shows the obese are up to four times as likely to develop knee osteoarthritis as they are high blood pressure or type 2 diabetes,’ says Professor Alan Silman, medical director of Arthritis Research UK.
    ‘The good news is that weight loss and exercise combined have been shown to achieve the same level of symptom relief as joint replacement surgery.’
    But arthritis isn’t the only cause.
    Here, we look at common knee problems — and what you can do about them.

Okay. I'm done with your copy and paste crap. Adios.

Saw that guy on here this morning and figured someone would ask for references to those posts. All done in different writing styles I thought.
    Goodbye, akinet. We hardly knew ye.
    ( Actually crossed my mind that Txyker was amongst us under another name, but posts were way too short.)
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by Pete lynch
    posts were way too short

Now that right there is funny I don't care who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
    Saw that guy on here this morning and figured someone would ask for references to those posts. All done in different writing styles I thought.
    Goodbye, akinet. We hardly knew ye.
    ( Actually crossed my mind that Txyker was amongst us under another name, but posts were way too short.)
    Well....The other recent bounce-ie reminded me of his style, with the Yankee stuff........But hey, didn't get around to long posts...just a couple of personal attacks.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yeah. If I have to do more than 2 revolutions of the mouse's scroll wheel to read a single post I just skip it. Mainly when the start of it is preachy.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

gosh reading all this i feel so old. my lambeygo actin actin up again.

Quote Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
    Yeah. If I have to do more than 2 revolutions of the mouse's scroll wheel to read a single post I just skip it. Mainly when the start of it is preachy.
    "Preachy".....Yeah, No Ship......That's the ticket....and you are correct....
    Besides my attention span isn't what it used to be.....Oh a shiny nickel....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

While I was in recovery from a tree related incident I modified my bow drill form by bracing my hand hold UNDER my knee and used a spindle just long enough to take advantage of the weight of my leg to apply downward pressure. This kept me from having to stress the broken knee and it also prevented the pins holding my wrist together from causing too much pain while sawing with the bow (my hand being tucked between my calf and thigh created a supportive brace). Also, move to a slightly narrower spindle and slightly longer bow to max out on mechanical advantage. Hope this helps.

you could do the bow drill with the hearth held against a tree, (I think?)

here's a sit down method,. lonnie's highly skilled and friendly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF10v5uTAHc

Have you tried inuit strap drill? It can be done in your lap or on a fallen log in the bush. I made an old video, let me see if I can dig it up... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN7Vf1Hr3fc In the process, I found other videos that do a better job of the "getting it off the ground" part. Just type in "strap drill" on youtube. Bunch of young folks really savvy with cameras are doing a great job out there.

Have you thought of flint and steel? I know it's not a bow drill, but if you use char cloth and some dry grass you can stand up and get a spark on the char cloth, then put that in a nest of dry grass and blow on it til the flame starts, then drop in in the fire pit and add the kinkling while standing up. You have your fire and didn't have to bend over. Or, use the ol bic, or matches.
    Last edited by scumbucket; 04-03-2016 at 02:09 PM. Reason: miss spelled word