Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Friction fire for old farts who's knees don't bend any longer ?

Good thread to read while you're sitting in physical therapy for your knees lol. I can't kneel for more than about 20 seconds without locking up and pain.
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/Wi...3126b.gif.html

I guess no one here has seen my friction fire videos. Here is one of them. This method is performed in a sitting position as you see in the video still picture.

Not sure if I like the .....hold the bearing block in the mouth, with a sharp pointy stick pointed at my face.........trick.
    Interesting though.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Not sure if I like the .....hold the bearing block in the mouth, with a sharp pointy stick pointed at my face.........trick.
    Interesting though.
    I'm with you Hunter - time to break out the trusty Bic !
    Last edited by Lamewolf; 06-18-2015 at 07:10 AM.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Not sure if I like the .....hold the bearing block in the mouth, with a sharp pointy stick pointed at my face.........
    There is no danger of hitting your face if you do as instructed in the video. I have performed this method many many times and have never had any close calls. My favorite is still bow drill but i am glad that I have this knowledge for when needed

Nice vid and instruction. I have seen strap drills before, but not done like this. Looks like another tool for the tool box. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks for sharing the video phreshayr, rep sent.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Nice vid and instruction. I have seen strap drills before, but not done like this. Looks like another tool for the tool box. Thanks.
    Thank you. The sitting position was the traditional way to do it in many locations around the Northern hemisphere

Wow, too cool for school. I was going to give the alternative answer and I see that the man himself posted up his video. I was actually going to link the video as I was watching it again not two days ago.
    Thank you phreshayr for the excellent video. I live in Illinois and it prompted my to begin looking for the best wood to utilize this system. Figure why not make it and throw into the ruck for practice (after I use the ol bic) If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Banned

Default Excellent Tool! Much better than the average monkey or politician!

Quote Originally Posted by phreshayr View Post
    Thank you. The sitting position was the traditional way to do it in many locations around the Northern hemisphere
    Very good demo video, thanks for sharing. If traveling ultra light you could just carry a carefully crafted custom mouth piece, strap and knife for sure. I would be surprised if something as effective as this was only use in the Northern Hemisphere but perhaps.

The so called "Indian Pump Drill" is not as easy to make because it requires more precise spindle and parts but can also be used in your lap to drill holes in wood etc. or start a friction fire. Besides being easy on the knees and back etc. If it is raining you can sit up on a sling chair (small hammock like device) or stump or whatever under your tarp or shelter while it rains and start a fire or work on your tools that require drilled holes etc. I.e. making a blow dart gun, flute, straw for getting water out of difficult places, etc.

http://www.historicalfolktoys.com/catcont/6007.html

Someone once said that getting our bellies off the ground and making effective tools is what separates us from the snakes and politicians...

Banned

Default DIY sling chair people with old/injured knees and backs

One of over 100+ ways to make a multipurpose hammock/sling chair to sit in while you create a friction fire in your lap with fire board and drill for some sort. Much lighter than a picnic table just incase your local wilderness does not have those.

You could also whip tie cordage to ends of a pair of blue jeans or cover to your back pack or any old fabric, hang that between two vertical posts/trees, or horizontal branches of same or different trees, tripods of poles carried in or cut from wild, whatever. A net or "Mayan" hammock/sling chair can also be used to hoist firewood and tinder up high just under a tarp to keep it mostly dry when it rains, or use as snare/trap for wild game or fish, or keep your backpack and other gear hoisted above range of varmints etc, many other uses. Making these out of bush crafted plant cordage takes forever but can be done if you are stuck in a 3 day thunderstorm with nothing else to do.

Also note that if your back need support just turn 90 degrees legs on either side of cords, one cord tied higher than other sit down close to one end to allow space to lean back, take a nap with your feet hanging out on the ground or slightly above ground so ants etc don't climb up. Beside the fire you just made with laptop fire bow set.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-28-2015 at 12:25 PM. Reason: typos

Banned

Default One tree sling chair, ultra light for hikers

Simple Sling Chair design by "Hog on Ice" only requires one tree/post and trekking posts, cross bar (or 3 cut small poles) and 2 grounds pegs but big advantage beside low weight is that you have more choice of locations you can place it. Other problem is that this video by Sargent Rock assumes you are familiar with some basic hammock jargon. If above tree line in mountains wedge rock in crack in side of cliff hang from there, if on sand bar use one tripod of poles.

For canoe/kayakers just use paddles not trekking poles, i.e. on a sand bar or beach.

Quote Originally Posted by miketraverse View Post
    ...........I live in Illinois and it prompted my to begin looking for the best wood to utilize this system. Figure why not make it and throw into the ruck for practice (after I use the ol bic) If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.
    The following website may be of use to you even though it is comprised of wood found on the west coast of the US.
    http://www.primitiveways.com/Fire%20...Materials.html

Blog Entries

I have a video of me using a hand drill to get a nice coal in 26 seconds while recovering from ACL replacement. I used a fallen tree to place everything on and it worked great. I found the yucca stalk that morning in the fog and took it home and made the video. Wam-O a big honking coal. I have received a lot of praise and attention from the video and preforming it for guys locally. Now lets fast foreword a few years to the present. I spent 3 hours trying to get a coal with a new bow drill using just cedar. Epic fail. So I when and got some yucca and still could not get a coal. Getting old sucks but like the OP refining and finding better more efficient ways to get things done is a must I think.

Now I just have to make certain there are cotton woods around and that I don't lose my ferro rod or fint and steel!!!
    Last edited by Erratus Animus; 08-08-2015 at 09:55 PM. Reason: forgot to put what I did it on
    Its the bits between birth and death that define a life well lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    Gang,

Due to my arthritis getting worse and my knees not being able to bend comfortably any longer, I was wondering if anyone knows of a friction fire method that doesn't require kneeling ? My knees will bend but it is very painful for me, especially when I get down on my knees and rest my weight on them. I have been successful with the bow drill in the past but now since I have trouble getting up and down, its next to impossible. I can do the ferro rod thing, flint/steel/charcloth, maginifying glass, and Bic lighter, but miss showing off friction fire to the young folks. Anyone got any advice ?

Here ya go: the Rudiger Fire Roll!

There are more than a few YouTubes describing the process. Here is one:

I have not yet done this but when I do I'll hunt up some Dogbane (Indian Hemp) or Milkweed for the fiber... I've made incredibly strong rope from fine Dogbane fibers, so I think it should stand up well to a vigorous rolling.

You could easily show the young 'uns how to make a friction fire while sitting down.

Thanks for the vid....
    I have seen the vid with the shop rag and ashes.....but kinda hard to find shop rags in nature.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I tried the ash roll and it did not work. I tried using white ash from live oak and shop rags and a few natural fibers. Every thing fell apart with no heat.

I have not tried the bark and stone method yet. I would imagine this (and the rags / ashes) technique would require exacting conditions (low, low humidity, and probably a bunch other factors we don't know about)? The videos are not exactly packed with details.

Another thing I wondered about...see that flat stone? If you didn't happen to have one "handy" if and when a wilderness situation required it...then what? Another bigger piece of bark?

sigh... Curiosity is getting the better of me. Now I must try this sooner, rather than later. (It was #478 on my list of things to do.)
    Last edited by Grizzlyette Adams; 08-29-2015 at 03:06 PM.
    Genius is making a way out of no way.

I've tried it with a tampon and coal from a previous fire with no luck.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

So many jokes. So little time.